Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

lucid dreaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lucid dreaming

Hello,
    Mr. Moorcock. Have you any experience with lucid dreaming and are there any specific plots, characters or scenes from your work which were born from a dream state? Some of my favorite ideas have occured to me during a lucid dream state and I am curious to know if any of my favorite Moorcock stories came from the land of dreams. I read your Eternal Champion series when I was 13 years old and it really inspired my imagination as well as my natural tendency to question authority. Real rock n roll in a book and it is all your fault man! No, I digress, I cannot blame my wild nature on you, however I do want to thank you for all of the great adventures into the strange worlds of your imagination. I am new to this place and I thank you for providing this forum. I hope you are well.
    "But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm trying real hard to be the shepard."

Until very recently, I was not aware of dreaming much at all, after my early teens (when I dreamed I had died and stood in a kind of Celestial Tube Station wondering whether to take the escalator down or up. I chose down, but someone popped out and told me I should be going up.
    Very nice of them. I went up and arrived at the pearly gates where my
    mother was waiting for me. She said she was pleased to see me but couldn't let me in. St Peter was supposed to do that. St Peter asked me three questions. Two were easy, but the third seemed tricky. When I answered as truthfully as I could, I was allowed in. I blame John Bunyan for that one. Just recently I have had some unpleasant dreams involving concentration camps, but no doubt that's because I've been completing the camp scenes in the final volume of Pyat, The Vengeance of Rome.
    Also, I haven't been writing much fiction lately. I suspect that when I don't write fiction I start to dream again. I used to describe the process of writing fiction as 'dreaming aloud'. I seem to accumulate dream material when not working. I'll be glad to get back to fiction, and with luck will get less disturbed night's rest! Thanks for your kind comments.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I love dreams. Especially the feeling of control and creativity of a lucid dream.

Unfortunately, my dreams have been at best vague for the last couple years. Though I imagine I was dreaming something about fire last night because the first words through my head this morning was "incendiaries! That oughtta' do the trick." I think that I was coming up with ways to get rid of alarm clocks
      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

You are very welcome.
        What a cool dream. Good thing someone was there to give you directions, {it shows at least some faith in the good samaritan} otherwise, who knows where you would have ended up or what kind of questions you would have been facing.
        We can train ourselves to produce lucid dream states and with very little practice one can achieve results in fairly short order. I have taken a break from this practice of late as I am currently writing and drawing a graphic novel concerning World War Two and as I research this I find my own dreams require no small amount of processing most mornings. I have written some imaginative stuff while being aware of the fact that I am dreaming as well as acting a role in the dream, while editing everyone's dialog. It is really a lot of fun. When I was a young child I dreamt of coming home from kindergarten to find my entire family waiting for me, then, silently, slowly, and in unison they all removed their face plates to reveal the circuitry beneath. As I ran for my life, I discovered that no one in the neighborhood was home, anywhere. The only thing that saved me was a my own voice saying "wake up" and when I awoke, drenched in sweat, I discovered that half of our house was on fire. We escaped with seconds to spare and watched it burn as the firemen appeared to find they had wasted a trip. True story. Dreams are the dialog between the mind and the soul. Hey, let's create a dream forum! A collection of dream stories. What do you say?

Comment

What's the trouble Michael - a Rake's Progress?

:)

Comment

I understand "a rake's progress" but the rest is lost on me at this time. What do you mean?

Comment

Just silliness. I think MM was most probably referencing the famous work "The Pilgrim's Progress" by writer John Bunyan (see: http://www.ccel.org/b/bunyan/progress/pilgrim1.html). To make fun, I referenced a famous piece by artist William Hogarth - "A Rake's Progress" (see: http://www.library.northwestern.edu/...ricality6.html).

"The Pilgrim's Progress" I think can be summarized as being about the difficulties of attaining heaven (as in MM's dream, where he stumbles on the third question). "A Rake's Progress" is a series of etchings about a man who not only will not attain heaven, he will end up in the nuthouse. A rake is an "immoral or dissolute person; a libertine" - which of course, MM actually isn't (he is the best judge of that though). So basically, I was chiding MM that he was in the same predicament as the Rake in Hogarth's piece.

The second to last panel of Hogarth's work is funny in relation to MM: "Now in debtor's prison, Tom's last hope is to write a play. A rejection letter beside him reads, "I have read your play and find it will not do."

