Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Cymoril - The name.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cymoril - The name.

I'm new here and i want to know as much as possible about the name Cymoril. I was born Cymoril Almena Elizabeth. I am always being asked where my name comes from and have always just said a sci fi book, but i really want to know more. I seem to be the only Cymoril out there. I really want to know where Michael got the name from and how he thought of it if its completely contrived. Did he place a meaning with the name - if so what?
    I'd appreciate any help from anyone out there with my identity search!

Welcome Cymoril!

I'm sure Mike will fill you in on the origins of the character name. If you're named after the character then I think that's really nice. Always liked the sound of it myself when I first read Elric nearly 30 years ago!

Were your parents fans of Mike's work?
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

As far as i know it was a book they'd just read (i was born in '77). It must have captured my dads imagination - he was a bit of an artist - i remember a rendering of the character that he'd drawn in inks being on the wall when i was a child. Unfortunately, i lost them both when i was 12, so never really got to ask them much more about it all.
      Thanks, for replying. I do feel priviliged to have such a unique name! It's caused a few problems in the past though. I went to a public boarding school and the headmaster insisted that it was welsh in basis and wouldn't pronounce it how we all did (simoril) kiamoril was more like how he said it. What is the feeling with Morcock fans on the pronounciation?
      Thanks, again, Cymoril.

Comment

Welcome aboard - beautiful name . It's pronouced "simoril" in the Elric audiobooks, so I'd say that your headmaster was in need of some education himself, heh heh.
        The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

Originally posted by Cymoril2011 View Post
          What is the feeling with Morcock fans on the pronounciation?
          Questions about pronounciation crop up from time to time - and one day will be included in the FAQ - and certainly I think there is a loose consensus on the 'usual' pronunciation of words; but this comment from Mike may interest you:

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
          Yep. How do you prefer to pronounce Chichester, for instance ? Or, shall we say, Leghorn ? Or Peking ?
          While I have certain preferred pronunciations of my own, however you chose to pronounce the names is fine by me. Accents are usually there to function in ways normal to French or German, for instance, and that's about it. If you want to produce Yyrkoon Eerkoon or Yerkoon of Yrrrrkn or however is up to you and your ears. In a world where half the people pronounce Iran Eye Ran and the others pronounce it Ear Ran and the Iranians pronounce it slightly differently depending what part of their country they live in, it seems natural to me that you should pronounce a name according to your own taste. I am, after all, not describing reality here and there are not likely to be any Melniboneans turning up to complain you've hurt their feelings by not producing Hishgegrowinaaz right...
          That was originally posted in this thread.

See also this thread and this thread for more pronunciation queries.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thank you all so much for your comments - it's nice to know that the concensus is that i've been saying my name right for the last 29 years!

Comment

Hi Cymoril -- I think it's a lovely name and am extremely flattered your parents gave it to you. Unlike Elric, which has pretty obvious Nordic roots, Cymoril was made up by me because I liked the 'music' of the name.
              This isn't the first time an author has made up a name. Perhaps Pamela is the best known. I have always pronounced it with an 'S' beginning -- SimORel... Your headmaster sounds pretty typical. I remember my daughter Kate coming home in tears because when she was asked where pasta came from she answered (correctly) China and was mocked by her teacher for not answering Italy... Strangely, people often say "Welsh' if they don't actually know where a name comes from. I'm glad there's a Cymoril to carry on the name. I wish I could thank your parents. I can, at least, thank you.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Wow, Michael, i'm really honoured that you've posted a reply to my thread! I never expected to get a reply from 'the man himself' !!

I don't quite know what to say - i'm still pretty blown away.

I'm really pleased to hear from the horses mouth, so to speak, that my name is being said right. My family are very impressed too, one of them was even a bit tearful!

I agree that the name is quite lyrical and have always been proud of it - even if it was secretly whilst i was a teen (lots of ribbing was had). I feel a renewed pride today knowing how you, my names creator, feels about it too.

Thank you again for you response - if you have time could you perhaps tell me if you attached any particular meaning to the name?

Comment

Mike, you have a perfect talent for name-making by the way. Cymoril is my favourite female name!

I am also fond of Zarozinia and Oone.

And to you, Cymoril. Greetings, and welcome to the site by the way. Hope you enjoy the conversations here. Most of my time is spent here.

you have a lovely name. Your parents chose well. The name Cymoril should be cherished, you may just be the only one with that name! So lucky, you are!

Glad to have another member here.

Aye, Mike speaks to us all the time here...

I was shocked at first, but you'll get used to it. Just purchase some Bayer so you won't cringe over from a heart attack.

A jest to thee.

This is the only site I know of where you can actually speak to your favorite author. In a normal way too... None of my other favourites have such a site!

The Dark Mage
                  Last edited by The Dark Mage Of Melnibone; 09-02-2007, 11:39 AM.
                  They're all true... Especially the lies.

Comment

Well, Cymoril, I attached a very special meaning to the name since she was based on a beautiful girl I had met in a dream when I was fairly young and with whom, in the dream, I was deeply in love. The perfect love, if you like. As she was Elric's.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Amusingly enough, given what Mike has said, I have always thought that Oona and Oonagh were gealic (and would have guesed welsh in a pinch) in origin. And completely agree, Cymoril is a beautiful name

Comment

Una (Truth) is the version I originally used as in Una Persson, my 'first' Una. This was taken from The Fairie Queene. Oonagh is Gaelic, though more likely to be Irish than Welsh.

Comment

not to bump heads with the masters on the subject.... but names are valued mostly by what you assign to it...

as i have been informed time and again the samson and deliliah story i remember is not actually in the bible... but the name has strength because i give it strength

its so awesome that you were born with such a beautiful name (id have everything monogramed if i were you lol)
                          XXVIII

Truth - We are not Free.
                          Dogma - We must obey.

Comment

I agree entirely. As we also draw on our family histories and legends for examples. This is the value of tradition and why it should be respected. Judges Ch. 16 Verses 4-20 ? What bit isn't in the Bible ? Victor Mature and Susan Hayward ? Just curious
                            I like the fact that people can also give themselves tags, these days, which suit their ideals and ambitions. I think we should each have a traditional name and a chosen name. I suspect there are already cultures which practice this notion.

Comment

What name would each of you select for your 'chosen name'?

Mike,

I know your have written under several names,but what are some of your nicknames?

Did anyone ever give you a nickname that you use when you are around that person or group?

Thanks!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                              X