Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Terry Pratchett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Pratchett

Author Terry Pratchett dies aged 66 after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease.
    A very sad day for many.

Originally posted by Larry Finlay
    I was deeply saddened to learn that Sir Terry Pratchett has died. The world has lost one of its brightest, sharpest minds.

In over 70 books, Terry enriched the planet like few before him. As all who read him know, Discworld was his vehicle to satirise this world: he did so brilliantly, with great skill, enormous humour and constant invention.

Terry faced his Alzheimer's disease (an "embuggerance", as he called it) publicly and bravely. Over the last few years, it was his writing that sustained him. His legacy will endure for decades to come.

My sympathies go out to Terry's wife Lyn, their daughter Rhianna, to his close friend Rob Wilkins, and to all closest to him."

- Larry Finlay, MD at Transworld Publishers

Terribly sad news. I stopped reading the Discworld novels part way through Jingo though I continued to buy* them in hardback for a few years more but the first twenty or so where marvellous reads (Maskerade was probably my favourite). Of course, Good Omens (co-written with Neil Gaiman) is fantastic.

I met PTerry at least twice through book signings where the queues were not only long but also equally made up of male and female & young and old readers, which at the time (pre-Harry Potter) was considered a rare phenomenon for a fantasy author.

BBC obit
    Telegraph obit
    Guardian obit

*I say 'buy'; rather I had them bought for me as Christmas gifts.
    Last edited by David Mosley; 03-13-2015, 05:01 AM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I was sitting in a very nice little Chinese restaurant, near the Artis zoo, in Amsterdam, on Sunday, after a beery walk with an old friend of mine. Said friend was telling me of sitting in there with a lady friend of his a year or two back, when he'd noticed Terry Pratchett, his partner and the explorer chap, Redmond O'Hanlon, sitting at a nearby table, deeply involved in conversation over dinner. My friend (like myself, a Pratchett fan), was polite enough not to disturb his fellow guests. Although, even then he'd reckoned that TP was not well. When I got home, I got out my DVD copy of, Hogfather, to watch. One that can be watched or read more than once or twice.

Another very sad loss. Quite taken the wind out my sails.

Comment

Very, very sad!
        Google ergo sum

Comment

Embuggeration!

Comment

One of the few authors who made me laugh out loud on trains.

"The sort of man who would stand on the top of a mountain in a thunderstorm dressed in a copper suit of armour shouting 'All the gods are bastards!'" The quote that confirmed his genius for me.

I read The Colour of Magic in 1989 and have read every Discworld novel, year on year, since then.

I'll raise a glass to him tonight.

Comment

It is sad for us, but we can´t be selfish, he was chasing the black cloak of the reaper and trying to get its attention, so in a way, let us just take a moment of sadness and turn it in a life of memories. I will honor him reading his books my whole life and reading them to my kids, sharing them with my friends, maybe donating my collection to my favourite public library. As he was a special man, lets give him a weird good bye, laugh for him today, even if like in my case, your brain and hearth died a little.

Comment

Sad news, which I wasn't expecting to hear just yet.

Though not an avid Pratchett reader I have dipped into his work and I think the overall level of comic invention in the Discworld series is quite astonishing.

Jeremy Clockson

RIP Sir Terry...
                'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I've known Terry since he was 15. Published his second story, hoping for more which sadly never came. A wonderfully funny writer. Lang Jones and I once put him in the trunk of the car until he stopped giggling. Tremendous tribute to him on BBC Radio Four now by Neil G. We were expecting it but somehow hoped for a reprieve given he was such a good publicist for Death.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Very sad news indeed. The Discworld stories are favorites of mine...RIP Terry.
                    "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
                    'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Wonderful reminiscence Mike! I'm just picturing the scene of him in the trunk and can't help but smile. It was very sad to hear of his passing and he will be greatly missed. Terry was a very inventive and talented writer...The Discworld series are some of my favorite stories...RIP.
                      "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
                      'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

I was very sad to hear the news today. Such genius gone too soon it seems. I thought of everyone here today, too, and knew it would be a place to mark the time, raise a glass, and recall how happy I am such people here are alive and well.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
                        - Mark Twain, notebook entry, 1898.

Comment

The t-shirt he wore at conventions:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Oddest YouTube obit. about TP that you are likely to see.

Terry Pratchett Discworld Ales Bledlow's Silence IPA Craft Beer Review

Apparently, there are about 10 different 'Discworld' ales to try. Could be worth keeping a Granny Weatherwax eye out for.

And a sadder more personal obit. on the official Discworld Ale site:

http://www.discworldales.co.uk/shop/honey-ale/

Comment

It's strange isn't it? I never met Terry but for the best part of the last 24 hours I've cried as I would at the death of one of my oldest and best friends. I'll miss his humour and wit, but most of all his humanity, terribly. Look after him Death.

Comment

Working...
                              X