Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Jon Finch (1942-2012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Finch (1942-2012)

Local rumour has it it that Jon Finch, who was living in our neighborhood for several years, passed away over Christmas. This is largely unconfirmed so far but seems to be the general consensus.

I thought that many here - especially Mike who, I believe knew the man, and those who admired his portrayal of Jerry Cornelius, if not the movie itself - would wish to know.

Apologies if this turns out to be wrong (although I doubt that will happen) and condolences to those who knew him. A fine actor.

If it turns out to be true, then this is very sad indeed. I love his performance in Frenzy and in The Final Prog. Strangely, I was just thinking the other day what a woefully underused actor he was.
    forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

It may be local rumour - which doesn't preclude it from being true - but there doesn't appear to be anything official, like a news agency report or newspaper obituary, on the Internet to confirm or corroborate those rumours so I think we should tread very carefully before leaping to any conclusions.

(With no disrespect to Corbie, I think unless one has personal knowledge of a recent death (I mean, like a family member) we should only start obit threads based on a substantiated news report which should be linked to so everyone can see what the source is.)

I'm not going to lock this thread but I am going to request that no-one else posts here until we have an official confirmation. Thanks.
      The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Sadly, it is just as I said. JF died on the 28th of December. We lived at opposite ends of the same street but I never did approach him, recognising his essentially private nature (and also being extremely bad at the whole "fan" thing). Still, I did admire his work and, as I said before, he take on JC was, I think, a bright point in a flawed film. Condolences to all concerned. Tributes etc can be left here.....
        http://arthurctowner.tributes.to/jon-nicholas-finch/

Comment

Yes, Jon's death now sadly confirmed. Funeral is (was) today apparently. Thread titled modified accordingly.

RIP Jerry.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Still very little news elsewhere. I'd have thought that one of the quality papers would think to mention it.

Anyway, very sad.
            forum

Comment

Sad news, indeed.

Comment

I have created a Twitter and Facebook announcement. Condolences to those who knew him.
                Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

It the late '70s while reading the Cornelius Chronicles late one night in bed, my wee B&W teevee blithering on in the background, when the late night movie came on: The Final Programme. My jaw dropped. I had no idea such a thing existed. For good or ill, when I hear the name Jerry C. I always picture Jon Finch from the flic.

RIP, Mr. Finch.
                  Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                    It the late '70s while reading the Cornelius Chronicles late one night in bed, my wee B&W teevee blithering on in the background, when the late night movie came on: The Final Programme. My jaw dropped.
                    I love it when things like that happen!
                    forum

Comment

Very sad news. RIP Jon.
                      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                        ...when I hear the name Jerry C. I always picture Jon Finch from the flic.
                        His is the face that comes to mind for me, too. RIP Jon.
                        You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I'm sure that most folks around this place have a soft spot in their hearts for Jon Finch. Talented and genuinely very cool.... Actually, can I take back that first bit?

Comment

Jon Finch (1941-2012)

Guardian obituary

That Finch never achieved the level of stardom that was anticipated may be attributed to his dislike of the kind of media publicity that goes with it and his self-proclaimed lack of ambition. "I never wanted to be a big star," Finch once said. "I usually do one film a year, so I always have enough money to enjoy myself and keep myself out of the public eye. It's a very pleasant life, not one of great ambition." Actually, leaving aside the great expectations, Finch's career was a reasonably successful one by normal standards.
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I WAS VERY FOND OF JON AND WAS SORRY WE LOST TOUCH. IN SOME WAYS IT WAS FOR SIMILAR REASONS -- NOT LIKING THE SPOTLIGHT BEING ONE. I WISH I'D KNOWN YOU KNEW WHERE HE LIVED, CORBIE. I'D HAVE ASKED YOU TO GIVE HIM MY EMAIL! HE WAS GENUINELY MODEST. I'D KNOWN HIM SINCE I WAS A YOUNG MAN WHEN WE USED TO BELONG TO THE SAME POKER SCHOOL. HE WAS IN THE SAS AT THAT TIME BUT ALSO WORKED AT GUILDFORD REP. SWEET GUY. BY THE SOUND OF IT HE DIDN'T STOP DRINKING AND AS A DIABETIC THAT CAN BE LETHAL.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                              X