Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Death of David Gemmell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of David Gemmell

BBC News reports:

Fantasy writer Gemmell dies at 57

Fantasy novelist David Gemmell, best known for stories such as Legend and Waylander, has died at the age of 57.

Gemmell had heart bypass surgery two weeks ago and appeared to be making a good recovery, according to his publisher Transworld.

His career began in 1984 with Legend, a tale of a fortress under siege. He wrote 30 novels in total.

Transworld managing director Larry Finlay said Gemmell was "writing at the peak of his powers".

"He was a true pleasure to work with," he said.

"We will surely miss him, as will his thousands of devoted fans around the world. Our thoughts are with his wife Stella and his two children."

A statement from the publisher said he died on Friday morning.

'Sense of adventure'
    It added: "His themes of heroic adventure, leadership, personal heroism and the possibility of redemption for every one of us ring as true today as they did when he first published the novel that was to become a classic of heroic fantasy, Legend."

SFX magazine editor Dave Bradley said: "Gemmell wrote heroic fantasy novels - he had a real sense of adventure about him, wrote stories about great battles.

"At the heart, they're cracking fantasy yarns but he also had a good eye for character and how people develop, like how a young soldier deals with war.

"He had masterful plotting and a real sense of how excitement builds in a story. His books were real page-turners."

The second part of a planned trilogy of historical novels, Troy: The Shield of Thunder No 2, is due to be published in September.

Born in west London in 1948, Gemmell was expelled from school for gambling and went on to work as a labourer, driver's assistant and bouncer.

One rejection letter he received in the early 1960s read: "You mention in your resume that you are working as a lorry driver's mate for Pepsi Cola. This is an occupation not without merit. Good luck with it."

He went on to become a journalist and editor of newspapers in Sussex, but his career ended after the publication of his third novel, Waylander, in 1986, after he used his colleagues' names for characters in the story.

"The managing director regarded it as a poisonous attack on his integrity," he later recalled.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5224868.stm
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

I had read a lots of his boock....and i reallyl iked him... i am still waiting for his last work which is not still avaiable in italy...

Comment

Certainly too young to die! A year younger than Roger Zelazny, who passed away at the young age of 58. How sad!

Comment

People are always to young to die ......

Sad .......

Comment

A great and horribly premature loss for all fans of heroic 'pulp' fantasy. I've read every new Gemmell on Christmas day for years now.
          Last edited by Kalessin; 07-28-2006, 11:40 AM.
          Arma virumque cano.

Comment

The guy was younger than my dad - very untimely age to die. I've only read a couple of his books - Legend (which had the feel of a prose graphic novel) and Wolf In Shadow. The Jerusalem man was a pretty interesting character IMO, although there were certain parallels with Stephen King's Dark Tower and Solomon Kane.

I certainly don't I agree with this sort of throwaway statement however (one of the public comments on the BBC site).

David Gemmell was without doubt the greatest fantasy writer of the last 50 years.
            Hmmmmm... Best-selling certainly. Greatest? Doubtful.
            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Still can't believe this.

He was certainly one of the best writers of heroic fantasy, and one of my favourite authors. I've read all of his books bar three and enjoyed them all.
              Last edited by Grey Mouser; 07-28-2006, 04:28 PM.

Comment

RIP David Gemmell

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5224868.stm

Comment

I only met him twice. Once when he was a boy in a second hand bookshop. He asked me if I'd ever read any Michael Moorcock, whose work he really liked. I told him Moorcock was crap, he shouldn't be reading that stuff. Years later I met him again, as a successful author.
                  Was that you ? he asked. It was, I said. You bastard, he said, that confused me for years. Affable bloke, the little I knew of him. I never read his work, only because I don't read much of the sort of stuff I write, on the whole.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Hillarious! I remember we discussed his book titles a few years ago on the old Q&A. White Wolf, Sword In The Storm, Stormrider... he was clearly influenced by you.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                      I only met him twice. Once when he was a boy in a second hand bookshop. He asked me if I'd ever read any Michael Moorcock, whose work he really liked. I told him Moorcock was crap, he shouldn't be reading that stuff. Years later I met him again, as a successful author.
                      Was that you ? he asked. It was, I said. You bastard, he said, that confused me for years. Affable bloke, the little I knew of him. I never read his work, only because I don't read much of the sort of stuff I write, on the whole.
                      Always nice to have nice memories of people. I personally am sadden as Gemmell was a writer I had just got into through his Jon Shannow stories. Surely missed.

Comment

" I told him Moorcock was crap, he shouldn't be reading that stuff"
                        Ahaha...Cool.
                        Anyway,I was sadly surprised to learn about Gemmell's death.He was quite young.Also it was a guy that liked ancient Greece,as far as I know.
                        Hell,I haven't read any of his books,although I had asked a friend to give me some.Once or twice I had almost bought the first book of the Drenai series but finally I changed my mind.I liked his style but always I chose something else.
                        Shit,I have to start renewing my list with the famous wirters.I don't like editing it when it comes to adding the dates of ones death,but I should do it anyway.

Comment

Very sad news indeed. I really liked his stuff. Time to post a memorial rose on my website. *sigh*

Comment

I've announced elsewhere the news of Kim McLagan. I still feel in shock about this and our hearts go out to Mac. An outstanding woman.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                            X