Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Death of James Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of James Brown

The Godfather of Soul has passed away.

Soul star James Brown dies at 73

Singer James Brown, known as the "Godfather of Soul", has died at the age of 73, his agent has said.

He was admitted to hospital in Atlanta after being diagnosed with severe pneumonia but died at 0145 local time (0645 GMT), said Frank Copsidas.

The star was famous for hits including I Got You (I Feel Good), Papa's Got a Brand New Bag and Living in America.

"He is such an influence, I learned so much from him," Mr Copsidas told the BBC World Service.

"On Friday he had his toy giveaway, which is his annual toy giveaway in Augusta, Georgia.

"On Saturday, he went to his dentist up in Atlanta, and his dentist told him something was wrong, and he sent him to a doctor immediately."

Gospel roots

Brown was born in 1933 in South Carolina.

He joined a gospel group as a young man after his release from jail for trying to steal a car.

He had his first hit on the US rhythm and blues chart, Please Please Please, in 1956.

Brown had 94 hits on Billboard's mainstream Hot 100 in the US, according to his official website, and by the end of his career, he had a total repertoire of 800 songs.

However, he achieved only one top 10 single in the UK.

This was Living in America, from the soundtrack of the Sylvester Stallone film Rocky IV, which reached number five in 1986.

High-speed chase

Two years later, however, Brown returned to prison, convicted of aggravated assault and failing to stop for a police officer.

This followed a high-speed car chase through Georgia and South Carolina, which ended when police shot the tyres of his truck.

The star was credited with spreading the popularity of funk around the world, influencing a new generation of black music which spawned rap and hip-hop.

Brown, who had surgery for prostate cancer in 2004, appeared in London in October as part of the BBC's Electric Proms line-up.

At the time, he described how he planned to carry on as a performer, saying: "Everyone's got soul, whether it's talking, hip-hop, rap, gospel.

"We've gotta just stay with whatever we do.

"I don't wanna change, because then I'd have to name myself Sam Smith or Ted Wright or somebody. I'm going to be James Brown."

Last month Brown played at a ceremony at London's Alexandra Palace which saw his induction into the UK Music Hall of Fame, 20 years after entering the US equivalent.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6208615.stm
    Last edited by David Mosley; 12-25-2006, 02:03 AM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Very sad news.

Comment

I couldn't believe it when I read a newspaper article some 20 years back claiming that James Brown was addicted to PCP, and had been for years. It's a wonder that he survived as long as he did running such substances through his veins. It is a sad point in time when historical figureheads such as James B. pass on.

Comment

More than ever, this is a man's world...
        Free the West Memphis Three

Comment

Bye bye mighty James Brown. Let's hope this is one time he gets up there before he gets down and
          Heaven's a four lane interstate with nothing in the way and not a cop in sight.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
          X