Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A Lilli Von Bern Story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lilli Von Bern Story?

Mr Moorcock:

I recently finished re-reading 'The Chinese Agent.' Very entertaining story! Love the characters.

In the story, superspy femme fatale, Lilli Von Bern, "turns over a new leaf" and decides "to become an honest woman."
    You write:
    "Less than a week later she found herself a job as a photographer (natuarally, she had been highly trained in photography) with an all-female exploratory expedition to the upper Amazon and disappeared into the South American hinterland, where, as it happened, she and her fellow explorers stumbled upon a lost tribe of Incas who worshipped her as the goddess she was and obeyed her every wish, so that she and her fellow exploreres decided to settle, since in all truth, they had never had it so good. But that is another story."

Was anything further ever written about this? Sounds like a good premise for a new tale.

Any chance of these characters coming back? Pehaps in a new caper set in modern times? Maybe a longer version with Lilli Von Bern's story included? Both 'The Chinese Agent,' and 'The Russian Intelligence(currently re-reading) are very enjoyable reads.

The descriptions of the totters and Uncle Edmond are great. Uncle Edmond and his horrid "pile" are quite memorable. Was old Charley the Chatham second-hand shop owner from 'David Copperfield' an inspiration for this character? Both had the incessant cough....(Uncle Edmond's, "Ker...Ker...Ker".....and Charley's, "Oh, goroo, goroo.") and grubbiness.

Was Joseph K. from 'The Russian Intelligence,' the physical prototype for Josesph Kiss in 'Mother London?' The name seems a combination of Alan Hodgekiss and Joseph K.? Is there an intentional link between any of these characters?

I found Jack Trevor Story's introduction to 'The Russian Intelligence' interesting. If I'm not intruding, which characters represent Jack and Maggie in "The Chinese Agent?' How was Denmark??

That's all for now. Thank you once again for the good reading and the correspondence!
    \"No, I think Space is a dimension of Time. My theory is that Time is a field and that Space exists as an aspect of Time.\" Michael Moorcock

\"All I know about anything is \"I wasn\'t. I am. I will not be.\" Michael Moorcock

Most of the characters were based on people I knew around Notting Hill. None were based on other literary characters.
    I can't remember Jack and Maggie being in the book. They ARE in one of the Cornelius books, however, which is probably what Jack was talking about.
    I haven't any plans to do any more with any of those characters, I'm afraid. Just too many other projects on (most of which I'm late with).

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
    X