Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mike and Blind Guardian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike and Blind Guardian

I'd like to know if Mike has ever heard of Blind Guardian or any of their songs that are based of the Eternal Champion?

Re: Mike and Blind Guardian

Originally posted by Wormwalk
    I'd like to know if Mike has ever heard of Blind Guardian or any of their songs that are based of the Eternal Champion?
    He said earlier that he hasn't. I haven't heard from him regarding this post yet:

Hi Mike!

I think it would be cool to post the bands who have used MM material in their songs. Maybe sample some the songs in short 30 min takes so as not to infringe upon the rights of the bands own material. But i guess only bands with more that 1 record should be put up! So both you and fans can keep themselves informed of the groups, and their vairious musical interpretations, including your stuff of course!

I found it funny when i was 16y old and we where using an old englishbook in class. And their was a strange interview with a band called "Mournblade" who i think were from england. And contained lyrics about the sword itself. I don't really know what they are up to now though.
    I think they broke up and reformed again!?

Found out that there is also a Black Metal band using that name, who are from greece:
    http://www.redstream.org/Mournblade-...ade_RD4921.php

But otherwise there are alot of other bands who have made songs about mainly Elric stuff, since the theme fits so well to Heavy Metal music et al.
    I have friends who know most af all these bands and have their cd's. So i think i could arrange a homepage with this stuff.
    And create a fine compendium i guess.

Cheers!
    /Jonas

Comment

I'd forgotten about Mournblade. Yes, it would be a great idea to have a site which listed all the bands. There was a short-lived band called Stormbringer, which did a gig at one of the Dragoncons a few years ago,
      but I think they also split up. And, of course, there are a lot of bands which do songs based on EC characters, such as Zakas.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Ok Mike!

I'll see what i can come up with on my week off from work. (The only 'good' thing about working shifts in a striped steel factory!) :).

I'll try to get in touch with my old friends and ask them borrowing CD's.
        Mail's are flying around at this very minute! :)

Cya soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Theocrat
          I'll see what i can come up with on my week off from work. (The only 'good' thing about working shifts in a striped steel factory!) :).
          Did anything come of this, Jonas?

Bأ–C and Hawkwind are obvious candidates. Blind Guardian, Marc Bolan, Cirith Ungol, and Domine have all been mentioned in recent threads.

Btw, which is/are the Moorcock-influenced Bolan track(s)?

Gr.,
          Ant

Comment

Did Bolan do any Moorcock-influenced tracks? I'm pretty familiar with most of his stuff, but none spring to mind. A lot of off the wall fantasy ramblings about wizards and suchlike, admittedly.

How about Tygers of Pan Tang? Did they do any Moorcock songs or did they just like the name?
            \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
              Originally posted by Theocrat
              Did anything come of this, Jonas?
              Gr.,
              Ant
              No... So much to do.. so little time.. Politics and economy are taking up all my 'studying' time. And music *I virtually have a good home studio now*
              takes up the second part of it. So no.. Sorry for the let-down!.. :(

BTW. Domine suxx.. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                Did Bolan do any Moorcock-influenced tracks? I'm pretty familiar with most of his stuff, but none spring to mind. A lot of off the wall fantasy ramblings about wizards and suchlike, admittedly.

How about Tygers of Pan Tang? Did they do any Moorcock songs or did they just like the name?
                Re Bolan:
                Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                I remember Mark Bolan (later T Rex) sending me a book of his lyrics -- which were my words from Elric stories chopped up into short lines!
                Re Tygers:
                Dunno. The only reference to Moorcock on their site is to do with the name.

The Rodney Matthews cover of Diamond Head's first album certainly did...

... but I can't recall anything specifically in their lyrics.

Gr.,
                Ant

Comment

Working...
                X