Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Neil Armstrong 1930-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A giant leap for mankind made by his step. A landmark in history and my first drawings years before and up to this moment were mostly space ships and alien worlds. i was fascinated. When the moment came however strange it seems I was outside playing ball and just thought well we will make it all along no problem, no sweat. In retrospect I was just so confident we'd get it done I was ready to just see the replay instead of waiting glued to the tv like you would think. A world hero like the Russian who is "the man who saved the world" who decided to double check bad info America were bombing them. The Whole team were my heroes. And it must have been hard to be the one who stayed on ship. R.I.P. Spaceman.
    "? ",qouz"! ' c. mackay from extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of the crowds.

Comment

That was Michael Collins who stayed. He was the most essential member though.

Comment

I'm too young to remember the actual moon-landing although my parents told me I did see it with them (but given the time it was broadcast and being less than 1 year old at the time I now have my doubts as to the verisimilitude of that statement). Armstrong was thus as much an 'historical' figure to me as Yuri Gagarin, seeing as how by the time I (most likely) became aware of him the Apollo moon missions had been cancelled. That might be why, for me, Armstrong's individual achievement (he was the first man on the moon because his seat was closer to the exit hatch!) isn't (quite) as significant as the overall accomplishment of putting humans on another celestial body in the first place. If it hadn't been Armstrong, it would have been someone else. That said, the fact that he chose not to 'milk' his fame afterwards says something important about the man himself, which in this 'fame-hungry' era more people might do well to emulate.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
        X