Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

R.I.P. John Peel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can listen to a 2-hour selection of "Peel Sessions" on BBC radio.
    Click on "listen to radio 1"

Comment

I thought it was interesting, reading John Peel's bio, that he had done a radio stint in Texas at one time. I instantly thought of Mike M., and wondered if Peel was a part of the Portobello Road scene when Mike was.

Comment

Here is a link to some quotes of the great man.

http://ilx.p3r.net/thread.php?msgid=5178027

Some serious gold to be found among them.
        Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

Listening to Radio 1 this morning, I heard tributes from Ozzy Osbourne and Jarvis Cocker, both saying that they simply wouldn't be where they are today without Peel... but there are too many bands to list. Apparently the New Band Stage at Glastonbury will now be renamed in his honour, which is a nice tribute I think.
          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

The papers were full of tributes today. The Daily HateMail proclaimed Home Truths as "conservative" - but I remember several items involving issues like asylum seekers taking a very non-DM line! Peel was always a bit of a radical. Apparently he had just finished his autobiography, which will published posthumously.
            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Is he the guy who did the Peel Sessions cds?

I have the Napalm Death Peel Sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeriko
                Is he the guy who did the Peel Sessions cds?

I have the Napalm Death Peel Sessions.
                That's the chap! "Sessions" with all manner of bands (both obscure and better known) were recorded for his nightly radio show, and some bands have released recording of their sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by Pellaz
                  I thought it was interesting, reading John Peel's bio, that he had done a radio stint in Texas at one time. I instantly thought of Mike M., and wondered if Peel was a part of the Portobello Road scene when Mike was.
                  Apparently he met JFK just before he was assasinated. The president heard his English accent said, "get some pictures" which John did then the great man went to his death, so the story goes.
                  Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

I was deeply saddened when I heard the news. His show was a godsend! The music I would never have heard, but for him. The influence he had, for the length of time he did, and the respect he commanded could never be matched by anyone. Vapid pop has been in the ascendancy for a while, now I really fear for decent music.
                    I agree 'kid' - its up to Mark Radcliffe to carry the torch.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Just to add my tuppence-worth, it's deeply sad that Peely's gone from us, and although I always knew he was a fair age, he never seemed anything like 65, which makes it all the more of a shock. There was a piece about him on Radio Scotland this week, with comment from Pat Nevin (ex-pro footballer, music enthusiast and friend), Bruce (of Bruce's Records and ex-manager of Simple Minds), and the guitarist from Mogwai. The impressive thing was just how much they seemed to genuinely love the man, not just for his influence on the music scene, but because he was a genuinely friendly and generous person. You can't ask for more, can you? As I listen to Football Focus on the tv just now, there has just come on yet another tribute! So many friends, so many places.

Cheers, John! (and look after yourself, Mike!)
                      \"Killing me won\'t bring back your apples!\"

Comment

Inferno

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                        Is that something you recorded from the radio, or is it something that was available in shops?
                        It was released on CD in 1993, maybe be tricky to find now. Cat. no. EGO 203. One of my favourites in the EGO series (Rough Trade).

Title: Radio Inferno (Hoerspiel nach Dantes Inferno)
                        Artists: Andreas Ammer/FM Einheit

The great John Peel features heavily in the radio play as a DJ who tells the story of Vergil and Dante's desent into hell.

Good luck in tracking it down.

Comment

An eclectic genius. Cabaret Voltaire jostled Steeleye Span. Then the doleful mantra of 'Fish-heads, fish-heads; roly-poly fish heads; fish-heads, fish heads; eat them up - Yum!'. An irreplaceable figure who mixed the soundtrack of my adolescence. A true Chaos Champion! And from all reports, a top chap too! We have lost a national resource.

Perdix

Comment

Re: Inferno

Originally posted by MoorEinheit
                            Good luck in tracking it down.
                            Thanks for the details.... I've actually managed to find it at Tower Records, although it's on their "special order" list, so they might not actually be able to acquire it. Still, it's good to know there are copies floating around!

http://uk.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1216782

From listening to the sound clips, I'm pretty sure that would give me nightmares. I can't speak a word of German, and somehow that makes the German readings far more sinister. It's strange to hear Peel's quite reassuring voice mixed in with the scariness.!

Comment

In certain ways my career and that of JP were parallel and we were also sometimes mistaken for each other. We were pretty much exactly the same age so it was shocking for me, too, since I don't think of 65 as being all that old. I listened to him pretty much every week on one programme or another. He'll be much missed.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                              X