Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A weitz brother is going to do His Dark Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A weitz brother is going to do His Dark Materials

I saw on teletextt that there are talks to make the philip pullman series His Dark Materialss and that ********** Weitz of the Weitz brothers brother of Peter Weitz is set to produce it. This wouldnt happen to be the Weitz brothers who are going to make the elric film would it? Im not sure the maker of american pie(gross out nasty) and about a boy (ugh not my kind of film) are right for either elric or MM stuff or philip pullman. The stars are cos i forgot his name. Hes confirmed they are in talks. Does that mean that the elric films will be made later then? or before? I hope they dont make either revoltingly sentimental or gross out. Or have hugh grant in any , that man is revolting sick patheticc crap.

I've already reassured readers that Chris Weitz and his brother Paul are people I trust to do the Elric movie. Chris doesn't start work on The Golden Compass for a while yet. Meanwhile he's produced a killer treatment which in no way sentimentalises or otherwise weakens the Elric story but if anything strengthens it. We're completely on the same page here. Sorry if you didn't like their other movies. I did. I didn't think much of Peter Jackson's pre-LOTR movies, however, and as I said to a friend, by the same logic you'd say that when I was writing comics such as Dogfight Dixon RFC I was also writing the first Elric stories...
    Don't prejudge the person. It can work just as easily the other way round. Who'd have thought the director of Das Boot could have done such a bland piece of mediocrity as Troy...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

As I posted before,
      a good writer should be able to write in
      any "genre" as long as he/she understands
      the material, does the appropriate research,
      and believes in what he/she is doing.

I don't care much for the American Pie movies either.
      Just not my kind of thing. However,
      A good comparison I have for the Elric movie is
      William Peter Blatty. I read that he was a comedy
      writer. Blatty is the writer for what I consider one
      of the best horror stories ever, The Exorcist.
      It is possible to create something like American Pie
      and then do something like The Elric Saga.
      \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
      Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Great example! :D
        \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"

Comment

I'm sure they don't need me to defend them, but I thought I may as well put a good word in for the American Pie films. Growing up my sisters used to bring home a number of truly terrible "gross out" comedies from the rental store. I've seen more Revenge of the Nerds films than I'll ever admit to in public, so when the first AP film came along I dismissed it out of hand, assuming it would be the same bucket of swill.

When forced to watch it at a party months later, I could appreciate it as a vastly superior entry in a rather poor and tasteless genre. Not only did the film have strong female characters, with individual identities and the ability to retain their tops for more than two scenes at a time, but there were also some genuinely touching relationships woven into the plot.

The films aren't perfect, of course, but I admire the way the series progressed as the characters grew older and their priorities changed. By the standards of the genre from which they emerged, the AP films are rather impressive, and not to be dismissed lightly. Any film that champions the quest to bring a woman to orgasm rather than take selfish pleasure deserves to be applauded, in my humble opinion. :D

Oh, and they were also incredibly funny.

D...

"Oh, and this one time, on the forum..."
          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Everbody seems to always be pointing towards the Weitz brothers earlier movies.. I had some doubts myself earlier on, but i've seen Mike reiterate
            his trust to them. So i'll trust mike on it. So i think we'll drop the subject ok?

I've been thinking that maybe they really want to turn to other genre's of fiction/movies. Because of their interest and that mayhaps the time is right
            for it at the box office, and they saw their window of opportunity.
            (Who could really blame them for that?)
            And that could make them really spiked for doing it and making it turn out right, and being fans themselves doesn't hurt either!

And as Mike said previously on Jackson's earlier material, i think he's right on that. When i was a teenager i thought Bad Taste, Braindead were funny at the time... I have hardly laughed at any of it recently.
            If i want gore-humour i'll put on Cannibal Corpse's 'Eaten Back To Life' album instead.

I saw American Pie 3 not too long ago, and some parts were really annoying like the guys dad et al... But i laughed my ass off at the pubic hair getting on the wedding cake. Seing that guy caughing at getting pubic hair in his throat really made me laugh i can tell you..

P.S. BTW? Why has there been this titling in certain American movies to insert 'American' into the titles? I don't get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerico
              As I posted before,
              a good writer should be able to write in
              any "genre" as long as he/she understands
              the material, does the appropriate research,
              and believes in what he/she is doing.
              Just out of curiosity, is anyone familiar with Joe Lansdale? He's won awards for horror, westerns, and thrillers. Not that awards mean everything, but I think it helps Jerico make his point.

Maybe more importantly, and more impressively, some truly talented writers simply transcend genre or genres, like our friend MM.

