Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Death of Playwright Arthur Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    Originally posted by LEtranger
    Hey, we can happy that Miller spent 89 years among us, can't we?

Great what happened on Broadway: the Theatres there went dark in tribute to Arthur Miller!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4259409.stm
    I heard Warren Mitchell talking about Miller on the BBC. Rather touching. A real actor's playwright. Mitchell played Miller's broken, Everyman character, Willy Loman in a very successful UK run of Death of a Salesman.

He was a very influential playwright and, perhaps more importantly, his heart was in the right place.

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Hey, we can happy that Miller spent 89 years among us, can't we?

Great what happened on Broadway: the Theatres there went dark in tribute to Arthur Miller!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4259409.stm

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    I saw the film version of The Crucible and thought it was very good, but I've no idea how students of his work view it. That's about all I've seen of his work... unless you count the Buffy dream-version of [i]Salesman[/i, but I doubt anyone does (there isn't really a cowboy in it, is there?) I'm sure LSN will shake his head sadly once again at my lack of education. ;)

At first I was a little annoyed by every news report's mention of his marriage to Monroe, considering how much there was to say about his other achievements, but it's often the case that women will be identified in relation to their husbands/ex-husbands, so I suppose it's fair enough. Some reports suggested that he had tried to help her "keep it together", and stated rather ominously that it was only a year after their divorce that she died. I don't know enough about their situation to comment.

Hopefully they'll be some tribute programmes around so an ignoramus like myself can get up to speed.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    I tried to explain Miller's enormous significance to my partner, "He was married to Marilyn Monroe, you know!"

"So?" She replied.

"He was married to Marilyn Monroe. It doesn't even matter if it was true, what they said, 'men would go to bed with Marilyn, but wake up with Norma Jean.' He was still married to her!"

"So? What's the big deal about that, she was just a person."

"Yes, but she was Marilyn Monroe and he was married to her and he also wrote some pretty good plays. He lived to be 89. He seems to have had a pretty good life and he was once married to Marilyn Monroe. "

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Very sad news.

Leave a comment:

• M-A_19
    started a topic Death of Playwright Arthur Miller

Death of Playwright Arthur Miller

Sad news to hear, a very important writer what with the Crucible etc..

The BBC had Harold Pinter talking about him, he sounded pretty cut up about Miller's death

Miller was another one of McCarthys victims, he was dragged before the "unamerican activities" committee and was held in contempt for witholding the names of friends who might have been commies

his orbitury on the beeb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...rts/233032.stm
Working...
X