Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Help! A week to write my dissertation :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Check out the Sexton Blake site, too. It has a good argument on the hero-villains of the Blake series. Zenith led to Elric, after all.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I would guess work on the existentialists would turn up stuff aout the anti-hero. I suppose I discuss it a bit in Death is No Obstacle (also with Colin Greenland) and I know a French academic (whom I've accidentally lost touch with) wrote a good piece on Nietzsche and Eternal Champion, though I'm not sure where you'd find it online. The Golden Bough and the White Goddess probably discuss the confused hero, if not the anti-hero. Byron, of course -- most of the Romantics -- Mary Shelley and
    Frankenstein ? And there's an argument that Hammett's heroes are often anti-heroes (Red Harvest ?).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    dissertation

Hi

Sorry this is probably too late, and you've probably covered this one in any case, but Colin Greenland's The Entropy Exhibition covers Glogauer to some extent.

Good luck - I disserted "Self-Creation" in the JC Quartet for my degree nearly 20 years ago, and am revisiting it since it was originally typed in triplicate on a portable typewriter, and there has been the best part of a Pyat tetralogy since then.

Cheers

Harry Thomson

8O 8O

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Help! A week to write my dissertation :(

Help! A week to write my dissertation :(

Hi,

I'm writing my dissertation on the role of the anti-hero in contemporary 20th century science fiction/fantasy. Basing it (I think) mainly on 'Behold the Man', 'Tiger! Tiger!', and 'A Clockwork Orange' for my 3 chapters but hopefully branching out to giants like the 'Gormenghast' trilogy, the Elric series, Bester's other novels, maybe LOTR for Gollum, etc. Would've liked to take Elric and Steerpike as main considerations, but although I've read and absorbed most of stories on the former and all of the latter, I think their sheer scale would make them an unreasonable target for these few days I have left (on this earth), I think halfway through the material, most of it highlighted by then with yellow pen, would find me at my deadline, and Karl/Gully/Alex make slightly more encapsulated subjects!

I wondered if any of you might have taken something like this on before and could point me towards some relevant source material. At the moment I'm finding Edward James's 'Science Fiction in the 20th Century' useful, along with Lord Raglan's 'The Hero' (anybody know if he's a descendant of the Lord Raglan who captained the charge of the light brigade?! If so, would make sense that he'd write such a book!). I don't feel like I've assimilated quite enough to go on yet, and would greatly appreciate any pointers!

Thanks,
    David Welch
Working...
X