Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Robert Fuest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Fuest

I'm not posting this in the obituaries section because I haven't seen any general confirmation, but Tim Lucas (editor and publisher of Video Watchdog magazine) has reported the passing of Robert Fuest, director of the film version of The Final Programme...
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

It seems to be true Marca; several mentions about the www, but no significant obit as far as I can find, which is a real shame. 84 sounds a good innings though.
    http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/538...e-robert-fuest

Comment

I'm going to watch The Final Programme today. It made a huge impact on me at an impressionable age thanks to a late night screening on BBC1 in the 80's.
      Certain key images continued to haunt my thoughts over those adolescent years leading me to pick up a copy of The English Asssisan at a second hand stall in the shopping town of Ballymena.

Mr Fuest's film led me to the wider multiverse and it will always be a strange favourite of mine.

Goodnight, Mr Fuest.
      I used to reach for the stars but now I'm reformed.

Comment

The Final Programme might have been a missed opportunity in many ways (as often happens with films) but there's no doubt it got a lot of people interested in Mike's work, as Mark testifies.

Fuest had a unique style, as evident in the Dr. Phibes films and his work on The Avengers, among others. His adaptation of Wuthering Heights and the thriller And Soon The Darkness are also highly rated.
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I caught the flic in the wee hours on CTV in the late 70's, shortly after I'd started reading Mike's stuff. I promptly bought the Cornelius Chronicles within a week of the viewing.

RIP, Mr. Feust.
          Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Where would the deep purple, Paisley pattern, flock wallpaper industry have been without him?

I as an aging student, I once ran, The Final Programme and Performance, as a student film club double bill. The Final Programme was much more popular than Performance, I must say.

For me, Jerry C. sits somewhere between those two movies.

Robert Fuest certainly gave us some interesting and fun, art nouveau, camp-gothic, moments. We shall not see his like again.

Sadly missed.

Comment

Working...
            X