Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Ice Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the second day in the sixties (Farenheit) and there is a wonderful melting of the snow. Most side streets (especially in Denver) are ice-packed to a depth of about 8" - just solid layers of ice with "potholes" of melting, playing hob with suspensions. The brake caliper on the truck came loose, and we were lucky that the thing had to go in for a brake job anyhow, and the problem was discovered (it could have been mucho expensive!). Of course the big piles in the parking lots and so forth are untouched, but that's due to the overall cold, which has left snow on the ground nearing seven weeks. (In this part of Colorado, the 'Front Range' as a stairstep before rising another 5-7K feet to the ski areas and mountains proper, snow tends to last three or four days then all melt away.) There's still a solid three feet or so in the back yard, where there's more shade.

So, Mike - what was the sum total of the Texas ice storm? Just the one brief power outage? No doubt lots of broken branches and general wet mess, huh?

With my memory operational (a rare occurance) I think the rest of this winter will be a flip - what has been too warm will be too cold, and vice versa. There was a winter in the early 1980's very similar.

We're expecting more snow this weekend - fits the pattern of snow on Fridays (six of seven of the last weeks, the last Friday snow-free, but we got some Saturday). Longmont, where I live (just a bit south of Boulder on your maps) has gotten hit hard, about twice what Denver has gotten. We're somewhere around 70" in a 45"-normal season. Denver even went so far as to rent giant ice-melters that can thaw 200 tons per hour. Given the amount of snow, that wouldn't make much of a dent. It's going to take God's Ice-Melter (we call it "the sun") to make a real difference, and there will be flooding when it takes place.

It's been an exciting winter, and the first real blizzard for Mr. California Boy Miqque. I moved here for some weather, and got some. All in all, I vastly prefer it to the brurning-hot summers.

Miqque
    ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Yeah, I think the weather people got a bit over excited here, as Doc said. But probably if they hadn't even more idiots would have skidded on black ice, tried to drive through flooded rivers or (a Texas favourite) sideswiped a freight train...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

We've had about 6 inches of snow round our way today, so my daughter rushed out this morning to build a 'little' snowman...

There ain't no finer weather to be reading The Ice Schooner!
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
          We've had about 6 inches of snow round our way today, so my daughter rushed out this morning to build a 'little' snowman...
          It's all right for some! My six-year old daughter has been avidly watching the weather forecasts which have been promising 2 inches of snow around lunchtime. We got nearer 2mm before it all turned to sleet. I'm going to be picking up a very disappointed little girl from school.

By the way, David: how did your daughter manage to reach up to do the head of that snowman?

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay
            By the way, David: how did your daughter manage to reach up to do the head of that snowman?
            That's what parents are for, I guess. :)
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

My, oh my.

And it hasn't melted yet...

Miqque
              ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

My wife's disappointed in our "mild" New York winter, which by all accounts the UK is now receiving... Having lived in Southern California all her life, she was actually looking forward to a white Christmas - all in all it's been quite disappointing.

Of course, I shouldn't wish for inclement weather - we might get something like this....

Something tells me it will take more than 15 minutes to scrape off the windows and start up the car...
                Attached Files
                Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Working...
                X