Comment

The movie Bubba Ho-Tep was released onto dvd recently.
                It was written by Lansdale, directed by the Phantasm creator, and stars the lead character from the Evil Dead flicks, Bruce Campbell.
                It's "different."

http://www.joerlansdale.com/todaysfeature.html

Comment

I picked up a copy of Lansdale's By Bizarre Hands when I was about 14, and I've loved his work ever since. Most of it scares the living crap out of me, but there's usually a bit of grim humour or surrealism to calm the jitters now and again. Great stuff. I'd love to see his Mojo books adapted for the screen, if only to see those fantastic titles on a movie poster!

Thanks for the link Jerico! Great site.

D...
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                    I've already reassured readers that Chris Weitz and his brother Paul are people I trust to do the Elric movie. Chris doesn't start work on The Golden Compass for a while yet.

Would they have any spare time to do anything else for teh next 5 years given that Elric will be a film trilogy? Or are they waiting for the final studio go ahead before they drop the other projects to focus 120% on Elric?

Comment

I understand what you are saying Yolanda. I will admit I am not impressed with American Pie or the Matrix movies. The Elric movie might turn out alright since the Weitz brothers are fans of the books. For example The Lord of the Rings movies would not turned out as good had the director not been a fan of the books. Of course the movies would probably been even better if Tolkien was alive and able to participate in the making of the movies. (We would have been spared dwarf tossing jokes and Legolas using a shield as a skateboard ). I don't know that much about about the Elric books. However, I would cringe if Elric had a sword while the other characters had guns or if Elric lives in outerspace.

Comment

I'm always a little taken aback when people scoff about the Weitz brothers nomination to do the Elric movies. My brother, a decade my senior, introduced me to the Elric series in the mid 80s. He devoured them. I devoured them. He had the same reaction as many of the people here: Why them? As if that it is committing some sort of cinema faux pas.
                        I enjoyed their work on projects such as the Pie movies and About a Boy, Antz, Nutty Professor, etc because of their keen ability to capture the outward and subtextual relationships between their characters. Their storytelling style and character is much more organic. One does not feel like one is being force-fed narrative and character exposition. Of course, this has much to do with the acting and the ability to coax a scene out of the actors. I am quite glad that the powers that be for this film went with a those with a penchant for character dynamics rather than going for an unfeeling slash of action. It’s so easy for film-makers to force a scene on you instead of gently guiding you there along with the characters. I am happy to see someone taking fantasy on from this angle.
                        The life of this film is and should not be based solely upon how the dragons might look or who will play what part or what stormbringer will look like, etc etc. It is in the ability of several story tellers, the script writers, sound editors, directors of photography, and all the little details to pull together and weave an evocative, proactive tale that we connects; relates. I’m in the minority of people here who enjoyed Troy. But I enjoyed because I knew that at it’s heart, it would be soulless and derivative. My expectations for Elric are much higher.
                        And as for their disposition to do comedy work: well, a little secret for you; comedy is just tragedy in disguise.

But, as always, what do I know?
                        I’m merely spit-balling
                        -rcr

Comment

I've always claimed that comedy and fantasy are very similar (and hope I've even demonstrated that point now and again). Both depend upon a certain kind of exaggeration. The fact that Chris Weitz was also chosen to do The Golden Compass must mean something! What's more, people don't seem to realise this, we talk. If I didn't like their ideas, I wouldn't have sold them the stories. As I repeat constantly -- I've had offers for Elric for twenty five or more years and have refused to consider them, ultimately. The Weitz brothers and I are very much on the same page.
                          We both agree good effects are necessary and need to be considered carefully and with respect, but that character and story are the main things we have to consider. Some of the best fantastic films have actually been produced on low or relatively low budgets and this has often added to their atmosphere (as in the case of the old Universal horror films, for instance, plus quite a lot of TV stuff). We have a big budget, but we are looking to the values sometimes lost in modern big budget movies -- concentration on character, on human duality, narrative values and so forth. Again -- if I wasn't convinced by the intelligence, intentions and skills of the Weitz brothers, I wouldn't want them to make the picture!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Mike,
                            I know the industry a little, and I'm absolutely sure that you and the Weitz Bros will come out with a very convincing result. There is no 100% safety in this business and no film will ever please everybody. But what seems very positive is that you are combining your energies, imaginative and narrational powers and passion to stretch the border of the makeable further and further.
                            I don't think you have to defend the decision to go it with these people, and everybody should be happy that it is happening at all! Nobody could have blamed you if you'd decided to have Elric never made a movie of. So we'll all look forward more or less feverishly and hope for a great success!
                            Lotsa ...
                            L'E
                            Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                            X