Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sir Christopher Lee 1922-2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Christopher Lee 1922-2015

Aw, so sad. Thanks for the many, many movie hours seeing you play Dracula, Saruman, Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Fu Man Chu and al the others!
    And for speaking excellent German, too - Danke schِn !
    RIP
    Google ergo sum

One of the greatest actors of our time. If we looked at him when he played the devil we saw the devil there, otherwise if the played an angel he was an angel by definition. Best villain ever. When he mentioned that he was into heavy metal and recorded a heavy metal album he has gave us metal heads two great things: the work itself and a very respectful support. RIP.

"From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Sir Christopher Lee 1922-2015

A very sad day. It was just published that the great Sir Christopher Lee had passed away on Sunday.

What a splendid and charismatic actor he was, and a gentleman to boot. He will be missed by so many, even by Arioch, who will await him no longer

Comment

Yes, this has been sad news for me to wake up to. Just this past "World Goth Day" (May 22) there had been a special screening of Horror of Dracula...
        Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

RIP Sir Christopher Lee - facts you might not know

For his 91st birthday present to himself, he recorded a heavy metal track with Judas Priest! Apparently it's pretty scary. Not my kind of music, but what a great chap!
          He was also probably the last person alive who fenced with Errol Flynn. They used sharpened weapons and Mr Lee according to himself "almost lost a finger". He was taught to throw knives too by Burt Lancaster's dwarf circus pal Nick.
          Back in the late 60s/early 70s - perhaps an indication he was into MM's world view of "Cosmic Balance" rather than gods, out of machines or otherwise - he mightily impressed a very young and at the time Methodist me in an interview in Radio Times that it's no coincidence god is one letter away from good in English and devil from evil. They're just symbolic in other words.
          I'll always remember him as Lord Summerisle especially.

Comment

PS

Tanith Lee and Sir Christopher gone in a week? As Charles Fort would have put it, is someone (or something!) collecting Lees?

Comment

As I mentioned in another thread on this site a few weeks ago, Mr Lee is about the closest thing I have to a "hero" figure. A polymath, polyglot, ploy this that and the other: a true gentleman and scholar; a true loss.

Comment

He had a good innings, all said and done. He'll be missed.

Comment

A very readable little biography.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/entertainm.../biography/18#

Also a keen golfer who played from scratch for a handicap for a good long while, too.

Comment

what a great actor and a nazi hunter to boot. he will be missed by many

Comment

No words.

Do it today!!! It may be illegal tomorrow!!!

Comment

This is one production I would have loved to have seen in London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby_Di...80%94Rehearsed
                        Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

I was very sad indeed to hear about the passing of Christopher Lee.
                          He was truly a wonderful actor and I really enjoyed every thing he did.
                          One of the first movies I ever saw, which I still remember now, was Chris playing Dracula and he fell backwards on to a cross and was destroyed.
                          I think Mike once said to Chris that Arioch awaits thee as a role.

RIP Christopher Lee
                          Last edited by Michelangelo Moorcockos; 06-13-2015, 08:48 PM.
                          If I don't see you, I hope you have a good afternoon, a good evening, and a good night!
                          ITCFEP - Infinite Tolerance, Complete Forgiveness, Eternal Peace.

Comment

I just found out about this sad news today. I grew up watching Christopher Lee's films and continue to do so. Over the past weekend I had a Hammer horror binge and watched three of his films. Needless to say, I will be doing a marathon re-screening of many of his films during this week in his honor. He was my all time favorite Dracula and the last of the horror film greats and will be deeply missed. I'd like to think he and Peter Cushing are having a few laughs together again on the other side...RIP Christopher.
                            "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
                            'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

I'm kind of surprised no one's mentioned he apparently once told Mike he'd love to play Arioch.

Here's a list of '22 Incredible Facts' about the man:

http://io9.com/22-incredible-facts-a...-ch-1710917366

And here's a photo of him and Forry Ackerman at the 1965 Worldcon.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Rob Hansen; 06-12-2015, 10:52 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X