Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Jean Giraud, a.k.a. Moebius, dies at 73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jean Giraud, a.k.a. Moebius, dies at 73

BBC Obituary.

It's rather short: hopefully the BBC will flesh it out later in the day.

Very sad. Grew up with this guy's stuff. In fact, started getting into him about the same time I started reading Mike. RIP, Monsieur Giraud.
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Oh that's very sad. I didn't know he was ill. One of the true giants of comic art whose influence was enormous. I was fortunate to meet Moebius (as I think of him) at one of the London UKCAC's in the early '90s where he signed my copies of his Silver Surfer comic and iirc did me a little SS sketch. Later on stage he demonstrated - after much persuasion - a little of his Tai Chi exercises. Of course, here at Moorcock's Miscellany we also owe him a debt for Le Garage Hermetic as well. RIP Jean Giraud.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

What terrible news. The world has lost an incredible talent. R.I.P. Mr. Giraud.

Comment

RIP Moebius, comics legend and Mأ©tal Hurlant co-founder

RIP Moebius, comics legend and Mأ©tal Hurlant co-founder

... although never litigated, arose when Moebius loosely appropriated Jerry Corneliusâ??a chameleon-like character created by British author Michael Moorcock, ...

More...

Comment

The man was a genius, as far as I am concerned - and that isn't a world I use lightly. There are very few of them in the world.

His style was instantly recognisable, and the worlds that he drew were utterly unique.

A massive loss to the field of art, comic or otherwise.

RIP.

Comment

A genius, indeed. An inspiration. Very sad about this.
              Mark
              I used to reach for the stars but now I'm reformed.

Comment

Mauvaise nouvelle

I am too sad.
                Jean Giraud has died and Sarkozy is fine.
                Too bad.
                Papi

Comment

I think that Giraud's, Blueberry, was one of the finest depictions of the American West, that I've ever seen. He was an exceptional talent. One of the European comic strip artists, like Hergé, who left a lasting and defining, mark on the medium capturing imaginations on the other side of the Atlantic and expanding the possibilities of the medium.

Probably one of the really great SF artists, too. I sometimes found the SF stuff a bit cool and distant, but always of an exceptional graphic quality. Comics for Grown ups.

Comment

A real imagination, he brought so many things to life. His own unique work as Moebius was visonary.

From io9
                    Last edited by opaloka; 03-10-2012, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KevJo View Post
                      The man was a genius, as far as I am concerned - and that isn't a world I use lightly. There are very few of them in the world.

His style was instantly recognisable, and the worlds that he drew were utterly unique.

A massive loss to the field of art, comic or otherwise.

RIP.
                      We are 100% in agreement. Well said.
                      “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

Some brilliant work on American (and one Canadian) superheroes, by the master.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/0...s-art-gallery/
                        Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Moebius rest in peace.

The single greatest comic artist that ever lived, in fact, calling him a comic artist is like calling Gustav Dore an illustrator, an understatement.

The world is a less beautiful and interesting place without him.

Comment

Death of a dreamer | maltatoday.com

Moebius...represented Giraud the visionary - an explorer of fantasy and science fiction that was however never shackled by the standard, restrictive tropes usually associated with either of the genres.

It was during this phase that Moebius began to grow into something of an icon, not least because - with the help of a number of collaborators operating under the banner of 'Les Humaoides Associès' - he established the comic book anthology magazine Metal Hurlant.

Still in print internationally - it's known as Heavy Metal in English markets - the magazine was a platform for a number of notable Moebius works, chief of which were The Airtight Garage (a surreal bit of hard-edged science fiction loosely inspired by the works of Michael Moorcock) and The Long Tomorrow, which is often cited as a pioneering 'cyberpunk' work - influencing the look of films such as Ridley Scott's Blade Runner.
                            More...
                            Last edited by David Mosley; 03-17-2012, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Lots of tributes can be found at The Comics Journal.

Comment

Working...
                              X