Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Planetary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug
    Moonbeam Traveller
    • Dec 2003

Planetary

Mike
    Can't tell you enough how enjoyable this site is, it provides hours of entertainment.
    Anyway, I have a couple of quick questions- you have name checked a few british comicbook writers (Talbot, Gaiman & Moore), but I have never seen a mention of Warren Ellis, who has written some fine stories, but my current favourite is 'Planetary' which is a superb series, a great homage to pulp heroes, Japanese monster movies and many other popular icons, the series is drawn by the fantastic John Cassiday and well worth tracking down. The reason I have brought this up is that the first volume has a nice dedication to you- "And it's also for Mike Moorcock, an inspiration, who, in saying the following, defined my approach to writing:"Death is no obstacle". Just wondered if you had come across the book.
    The next question concerns what TV programmes you get sent from Britain, having read you watch Eastenders, I thought I would ask what else you enjoy/are aware of. The BBC have been producing some fantastic comedies like "Little Britain", a bit sick but very funny, and I know from your books that you have a wicked sense of humour/parody.
    Thanks for your time.
    Doug
  • Michael Moorcock
    Site Host
    • Dec 2003

Warren's a friend and I love his work. I think it hasn't come up because of the context of the discussions, that's all. I have lost touch with him and his work just recently, but for no special reason -- just that we're both very busy. I haven't seen that book. I'll check it out on my annual visit to the Austin comic shop!
    I live a long way from civilisation, see... :)
    Haven't seen Little Britain yet, though I've been promised some. Watch
    Buzzcocks and Have I Got New For You -- enjoyed the Royle Family and
    others of the same kind. Am looking forward to catching up on a little bit of UK TV when we're in London for about a week in April, though there won't be much chance.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Jerico
      Champion of the Balance
      • Jan 2004

Well it's April Mike.
      So are you leaving this next week?
      Travel safely, pard!
      \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
      Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
        Site Host
        • Dec 2003

Thanks. Will be leaving this coming Wednesday. New York
        until Sunday when we leave for London and then to Manchester, then back to London, then back to NY, then home. Kerpuff, kerpant. Leaving the cats in good hands but won't have access to computers for anything but basic email and emergencies. I dread to think how far behind I'll be when I come back to MWM!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• VonWeiner
          Eternally Confused
          • Jan 2004

Well, I for one will have to regain my position as poster supreme! I have allowed myself to overtaken by you Mike. :oops: :lol:

But seriously, take care and have a good trip. We look forward to your return. :D
          When they had advanced together to meet on common
          ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
          and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
          each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
          mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
          killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

• PsychicWarVeteran
            Flesh Bag of Mostly Water
            • Mar 2004

Yup, have a great trip, MM! The Ruby Thr-- er, the website is in good hands...
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

• Theocrat
              Eternal Companion
              • Dec 2003

Travel safely man! :)

Comment

• EverKing
                Eternal Companion
                • Jan 2004

Have a wonderful trip, Michael!
                "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

• L'Etranger
                  Veteran Moorcockista
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                  Thanks. Will be leaving this coming Wednesday. New York
                  until Sunday when we leave for London and then to Manchester, then back to London, then back to NY, then home. Kerpuff, kerpant. Leaving the cats in good hands but won't have access to computers for anything but basic email and emergencies. I dread to think how far behind I'll be when I come back to MWM!
                  Hey, let's all go on a holiday while Mike is overseas (closer to Old Europe, too, aren't we being blessed?)
                  Cheerio, and safe journey!
                  L'Etranger
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

• Omaru
                    Denizen of Moo Uria
                    • Dec 2003

Safe journey, Mr. M!

Comment

• Bill
                      Champion of the Balance
                      • Feb 2004

Have a good trip

If you like beer, and quiet dingy places in which to drink it, try McSorley's while you are in New York City, about a block east of NYU. I think it is 7th St. or 13th St. Can't remember.

Comment

• Etive
                        Citizen of Tanelorn
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                        Haven't seen Little Britain yet, though I've been promised some.
                        Me neither because I'm a TV hating mutant. There is a radio version though, you can find it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/littlebritain.shtml

Comment

• dasNdanger
                          Duchess Headesplode
                          • May 2009

Just got the 4 trades of Planetary and started reading a couple days ago. Was rather pleased to stumble across this little find in Vol. 2 (Planetary #7):

We have the pale guy ('Elric'), the redhead ('Moonglum'), and the woman ('Zarozinia', 'Yishana', 'Myshella', 'Cymoril'...take yer pick... ).

das
                          Last edited by dasNdanger; 12-09-2010, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• David Mosley
                            Eternal Administrator
                            • Jul 2004

Ooh, nice find, das.
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                            X