Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Automobiles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automobiles?

What kinds of cars do you and Linda drive?

Thanks. :)

My server booted me off after I'd given you a longer answer.
    The short answer is that my days of driving flashy roadsters are over.
    For some years, after one last fling during our Hollywood days (as in
    Letters From Hollywood) we have stuck to sensible cars which are high in the roof (for back problems) and have good leg-room (because of my
    foot problems). We have been driving the same Lexus for three or four years now and wouldn't exchange it for the newer models which have some great features but are far too floaty (more like Cadillacs) in comparison. It is a high-roofed version of the car, but I can't remember
    the model (maybe 330 ?). If I lived in town now (or when I get to live in town again) I'd probably get a scooter. When not riding my bike I used to drive a little Mobilette in the UK, which in my view is all you need for short distance travelling where a bike won't work. With my current foot problems I can't ride a bike.
    The less shit I put into the atmosphere, the happier I am. We are a one car family. If we settled in a European city, we'd probably be a no car
    family. I still prefer to rely on public transport (especially electric) for
    most travelling, renting a car when absolutely necessary. I hope to see
    regular electric cars in my lifetime. Meanwhile Viva La Vesper!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Electric cars hopefully have a future, but I can't imagine one being fun in Texas!!! Lot's of space between stops...

Comment

Certainly not some parts of Texas. There is always the biodegradable horse, for instance, which also produces methane...
        But I have no long-term plans to remain in rural Texas much longer.
        We are talking about moving in to Austin, to have a base there, and
        possibly moving back to Continental Europe where in some countries at least we'll find a stronger sense of social justice. Texas has her virtues and in many ways the American idea of freedom flourishes here, but, as I've pointed out for many years, it seems to go hand in hand with a strong authoritarianism and religiosity which doesn't sit well with me.
        The same people who speak most about their 'freedom' are the ones most likely to round up any group they don't like and exile, imprison or shoot them.... Not the majority of Texans, maybe, but a prevailing attitude which gets tiresome to someone who believes a democratic society to be complex and full of useful checks and balances if it's going to work to the general good. At the moment America doesn't seem to be living up to her best aspirations. I have a lot of idealism invested in this country but I moved here when it seemed Texas and the US in general were beginning to make the best of themselves again. What I've actually seen is a falling back on aggressive over-simplification and cruel,
        careless policies which penalise the weak and the poor while revealing levels of racism which I have found shocking. I'm thinking I'd rather put my tax money and voting power into somewhere they might get a better return. Besides, to get back on subject, what's the point of living here when the price of gasoline is rising to European levels ? :)

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Don't be too hard on the Texans. They grew up under that system and they probably need someone like you to help them set things straight again.

However, you are welcome to move to Sweden any time.
          You can't spell "politically correct" without "correct".

Comment

As a Texas resident of four years, I can't disagree with Mike's (small) rant. Personal freedom is a really big deal here in the lone star state. No one will impinge upon yours, as long as you go to church and don't challenge tradition. :)

By the way, many Texans would consider Mike's car an economy sub-compact. :lol:

Comment

Mike, does your car have the big horns on the front?

Comment

Does it have a gun rack?
                The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Or a Kangaroo-bar?

They're mighty dangerous animals, so you'd better mount them. On the back too, for good measure, to be really safe!
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

LEtranger, is a "kangaroo-bar" similar to a cow-catcher (grille on the front of locomotives)?
                    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Well, Mr. M, as a lifelong Texas resident I also can't argue with your above statements. More so than my parents or teachers or anyone else, you have been a major influence on my way of thinking, especially in regard to individualism, sex roles, racism, religion, etc. (I'm 26 and have been an avid reader of your work since I was 11). I have to say that it's been a difficult run, especially my earlier years in the small rural town of Alvarado. I've lived in Denton, TX for about 8 or 9 years now, and it's a far more liberal spot than the vast majority of Texas (Austin also isn't bad) so I get along a lot better than I used to. Although I love Texas and many of the people here, I'm still often made aware that for the most part my ideas make me an outsider, so to speak. I'm not sure where things are going from here and I'm not exactly fearing the worst, but I'm thinking about planning an escape just in case. Maybe to Canada, maybe Brazil. Maybe France. I have some friends in Denmark, but I hear it's tough to get in there.

Comment

Molly Ivens, a treasured daughter of Texas, said it recently -- that Bush sums up the worst Texas aspects -- anti-intellectualism being chief amongst them and machismo being one of the most irritating. But, of course, we should never forget that Texas has given us some great fighting radicals, including Jim Hightower and all those at The Texas Observer. I'm also a fan of a whole bunch of Texas musicians who have made the world a better place, including Leadbelly, Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett and a lot more, living and dead. When you get a REAL liberty loving Texan, I don't think you can get a better person.
                        My main complaint about Lost Pines at the moment, however, is that we can't find anyone who will sit our cats for three weeks in April while I go to visit my grandkids in London. So if any of you Texans out there want to be paid to sit in this old Texas house for
                        three weeks and read books out of my vast library (which I'll have to sell up if I leave -- I can't stand moving it again) and give some company and a little attention to two indoor cats, let me know! :) If we could get a cat sitter when we needed one, it might make me want to stay here more!

Comment

I never thought I'd say this, but now I wish I lived in Texas! :lol:
                          "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                          --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

3 Weeks in April (sounds like a Mirimax film)

Hi Mike,

Which three weeks in April will you need a cat-sitter?
                            I may be available. I have cat-experience, having grown up in a home with indoor cats. Four, of various ages, at one time.
                            It would be my pleasure to assist.

Cheers,
                            Thomas

Comment

If I could only get three weeks off here. Unfortunately, I doubt it. I hope something works out for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X