Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

where is Tanalorn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    You're welcome!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    thank you very much for your answers :)

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Well, it's commonly said, as I recall, that you must find Tanelorn in your own heart and the city does stand for that inner tranquility most of us can discover with a bit of effort. It certainly shifts about on the map.
    It turns up in the hinterland of the land of the 'New Tribes' in the forthcoming Elric graphic novel, which starts to go out, I think, in September. Of course, it's also described in some detail in the short story To Rescue Tanelorn in the omnibus collection 'Earl Aubec' and in
    earlier editions of Elric novels still available cheaply on line. I think it's in The Weird of the White Wolf or the Bane of the Black Sword, both of which are primarily collections of Elric and Elric-related short stories.

Leave a comment:

• Jagged
    replied
    While we're waiting for Mike's comments, let me just but in and say that we actually have one of the aspects of Tanelorn at The End of Time, I believe. Alghough we call it Shanalorm, and we don't really put more value on it than the other senile cities around.

Tanelorn seems something like a Shangri-La to the Eternal Champion -- but Tanelorn is definately real, at least to some of his incarnations. Elric went there at least once, but didn't stay. I guess the Champion, like anybody else, won't get a final rest in Tanelorn until all his work is done. And getting through a myriad of incarnations does take some time, I guess...

So resting in Tanelorn permanently is not really an option for anybody who still feels a kind of responsibility to the world's pains, I guess. "The war never ends," so says Lobkowitz, "the best we can hope for is a rest between the battles." (Or something to that effect, anyway).

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic where is Tanalorn?

where is Tanalorn?

hello here,

my question as two sides, and the first one is that i wonder in wich book the eternal champion reach Tanalorn, sory but i have not read all your books, only those i come across in my wandering. i've heard about "the quest of tanalorn" but couldnt find the book (london) or maybe it has another title.

the other side is, having followed the adventure of John Daker, its seems to me that to the end he get only a "respise" and await for his loved Eldren. knowing that this will be a limited rest. So can the Eternal champion realy reach Tanalorn and stay in it forever? it seems that he has been there before, but then, why leaving Tanalorn?

having read only the few hackmoon, elrick and john daker adventure, i guess Tanalorn lie in the heart, when one find it at peace, so one can say that in every reflection of Tanalorn, there is a small replication.
    but i am speculating.

oh i must add also, that whenever i read one of your book i know that it would reflect exacly what i want to read, actualy, i started few years ago a short story about, i warrior who was wielding a ice sword, who was his soul, tool of the sceme of sorcerer.... it was my surprise to read the story of the eternal champion recently, to discover that you made it (much better) few decades ago!
    Or is the tales of lost warrior, an eternal dream of the mind existing at all era?

anyway, thank you for your great work!
Working...
X