Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Fhoi Myore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dacrydium
    Wanderer of the Mittel March
    • May 2007

Fhoi Myore?

Mike,

How in the world do you pronounce Fhoi Myore?

Capt. Smiorgan Baldhead
  • Marca
    Eternal Champion
    • Aug 2004

No idea how Mike intended it to be pronounced, but I've always thought of it as 'Foy My-ory'. Any other variations before Mike gives us his version?
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

• David Mosley
      Eternal Administrator
      • Jul 2004

Fhoi Myore is a 'corruption' of Fomorian, so I'd say 'foy-more';* but 'for-more' might be more accurate?

*'Foy' as in 'toy', 'boy' or ' joy'.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

• Heiron
        Pawn of multiverse
        • Jun 2006

The Greek translation uses the name "foo O y - me yOr" ("me" as the word "me")....I didn't know how it was written.

Comment

• Kipper
          Lost Boy
          • Nov 2006

I've always thought of it as Foy Me-Or, three syllables. Whether right or wrong, it helps my mind to assimilate it if I can pronounce it. I find that unpronounceable words cause mental stumbling blocks that can interfere with the flow of a story.
          He's well smoked

Comment

• Doc
            Doc
            Eternal Champion
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kipper View Post
            I've always thought of it as Foy Me-Or, three syllables. Whether right or wrong, it helps my mind to assimilate it if I can pronounce it. I find that unpronounceable words cause mental stumbling blocks that can interfere with the flow of a story.
            I'm with you, Kipper. I find a pronunciation that works for me and go with it. Otherwise I stumble every time I see the word.

For what its worth, I always read "Foy More." Until everyone here made me question it...

Comment

• Heiron
              Pawn of multiverse
              • Jun 2006

It seems the translator chose a shlightly different name...
              Anyway,I usually don't pay attention to names.Sometimes I do mistakes in my stories.I remember a hero I named "Sardiv" but later on I wrote "Sadriv",possibly having in mind Elric's father with his similar name.

Comment

• johneffay
                Born Again Nihilist
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                I'm with you, Kipper. I find a pronunciation that works for me and go with it. Otherwise I stumble every time I see the word.
                There's a Peanuts comic strip which goes something like:

Lucy - "I see you're reading The Brothers Karamazov."
                Linus - "Yep."
                Lucy - "How do you cope with all those long Russian names?"
                Linus - "Oh, I just bleep right over them."

Comment

• Doc
                  Doc
                  Eternal Champion
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
                  There's a Peanuts comic strip which goes something like:

Lucy - "I see you're reading The Brothers Karamazov."
                  Linus - "Yep."
                  Lucy - "How do you cope with all those long Russian names?"
                  Linus - "Oh, I just bleep right over them."
                  Leave it to Linus to find the best strategy.

Comment

• Dwarf Berserker
                    Defender of Tanelorn
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
                    Foy ME OR is my way...
                    Gratifying to know I had at least THAT one right, as I read those books all those years ago.
                    I still can't believe how long I thought it was "Sid-He", instead of "Shee"!
                    My ignorance of the tongue of my ancestors is appalling
                    "It is a matter of perspective, Corum. We follow our whims..." -Arioch

Comment

Working...
                    X