Still, it's fun having stupid little jokes about art and literature with a favorite author, eh? Of course, I could also be completely wrong about all of this. Maybe I'm just being a pretentious asshole and MM called me on it!

This is how to make sure MM never signs your books, even if you offer him cold, hard cash!

:)

On with the dreaming...

Comment

Hi Krunky,
                Thanks for the reply and I thought that is what you guys meant yet was not sure. I decided " It is better to be silent and let others wonder if i am a fool than to open my mouth and make it obvious."
                By the way, i was friends with a guy years ago whom i named krunky because he loved to get "KRRRUNKED" on Jack Daniels and i cannot help but wonder if you two have anything in common? HMMM...Let's have a toast to the Hogarth pieces!

Comment

Forgive me for lowering the tone of this discussion, but if you can control your dreams, are you not tempted to... well, just arrange to seduce the cast of Buffy the Vampire Slayer every night, or something like that? Is that possible? If so, I'm very much interested in any links you could provide to set me on the path to lucid dreaming.

I've always considered myself fairly creative, but I've never been able to use a single idea I came up with during a dream. I just like to enjoy the total anarchy of my brain unleashed. I do keep a dream journal, but it's more for my own random amusement than any specific attempt to pilfer my subconscious for ideas.

D...
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

My dreams are the dullest dreams anyone has ever had. I dream I'm waiting for a No 11 bus for twenty minutes and then three all come along at once... Or I can't find the cornflakes in the supermarket.
                    Linda on the other hand dreams these incredibly elaborate dreams, with casts of millions, set on strange planets. Yet she's always saying I have a weird mind.
                    What does this tell us about dreaming ?

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                      My dreams are the dullest dreams anyone has ever had. I dream I'm waiting for a No 11 bus for twenty minutes and then three all come along at once... Or I can't find the cornflakes in the supermarket.
                      Linda on the other hand dreams these incredibly elaborate dreams, with casts of millions, set on strange planets. Yet she's always saying I have a weird mind.
                      What does this tell us about dreaming ?
                      Well now, that is an interesting question Michael.
                      I would imagine on the one hand that the content of our dreams is a conscious and on the other hand also a subconscious choice. I can only refer to my own experience since I am not you. But here is what is occuring to me. I am working on a fictional story played out in the historical reality of WW2 and I am using my conscious mind to grasp some gruesome facts, and my conscious mind knows that they happened so does my subconsciouness. When I am writng the purely fictional parts of the story I consciously know they are fictional in nature and to some extent the product of my subconsciousness. I am not dreaming about these aspects of the story because all of my issues concerning these elements are handled because they originate with me. My issues concerning the historical elements clearly do not begin with me and I know they happened so I have subconscious issues of my own to work through on the subconscious channel. Also fiction you create is an action you take and others react to. The history of others is an action we react to. No action without reaction, it is just a question of who playes what role. When I was seven years old I spent a lot of time in the school library devouring every book i found remotely interesting and when I had exhausted these I found a book and inside I found a picture which haunts me to this day of a deceased concentration camp victim and I will never forget how I felt the world had just tilted to an obscure angle in the moment I realized this was real. Of course my first question was why would someone do this to another Human Being? Then I was reminded of the physical wounds suffered by my first real friend from kindergarten who was born to the unfortune of being an African American living in Tennessee in the early sixties. Couple this with my own trivial wounds of other people's prejudice towards me for the company I kept and it is little wonder my subconscious mind is still working on these issues. Does any of this explanation work for you?
                      i apologize for the long winded answer and
                      i really am striving to be a more concise writer so please bear with me.

Buffy was okay but Willow was a suprising Tigress!

Here is a site for you kind folks who wish to explore this subject and please be sure to note the differences between lucid dreaming and controlled dreaming. May they serve you well.

www.lucidity.com

Comment

DeeCrow, man!
                        You need to be weened off of Buffy.
                        Didn't it get cancelled already?
                        or that was Angel.
                        Ok, Buffy's next! :o
                        \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                        Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Hrrrmmphf! (arrogant guy clearing his throat)
                          Of course I already started a thread on dreaming and
                          posted the psychological theories behind it...

[broken link]

Mike's dreams seem to fall under
                          the "dreams as problem solving" theory.
                          Same as mine!
                          To me, it means Mike has a very sound mind! ;)
                          Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 02:24 PM.
                          \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                          Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

LOL, you guys are great.

Comment

Working...
                            X