Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Ingmar Bergman at 89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ingmar Bergman at 89

The great Swedish director Ingmar Bergman has passed away. European cinema has lost one of its best. Unforgetable are his Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries and many others. Fanny & Alexander I didn't see, but now I will. I think it depicts his childhood.
    Google ergo sum

Oh wow - a giant among cinema directors.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

The loss of a truly great director like Bergman is offset by the fact that he effectively retired 25 years ago, so we haven't been deprived of a final unproduced masterpiece by his death as with some directors who remained working until their deaths. (Of course, neither did we witness a decrease in quality which happens to some directors who keep working.) The Seventh Seal, Persona and Cries and Whispers remain perennial favourites of mine, and it's to be hoped that British TV will use the occasion of Bergman's passing to screen a season of his films.

I believe my mother's cousin, who lives in Sweden, interviewed and wrote a book about Bergman after his retirement a few years ago, which iirc focused on his theatrical work.
      Last edited by David Mosley; 07-30-2007, 07:43 AM.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Godspeed to him. He had good innings and delayed the end of the chess game for a long time. Death almost found his match in Bergman.

Kevin McCabe
        Kevin McCabe
        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Good cartoon in I think The New Statesman. Death's talking to a guy in a bar who's reading the news of Bergman's death. 'Of course, he wouldn't have been anywhere without me.' Great man. My friend Mai Zetterling worked with him and admired him. Like most Swedish directors of her generation, she was also strongly influenced by him.
          Last edited by Michael Moorcock; 08-10-2007, 06:56 PM.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Wouldn't have been anywhere without me; I like that. He really was a great fillum maker. What movies did your friend do?
            Kevin McCabe
            The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Working...
            X