Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Snoozer Vine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snoozer Vine

Ultimately, in terms of structure, they describe one character's journey (Jerry's) through what it's probably fair to call a post-modern multiverse
    My reading of Dancers is, at least in part, I think you've said elsewhere that there's something of H G Wells about it. Would that be his Men Like Gods? There's a a character in that called Mr Barnstaple and in your book Amelia Underwood comes from Bromley coincidentally where old Herbert George sprang.

It was funny especially when Captain Mubbers, kroofrudi :lol: went to the Ritz. But as the title of this post says about Snoozer Vine, who somehow reminded me of my Stepdad and I loathed that character. But it's years since i read that when Hawkwind did the Supertent at Finsbury Park and perhaps I was projecting my own feelings onto the oily cove aforesaid.

There was at one time rumours of a JC CDRom in the nineties which I have already asked about when this site was less of the bulletin board that it is now, but the sites still great I just liked the look. They were really good designs for the different pages.

:roll:
    \'You know my destiny?\' said Elric eagerly. \'Tell me what it is, Niun Who Knew All.\'
    Niun opened his mouth as if to speak but then firmly shut it again. \'No,\' he said. \'I have forgotten.\'

The Time Traveller was what I was mostly referencing. Not entirely sure I've read Men Like Gods. And yes Bromley was picked as Wells's town.
    A snoozer, as I recall, is a man who robs the sleeping, but he might be a pickpocket or something else, I've forgotten. I didn't like him either.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I sorta liked Snoozer. You know, he was all creepy, he was totally selfish, and he exploited others for his own ends, careless of their feelings and what predicaments he put them into. But to act like that, somebody has to have some hurt in his luggage... oh, well, maybe that's just me reading too much into it.
      "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Snoozer: Victorian slang for a thief that specializes in robbing hotel rooms with sleeping guests.

http://www.tlucretius.net/Sophie/Cas...ian_slang.html
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Read Fabulous Harbours this week;

In "The Affair of the Seven Virgins", Sexton Begg's cab driving sidekick is called Tozer Vine. Tozer? "Dozer" perhaps? Probably just a sly in-joke.

Comment

Working...
          X