Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Where would you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would you go?

If near the end of your life you were given the chance to go anywhere and anytime and stay there for some time, where would you would you choose?
    Which part of your life would you most prefer to live in again? Which part of your life do you remember being the most happy and contented? Or would you prefer to go somewhere quite different? Where is your Tanelorn?
    Last edited by Tales from Tanelorn; 01-18-2007, 12:20 PM.

Somewhere different, for me. Maybe New Zealand, 1500 years ago. That'd be good! About 500 years before the Maoris got there.

Jeez TT! That's a real 'get out the mental baggage' question! What made you come out with that one?
    He's well smoked

Comment

Hey Kip, well I thought it would be an interesting idea and point for discussion.

The last time I saw my dad he told me that he wished he spent more time in the army when he was younger,
      and that you only get one life so you had best decide what you most want to do with it.
      He also said "go west" and I did and I think Canada could end up being the safest place to be the way things are going.

Is this futuristic techno present day world better nowadays with all these PCs, networks and sensors everywhere? Big Brother etc
      Are we happier here?

What about living in the future, has it ever looked worse? Overpopulation, Global warming, religous confrontations and wars over resources looming?
      Would we be better off there?

Some say their childhood was the best time, but look at all the challenges the young face, would you really be happier
      facing all that again?

The distant past was pretty tough for sure. Try camping for a few weeks!

Some even think that non existance would be far better, sure would be a weight off ones mind!

Personally, I would be interested in moving a million years into the future and seeing if we were capable of making it
      through these dark ages of fear and violence. I would also be very pleased to learn the secrets behind this universes
      existance if that were allowed. And then after that spend an eternity on some tropical island without hurricanes!

Typically Tropically Tales from Tanelorn!

PS. perhaps thats why the universe and everything in it exists!
      Last edited by Tales from Tanelorn; 01-18-2007, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I might consider the year A.D. 29 in the wilderness beyond Jerusalem, near Bethlehem - but you'd probably end up getting nailed to something.

So seriously, (and because I don't remember it the first time around although I apparently watched it with my parents) I'd go back to July 29, 1969 - at around 2:55 UTC or so - and to Tranquility Base... just to see the look on Armstrong's face when he steps off the lunar lander.

"Hiya Neil. Glad you could make it."
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I had some pretty good times between the ages of 16 and 27. If I had to revisit my earlier days, they'd be the days I chose.
          A million years from now? Could be good, might not be any humans around. Tropical islands are generally quite small and limiting - NZ North Island still sounds good to me!

Excellent David!
          He's well smoked

Comment

I'd return to my childhood years growing up in Nuhlunbuy in Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory of Australia. That was the one part of my life that I can say I was truly happy. There where very few of the trappings of the modern world there in those days, although this has changed and the place is now vastly different to the one I knew.

My brothers and I spent all of our time exploring the surrounding bush or fishing. I spent time with aboriginals learning to live off the land, and could say with all honesty that if my family had never left, I would still be there to this day.

It truly was like a paradise on earth. I suppose that I would have called it my Tanelorn had I read any of Mikes work in those days.
            My signature is

Comment

Probably Ladbroke Grove in the 60s and 70s for me.
              Pretty simple. My kids were young. Life was sweet.
              I could have done without the hassles around NW and keeping it running. And out of curiosity, I would write something other than the supernatural adventure fiction I WAS writing then, just to see what would happen to me!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Perhaps A Year in Catford?

Probably Holland or Germany (specifically Bavaria) - two places I've had great times in. I never liked Britain all that much, and in many regards the US (at least the parts I've lived in) isn't a great deal better.
                Last edited by devilchicken; 01-18-2007, 07:26 PM.
                Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                  I might consider the year A.D. 29 in the wilderness beyond Jerusalem, near Bethlehem - but you'd probably end up getting nailed to something.
                  Karl Glogauer! You've been disguising yourself as David Mosley so well!

I would probably want to re-live my mid-twenties, right where I was then. To me the possibilities of the future and where it could take me were more vibrant than any actuality might have been.

Comment

Part of me would like to go back and life life again with the benefit of hindsight.

The other part realizes that there's no time like the present...

I would like to end my days somewhere sunny and warm by the sea with the one I love, a stack of books, CDs and DVDs.

...And access to Moorcock's Miscellany of course
                    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Ah...does it have to be realistic? I'd rather travel the multiverse than return to any point in my life...If I had to be specific, I'd like to maybe go to the world/plane that I created for my AD&D campaigns.

Comment

Dal Lake - pre or post hostilities

"A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

I can think of a couple of dozen little honey's that got away from me in my youth. Wouldn't it be blissful to go back and have a second chance in the matter?

Comment

I think Paris, i love it.
                            Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

L'invitation au voyage

Mon enfant, ma soeur,
                              Songe à la douceur
                              D'aller là-bas vivre ensemble !
                              Aimer à loisir,
                              Aimer et mourir
                              Au pays qui te ressemble !
                              Les soleils mouillés
                              De ces ciels brouillés
                              Pour mon esprit ont les charmes
                              Si mystérieux
                              De tes traîtres yeux,
                              Brillant à travers leurs larmes.

Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
                              Luxe, calme et volupté.

Des meubles luisants,
                              Polis par les ans,
                              Décoreraient notre chambre ;
                              Les plus rares fleurs
                              Mêlant leurs odeurs
                              Aux vagues senteurs de l'ambre,
                              Les riches plafonds,
                              Les miroirs profonds,
                              La splendeur orientale,
                              Tout y parlerait
                              À l'âme en secret
                              Sa douce langue natale.

Luxe, calme et volupté.

Vois sur ces canaux
                              Dormir ces vaisseaux
                              Dont l'humeur est vagabonde ;
                              C'est pour assouvir
                              Ton moindre désir
                              Qu'ils viennent du bout du monde.
                              - Les soleils couchants
                              Revêtent les champs,
                              Les canaux, la ville entière,
                              D'hyacinthe et d'or ;
                              Le monde s'endort
                              Dans une chaude lumière.

Luxe, calme et volupté.

Baudelaire

Sorry but my english is not up to translate this poem from on,e of the most famous french poete ...

found by google :

My child, my sister,
                              Think how sweet it would be
                              To go away and live together there!
                              To love at our leisure,
                              To love and to die
                              In the country that resembles you!
                              The hazy suns
                              Of those embroiled skies
                              Hold for my spirit,
                              The so mysterious charms,
                              Of your treacherous eyes,
                              Shining through their tears.

There, all is order and beauty,
                              Luxury, calm, and delight.

Shining furniture,
                              Polished by the years,
                              Would decorate our room;
                              The rarest flowers,
                              Mingling their odors
                              With the faint scent of amber,
                              Opulent ceilings,
                              Deep mirrors,
                              Oriental splendor:
                              All would speak
                              In secret to the soul
                              Its sweet native tongue.

Look at those ships
                              Of a vagabond temperament
                              Sleeping on those canals;
                              It is to gratify
                              Your least desire
                              That they come from the ends of the earth.
                              The setting suns
                              Adorn the fields,
                              The canals, the entire city,
                              In hyacinth and gold;
                              The world falls asleep
                              In a warm light.

Comment

Working...
                              X