Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

18 Sept 1970 - A Dead Singer (35th anniversary of the death of Jimi Hendrix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Mosley
    Eternal Administrator
    • Jul 2004

18 Sept 1970 - A Dead Singer (35th anniversary of the death of Jimi Hendrix)

Just thought people might like to know that today (18th September) is the 35th anniversary of the death of Jimi Hendrix, who became the subject of Mike's 1974 story A Dead Singer.

Think I might settle down later and re-read it in remembrance.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."
  • DeepFixer
    Eternal Champion
    • Dec 2003

Chuck Berry invented Rock 'n' Roll Guitar, and Jimi Hendrix blew it through the roof!!
    Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

• GuyLawley
      Champion of the Balance
      • Aug 2004

The Gypsy Prince himself!

(See Tad Williams' story in Tales of the White Wolf, "Go Ask Elric")

Comment

• DeeCrowSeer
        Eternal Champion
        • Feb 2004

Well, I know what I'll be listening to while I work away this evening then! Thanks for the "heads up".

I just have to remember to close my computer down when I'm done, not set it on fire...
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

• Marca
          Eternal Champion
          • Aug 2004

It still amazes me that Voodoo Chile was a posthumous No. 1 for Hendrix in the UK... it's not your average chart-topper, even in the heady days of the late 60s/turn of the 70s. 8)
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
            Site Host
            • Dec 2003

I remember Jimi coming into the Flamingo with Chas Chandler. He was incredibly striking and this was long before he'd made Hey Joe. The next time I saw him was on Top of the Pops playing it and I was a fan from then on, though I thought he was getting a bit self-indulgent in the later stages of his career. Think he could have pulled out of it. I also remember talking to the girl who was with him when he died. I was angry with her, I must say, but then I realised she was just basically thick and probably didn't know enough about drugs to help him. Still, if only she'd called the ambulance a bit earlier... I think he would have straightened out and started doing some fine new stuff. That, I suppose, is the reason for writing A Dead Singer. Even if he'd just done one or two albums, he would still be one of the greatest rock musicians ever.
            Genius is genius.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
              Site Host
              • Dec 2003

I remember Jimi coming into the Flamingo with Chas Chandler. He was incredibly striking and this was long before he'd made Hey Joe. The next time I saw him was on Top of the Pops playing it and I was a fan from then on, though I thought he was getting a bit self-indulgent in the later stages of his career. Think he could have pulled out of it. I also remember talking to the girl who was with him when he died. I was angry with her, I must say, but then I realised she was just basically thick and probably didn't know enough about drugs to help him. Still, if only she'd called the ambulance a bit earlier... I think he would have straightened out and started doing some fine new stuff. That, I suppose, is the reason for writing A Dead Singer. Even if he'd just done one or two albums, he would still be one of the greatest rock musicians ever.
              Genius is genius.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
              X