Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mick Farren R.I.P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mick Farren R.I.P

I've heard Mick died last night, at a gig. Heart attack.
    Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Grim news indeed DF!
    A great performer,writer and mind who was quite the influence on me in my 20s.
    Two of the first books i ever read was The song of Phaid the Gambler and Protectorate and The Deviants were a kickin live band.
    He couldn't have checked out any other way!

RIP Sir.
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

RIP. Went out doing what he wanted to be doing.

Comment

Bugger - I always thought there might have been a fifth DNA Cowboys novel....
        Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepFixer View Post
          I've heard Mick died last night, at a gig. Heart attack.
          Here's are a few more details:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/mick-farren-dies/

Comment

MF was on stage with his friends in the Deviants, sitting down due to ongoing health problems and looking unwell (apparently the last couple of times he'd played he had to resort to oxygen masks backstage), he just collapsed 2 songs or so into the set.

The venue was cleared and a paramedic bike and 2 ambulances attended for some time. The remainder of the gig was, naturally, cancelled and the news that filtered down to us was that he'd survived the initial arrest but was in a serious condition in hospital.

News broke the next morning that he had died in hospital.

Special mention must go to the staff and paramedics who attended him and fought so hard to save his life.

RIP to a legend.
            What part of 'Get out of town, Freak' don't you understand?

Comment

Sad, sad, sad. RIP Mick.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Give the anarchist a cigarette

Yeah, sad news indeed. Always loved his THEM and US writing. Heard he fell off his chair after the third song Sat Night at the gig he was playing in London. Dropped by Powell books and bought 2 non fiction books he wrote "Who's Watching You?" and "The CIA Files". be interesting to read what he dug up on what the US government has been doing that Mr. Joe Average American doesn't Know. Also spotted in the collectors case a signed Moorcock book. Two other Moorcock novels. and a book by Raymond Chandler. Hey, Mike give the other writers a chance to be collectable. Type with one hand behind your back. Or blindfolded. Or hold a mirror up and look at the type writer behind your back like all the wild west sharpshooters do!

The Action man

Comment

RIP, Mr. Farren.
                  Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Damn that's sad, I regularly read his blog, loved the way he kept that counter culture flame alive with random coherence.

Screwed Up

http://final-frame-final.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had the privilege to know Mick for the last three years of his life and he was in my experience a lovely guy; generous, funny, very smart and still righteously angry at the state of the world, though his personal misfortunes he seemed to take with a wry sense of humour. I wasn't at that final show- thankfully- but I saw the Deviants at the Borderline last year, and in Brighton earlier this year, where they played a brilliant set that would stand as a fine last testament, ending with 'Let's Loot the Supermarket- while we've got the chance', which now takes on a poignant seize the day significance.

I also had the honour of putting Mick on at several poetry nights and sharing stages with him, and he was never less than brilliant. Me and my girlfriend considered him a good friend. Back in March I interviewed him at length for the Quietus website- I won't link here, I don't want to seem exploitative, but it's there if you want to seek it out. He'd been in ill health for some time and we all knew he wouldn't be with us for that long, but it was still a terrible sad shock to hear that he'd gone so suddenly. I still can't quite believe it. So long, bro.

Comment

I've known Mick since the 60s when our lives crossed regularly and we became friends. I came to have considerable respect for him and we stayed in touch until he moved back to the UK.
                        I'm shocked by the news. All we can do is remember his ideals and continue working to produce the world he passionately desired to create.
                        A very sad day.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Albion Moonlight View Post
                          Back in March I interviewed him at length for the Quietus website- I won't link here, I don't want to seem exploitative, but it's there if you want to seek it out.
                          The Quietus interview is excellent.
                          http://final-frame-final.blogspot.com/

Comment

There's just been a feature on Mick Farren on Rob Elms' BBC Radio London show.

You can hear a full version of the show for a week here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbclondon/latest-programmes

And possibly on a podcast here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/london

Mike and JG Ballard get a namecheck.

Also, there's a snippet of a story that Farren was driving around Parliament Square with the drummer from Hawkwind when said drummer suggested he would vote for Thatcher at the next election! I wonder who that was.

Sorry but I suspect this won't be available for anyone outside the UK.

Comment

According to the BBC radio is freely available most places around the World. For TV, you might try filmon.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X