Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Would you explain The Second Ether to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you explain The Second Ether to me?

Dear Mr. Moorock,

Any amount of words would do.

Ever so happy,
    John Daker

I think the best explanation is in the Multiverse graphic novel.
    I wish I had time to type it all out again, but I don't. If anyone
    wants to scan and copy it here, I won't give them any hassles about copyright!

Comment

This is one of Mike's orphaned Anonymous posts.
      Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

I think the Second Ether stories are quite complex, and that it would be unwise to try boil them down to a few words.

Vonnegut actually once stated in a foreword to one of his books or something that a reader had analyzed his books and come to the conclusion that the message was something like, "Love declines but politeness stays". -- whatever. Vonnegut meekly commented that he had wasted his life writing books when he could just have written a telegram (equivalent to an SMS in our days) to the same effect.

Isn't it a bit unfair to ask somebody who has written over a hundred books to boil them down to a few words?
        Last edited by Jagged; 04-27-2010, 10:50 PM.
        "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Isn't the second ether the place where Law resides? Isn't it a set of universes dominated by science, like ours?
          sigpic "...You are a rogue" Bolorhiag, in The king of the Swords, book two.

Comment

Law is indeed there. As is Chaos.
            I think it is pointed out in a few places that "high science" and "high magic" are really the same thing.

Comment

Working...
            X