Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Andre Norton R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andre Norton R.I.P.

It is with much sadness that I heard earlier today that Ms. Norton passed away at home. I am sure that many of the people here have read, and loved her stories.

Ken
    Ken Boorman
    Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Andre Norton wrote some of my earliest Science Fiction reading. I especially remember, Star Gate (1958). Parallel worlds and alternative quantum realities, accessed through a 'star Gate' portal. Great stuff! :)

Comment

I think I'll take AndroMan's advice and read Star Gate as my next novel...
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I haven't read a lot of her stuff, but I have liked what I have read.

Been holding off getting the 'Witch World' series because there's like a bazillion books in it, but I think I'll see about getting them now.
        Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Andre (Alice) Norton wrote for a long time, and she used to be considered the preeminent writer of "juvenile" sf, which is to say stories intended for kids, often with young protagonists. I've read a few of the books, but not many -- I didn't encounter her work until I was a late adolescent, and not much interested in "books for kids." That's a shame, of course, because she was a capable teller of colorful tales.

Many writers (e.g., Harlan Ellison) have written or spoken of her kindness to young writers. She'll be missed on that score as well.

The lady was 93, by the way. I didn't realise she'd been around that long. There aren't many writers left from the '40s and even early '50s these days. Frederick Pohl is one of the last. (He's 86.)

LSN

Comment

I went on a Time Traders spree, reading the series from it's '60s roots to her very recent collaborations just a short while ago. I highly reccomend them. She may have written primarily for young adults, but she never talked down to her readers. There are some interesting parallels between her alternate earths and Michael's multiverse. She was amazing, writing and publishing up to the very end. I hope he keeps it up for at least another 28 years as well!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/book....ap/index.html
            My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

I remember getting her books from the library as a kid - 'Catseye' comes to mind - it must have about been the first sf I ever read. It seems that she was very generous to other writers. A sad loss, no doubt, but you can't really complain about 93 and active to the end. (Well, actually I'm very upset about mortality in general - the time is just too short - but what can you do?)
              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Working...
              X