Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Rain/Hurricane IKE Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Moorcock
    Site Host
    • Dec 2003

Rain/Hurricane IKE Concerns

Originally posted by Groakes View Post
    Hope all goes well for yourself and Linda. Sunny Australia could do you the world of good.... All the best.
    I can imagine lots of good reasons for coming to Australia -- but sunshine ??? We've been praying for rain for months!

Every time there's a hurricane, it seems to sweep either side of us. And as for gas prices, who cares ? I want to catch the bastard who's been siphoning our radiator...
    Last edited by The Cosmic Balance; 09-09-2008, 12:22 AM. Reason: Inserted Groakes' quote for context

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

• Nathaniel
    Champion of the Balance
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
    ...We've been praying for rain for months!
    "Ra-in"? is this some sort of cockney rhyming slang? I'm afraid I am unfamiliar with this thing, whatever it is

Comment

• Groakes
      badseed
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
      "Ra-in"? is this some sort of cockney rhyming slang? I'm afraid I am unfamiliar with this thing, whatever it is
      Some sort of Spanish thing I think...
      Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
      Bakunin

Comment

• Kevin McCabe
        Citizen of Tanelorn
        • Jun 2007

Well, fellows, you're close. Rain is a phenomenon specific to Scotland, the Western half of the State of Washington, and the City of Juneau, Alaska. Its like this: water falls from the sky.
        Kevin McCabe
        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• Groakes
          badseed
          • Jan 2005

You're just making that up! Who would name place "Wimbledon"? Next you'll be telling me that Luxembourg is a real country.
          Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
          Bakunin

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
            Eternal Champion
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
            Well, fellows, you're close. Rain is a phenomenon specific to Scotland, the Western half of the State of Washington, and the City of Juneau, Alaska. Its like this: water falls from the sky.
            One of the driest, sunniest, places in Britain, this summer, was way up in the North West of Scotland. We had a great holiday, as long as we stuck to the Western Isles and above the Great Glen.

The inhabitants of Ullapool were almost complaining about a drought.

Comment

• David Mosley
              Eternal Administrator
              • Jul 2004

I'm feeling a bit like Piglet round where we live.

It rained and it rained and it rained... Piglet told himself that never in all of his years (and he must have been, goodness knows, three, or was it four by now?) -- never had he seen so much rain. Days and days and days of rain.

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• dylerpillar
                Freelance Writing and Editing Unprofessional
                • Aug 2008

It's been a wet summer here, too.
                Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• thingfish
                  sairfecht
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post

The inhabitants of Ullapool were almost complaining about a drought
                  I know Pietro and they would have had the lack of eligible sheep at this time of year not been foremost in their minds!
                  "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Kevin McCabe
                    Citizen of Tanelorn
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
                    One of the driest, sunniest, places in Britain, this summer, was way up in the North West of Scotland. We had a great holiday, as long as we stuck to the Western Isles and above the Great Glen.

The inhabitants of Ullapool were almost complaining about a drought.
                    I spent one of the wettest, most squishiest, most sodden, most water-running-down-the-neck of my jacket, and funnest Februaries of my life up there. I didn't stay long in Ullapool, though. Just coming and going from the Outer Hebrides. Very cool ferries! If you go the night before, you can shower and sleep on them for free and wake up at your destination!
                    Kevin McCabe
                    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

• thingfish
                      sairfecht
                      • Sep 2007

February in the Outer Hebrides Kevin!!

Brave man
                      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

• Groakes
                        badseed
                        • Jan 2005

Hence the ferries being very "cool"....
                        Bakunin

Comment

• Kevin McCabe
                          Citizen of Tanelorn
                          • Jun 2007

Had the place to myself, which was good thing for everybody. Made it so that only the sheep were in any real danger from my driving. Incredibly beautiful place. Especially the Atlantic coasts. Nice people, bad fish and chips. Weird academics. Very cool stone circle and avenues!
                          Kevin McCabe

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                            Site Host
                            • Dec 2003

Wettest holiday I ever spent was in Marazion, Cornwall. All I had to read was a Cornish-English (not English-Cornish) dictionary. Out of that wet, wet fortnight came the first Corum series! Rain good. Sun make you lazy...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                            X