Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

War Amongst the Angels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCraigRobinson
    replied
    Sounds explosive. I’m reminded of a discussion you and I had once a year or two back on the older site in reference to the Grail being it’s own opposite by organically causing harmony yet spawning so much disharmony in others, especially in the likes of Klosterheim.

I have also been wondering if in any of your works you examine the similarities and differences between the mukhamirim and the dreamthieves?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    You'll find, I hope, the final volume in the current series interesting.
    In The White Wolf's Son there is further explanation about Law and Chaos and shifting loyalties from one to the other. And here Lucifer and
    God are reconciled, which makes those who desire power through
    constant war pretty upset...

Leave a comment:

• RCraigRobinson
    replied
    Just curious about a little small something here: In WATA, Lucifer and his minions (Arioch among them) serve law while in Elric and Corum, etc, arioch is a duke of chaos. It's not so much that I question any kind of continuity because it's the questionable continuity that I've so enjoyed in thise series (I finally received Blood and FH) as much as it is that it occured to me what a completely compelling mess it would make if the Lords of Law and Chaos reshuffled allegiances for opposing reason. Much like Miggea aligned with Gaynor at one point.
    Anyway, just a little late night spit-balling I'm bound to be notorious for.

Leave a comment:

• RCraigRobinson
    replied
    This is complete projection on my behalf, but I'm beginning to feel like the Lucifer attempting to reconcile with God arc going on in the VB and SE series may have some applicability to trying to salvage a bad marriage.

Perhaps this has something to do with me trying to salvage a bad marriage. Again, projection. Just wanted to share an insight.

I also make the same connection with LOTR. If you notice, all of the Elven rings, Wraith rings and Dwarf rings are ornate, decorative peices while the One Ring is a simple wedding band. Interesting commentary on marriage.

I need therapy.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I hardly notice the hype on dust jackets -- mine or anyone else's!
    You kind of get blind to that sort of thing. At least, if you've any sense.
    Listen to the hyperbole and you'd go nuts. So I let publicists do pretty much whatever they want to do and if anyone asks me a question based on the hype, I'll tell them what I really think or who I really think I am!
    The CD-Rom game was Silverheart. Unfortunately EA axed it when they took over Origin. They thought it was too expensive.
    So all we were left with was the book, which Sorm and I wrote.

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied
    I have the UK 1st Ed. of WATA. On the front cover, right below the title, you are described as, "The Greatest Of The Post-Tolkien Fantasists." Although intended as a compliment, I picture you shuddering at this statement. Was this added with your permission?

Also, on the back of the dustjacket it mentions that you were: 'at present working on a CD-ROM set in the fictional world of the multiverse.' What is this in reference to? Was it completed and, if so, is it available?

Thanks a bunch!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Nice model. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• RCraigRobinson
    replied
    I've just about got this one read through. I ordered Blood and FH on Amazon yesterday. Can't wait to devour more of this storyline.

Knitters make, so says my mother, a border to help guide the form and shape of the project being knitted. I don't know what it is called in knitting terms, but nomenclature doesn't not qualify function.

To me, WATA is that thing. That which guides and forms the shape of the project. It's a legend to a tricky map.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Should mention that the DC Multiverse graphic novel also ties in very strongly with the WATA stories and there's also a more rational expanation of the multiverse! The Rose turns up in that, too, in more than one story line.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Yep. The Rose is The Rose is The Rose...
    :)

Leave a comment:

• RCraigRobinson
    replied
    Thanks kindly for the info. But the book just sat there and stared and stared at me, almost accusing me. So I picked it up and started reading. I'm already halfway through. I'll have to pick up Blood and FH later on and get the other 2/3s of the story. As a credit to M, I find that WATA stands sufficiently on it's own merit yet also intrigues me to get the others.
    Also, is this the same Rose as the Revenge of the Rose?

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    I would suggest that you at least read Blood first. I've read them twice; once spaced over a couple of months, and once when I read all three in the space of a week. I found a certain kind of rhythm to them when I read them all at once that I didn't find in reading them over time. Fabulous Harbors breaks up the intensity of the other two larger stories in an interesting way. The interrelated short stories made my mind work differently, which helped make War Amongst the Angels a little more powerful for me.

My biggest suggestion is simply to read them, any way that you choose. They're probably my favorite, and richly rewarding.

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied
    Hello:

'Blood' and 'Fabulous Harbours' do precede 'The War Amongst The Angels.'

However, I don't believe it's necessary to read them sequentially. Each book can stand on its own IMO. 'Blood' would be good to read first, just to get the background story on the main characters and to get a feel for the second ether.

'Blood' introduces you to the "mukhamirim," the "game of time," and the "second ether."

'Fabulous Harbours' is a collection of short stories relating to the characters from the first book; and then some.

'The War Amongst The Angels' is interesting because it is somewhat autobiographical. Moorcock's history is mingled with the main character's(Rose) story. I'm reading this now, myself...

Enjoy! :D

Leave a comment:

• RCraigRobinson
    started a topic War Amongst the Angels

War Amongst the Angels

It's sad that I have to order from Canada to get the best books for my collecetion. All of my Solomon Kane books were ordered from the Great White North. But, happy day, I just now, as in 2 minutes ago, received my copy of War Amongst the Angels in the mail.
    I ordered Behold the Man at the same time but that has yet to arrive. Oh well, one at a time I suppose. I just wanted to share my elation with the goup.
    God bless those eclectic Canucks!

Oh, and can anyone tell me: do Blood and Fabulous Harbors precede War Amonst the Angels? And if so, should I procure those two first before reading this one?
Working...
X