Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

"Moorcock's Metaphysics" (Serial) - Notifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Moorcock's Metaphysics" (Serial) - Notifications

Dear all,

I'm writing a serial on Mike's metaphysical and metaphorical ideas over six weeks. I've been asked to post an announcement here to help people keep track (although each part will go up regularly on Thursday).

There are currently two parts:
    1. Michael Moorcock
    2. Law and Chaos
    I'll try and remember to post to this thread as I add each part.

Thanks to everyone here at the Miscellany who is helping me with my inquiries as I construct the serial - your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Best wishes!

Thanks Chris

Comment

The third part is now up:I had some difficulty with this one, and it still contains claims which I fear are too bold. Still, such is the price of trying to lay out a complex mythos in under 1,500 words apiece.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the research for this one!

Comment

What next?

Comment

"The Multiverse" is next, which is about the remaining major symbols I couldn't get into "The Eternal Champion" piece - the multiverse itself, Tanelorn and the Grail (and the Dark Ship, for that matter).

I haven't drafted it yet, so I don't have my questions - should find time early next week to do this.

Best wishes!

Comment

And then? Jugaderos?

Comment

My, but you're inquisitive.

The current plan is to segue into the Jerry Cornelius mythos (a review of Mike's novels would be incomplete without it!), then finish on the Game of Time (as the later mythos to contrast to the earlier Eternal Champion).

I have hit a snag, though, as I'm going to be travelling during the last few weeks of the serial. I have to decide whether to break it for a month, or to set it to run on automatic while I'm away... Not sure which way to bend on this one.

Best wishes!

Comment

Very interesting Chris. I feel I ought to read Campbell, since clearly we had instincts along similar lines. I don't know about Tolkien. Is Turin in the trilogy ? I have to admit that I have only skimmed Tolkien and while I saw the movies, don't remember much concerning the notion of constant repetition (with minor changes if you do major effort!). I ought to get hold of a copy of LOTR and maybe skim it more thoroughly! I'm a terrible model of a fantasy writer -- have scarcely read two major writers -- Lovecraft and Tolkien. What can this mean ? I have to say that articles like yours do help illuminate my own work for me. Thanks.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I thought Joseph Campbell's discussion of Star Wars and its numerous ties relating back to classical mythology was well reasoned and demonstrated. Then again, just about all his works appear to me to strive to find a common reference with the reader. Did he do something similar with Mr. Moorcock's work? If so, I'd be interested in it as well.

Comment

Campbell's Hero with a thousand (faces? masks? I can't remember which) does seem to be rather an influential work, or at least well read. On a side note, an interesting inversion of the central idea appeared recently in a (shock horror) computer game called "Mask of the Betrayer". Idea put foward was that as people wear masks they increasingly "become" the mask. This, in combination with Campbell (name keeps poping up in threads this month) made me think of the idea of a "Mask with a thousand heroes"
                    Is there much diference between 1 "hero" filling a thousand roles (individual heroes) and a single role (that of "Hero") inhabited by 1000 individuals who "become" the role?

which of these is the EC closer to?

Comment

Whoa-whoa-whoa!
                      That idea has been 'reserved' and is being written as we speak.

The Red Masque series I'm writing is exploring that very idea with my own stable of characters.

Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

It's similair to the medieval concept of a 'crown' or 'throne'.

Comment

I'd say great minds think alike, but that would be rather inaccurate towards yours truely. I'd say fools never differ , but that would be unkind and untrue of you...
                          I'l just borrow form Jung and mention synchronicity

Comment

Let's laugh and call ourselves Great Fools.
                            After all, it is a powerful card in the TAROT.
                            Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X