Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Methodists Object to GWB Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methodists Object to GWB Library

A friend writes

The chosen one is running into some theological opposition to his proposed library and conservative think tank at Southern Methodist University:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/16497335.htm

And earlier,

In a December 16 letter to R. Gerald Turner, president of the Board of Trustees, members of SMU's Perkins School of Theology have urged the board to "reconsider and to rescind SMU's pursuit of the presidential library."

We count ourselves among those who would regret to see SMU enshrine attitudes and actions widely deemed as ethically egregious: degradation of habeas corpus, outright denial of global warming, flagrant disregard for international treaties, alienation of long-term U.S. allies, environmental predation, shameful disrespect for gay persons and their rights, a pre-emptive war based on false and misleading premises, and a host of other erosions of respect for the global human community and for this good Earth on which our flourishing depends.

The letter concludes, "[T]hese violations are antithetical to the teaching, scholarship, and ethical thinking that best represents Southern Methodist University."

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Yeah, but think of all the insider info we could get about Skull 'n' Bones!
    Miqque
    ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

"I understand there are some who have reservations, and my advice to them is understand that a library and institution would enhance education, be a place for interesting discussion and be a place for people to express their views and write and think, and these universities I think understand that and are excited about the prospects, and so am I," he told Belo Corp. television.

According to Mr Bush then these Methodists do not want people to express their views or write or think?
      Or is it just that no one at all, for any reason, wants to be associated with that bum?

"We count ourselves among those who would regret to see SMU enshrine attitudes and actions widely deemed as ethically egregious: degradation of habeas corpus, outright denial of global warming, flagrant disregard for international treaties, alienation of long-term U.S. allies, environmental predation, shameful disrespect for gay persons and their rights, a pre-emptive war based on false and misleading premises, and a host of other erosions of respect for the global human community and for this good Earth on which our flourishing depends."

The Methodists then in their reply describe Bush as being unethical, seeking unlawful imprisonment, denying Global Warming and disregard of the environment, disregard of international law, alienation of relations with international allies, disregard for the rights of homosexuals, lying to justify an illegal war, and erosion of human dignity.

Perhaps they should build this library and call it simply "The Library" as well as building a little Tug boat somewhere and calling it the GWB!

Mr Bush, What have you done? An empty white house for the last 8 years would have been far better for the good of your country and mankind.
      Mr Bush, this means that you are worse than totally and utterly useless, how are we ever going to clean up all your mess?
      Mr Bush, the only good thing you hopefully may have done is to teach us all a good lesson about your kind of moronic fascism.

How the deuce did the good citizens of the USA ever allow him to dupe them enough to put him in the Whitehouse, and then to put him back there a second time?!

Sincerely,
      A concerned citizen of the Global Village

PS. There is such a thing as impeachment for all this failure, what are they waiting for, more proof?
      Plus the sooner is he is out, the sooner we can begin to make things better!
      Last edited by Tales from Tanelorn; 01-19-2007, 03:40 PM.

Comment

i would guess the later .... and he is not only a bum .....

Comment

Originally posted by Tales from Tanelorn
          Mr Bush, What have you done?
          An empty white house for the last 8 years would have been far better for the good of your country and mankind.
          Mr Bush, this means that you are worse than totally useless, how are we ever going to clean up all your mess?
          Missouri had the right idea when they elected a dead man to the US Senate.

Now there's an idea: disqualify the living from standing for election.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Would they count as still being resident in the US ? Of course, it wouldn't always be easy to tell judging by some of the people we elect in the US and UK...

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Let us not forget that Iowa elected representative Jerry Cornelius. A pretty risky strategy, I'd have thought. Looks as if Frank or someone got or to him back in 95, though.

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/GA/76GA...Cornelius.html

Comment

And, my personal favourite, Pigasus...

Pigasus was a pig and satiric candidate for President of the United States for the Youth International Party (Yippies). The pig's name was a play on Pegasus, the winged horse in Greek mythology. Led by Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin, Pigasus's candidacy was announced during the massive protests at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigasus_%28politics%29

Four legs good, and all that...
                "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                  Four legs good, and all that...

Snowball would certainly be a better president than Bush. Maybe even Napoleon...

On the subject of this thread...

I have a few friends who are SMU alums, and all of them are steamed. Some are doners. All are writing letters.

The strongest reaction I've heard is from an athiest SMU grad who is ready to become Methodist to try to get on an official church committee to oppose the library.

I'm not sure why SMU is the first choice, other than that Laura went there. Baylor seems a far more obvious choice, even though W is nominally Methodist and Baylor is a Baptist school. Baylor is unapologetically conservative, so it would be a far better place for the (supposedly) scholarly institute, and it is close to his supposed ranch (former dairy farm) in Crawford. I suspect the SMU decision has something to do with the mammoth house he has supposedly bought in Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                    Would they count as still being resident in the US ?
                    I don't think you can get more 'resident in the US' than being inhumed in a (US) cemetary, can you?
                    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Maybe EVERYONE is distancing themselves and SMU agreed reluctantly as a favour to Mrs B... ? Does every president have to have a library named for him ? Does it have to be a library ? Couldn't they name a land mine plant after him ? Or just a bunker ? We're all going to need plenty of those if he goes on the way he's going.

Comment

Gentlemen, give the guy a break, it would assuredly be a small li-berry
                        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                          Missouri had the right idea when they elected a dead man to the US Senate.

Now there's an idea: disqualify the living from standing for election.
                          Weirdly enough, the moment I read that, "Dead Man's Party" by Oingo Boingo started playing on my CD player.......

Comment

Originally posted by Talisant
                            Gentlemen, give the guy a break, it would assuredly be a small li-berry
                            It will contain only one book--My Pet Goat

The attached think tank concerns me, given the limited capacity for thinking this administration shows.

Comment

Dan Quayle is in a think tank. Bushie has a lie-berry. Following this logic, Cheney should have a Free Clinic.
                              Miqque
                              ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Working...
                              X