Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Ice Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received a bit of cosmic revenge for making fun of the way Texans respond to winter weather--the wind and ice knocked over a neighbor's tree, which landed on our side of the fence.

Comment

Is it your by right now? Like whoever salvages a ship becomes the owner of the goods?
      Google ergo sum

Comment

We have to find out for sure, but I'm next to certain they are responsible for cleaning it up and any repairs, but we could have "squatters' rights" to it if we wished.

So if anyone needs firewood...

Comment

Originally posted by Kipper
          Have you ever read 'The Wind from Nowhere' by JG Ballard? It could turn out to be quite prophetic in some respects.
          I started reading TWFN a couple of years ago, but didn't progress very far at the time. Interestingly, Ballard seems to down play this as his 'first' novel these days, preferring to start with The Drowned World instead. Not sure why.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
            Alex Trebek is one of my ma's cousins from Sudbury.
            I worked as a runner (go-fer) on a couple of shows, one an abortion attempting to combine talk shows and sales called ValueTelevision or VTV. Alex hosted with Meredith MacRae. Nice folks, but I do believe I have seen Alex in his skivvies more often than his family. We'd have to go ask the talent what they wanted for lunch. Alex never wanted some lunch, but he'd always answer his dressing room door, ine time out of ten mid-wardrobe-change. May be why he 86'ed me from Jeopardy! - didn't want me "sharing" yon story. (Joke, he probably doesn't remember me.)

Long before Bluetooth, he would walk around reciting and practicing his lines with the thousand-yard stare. First week or two, he'd do this while looking right at me, and I'd politely respond - which broke his concentration (there's a pun) and made him grumpy. Nice guy to work with though. (Meredith was a delight.)
            Miqque
            ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

JGB used to claim that his wife had written it...
              It's just a very bad book and I don't blame him for downplaying it. I don't offer Caribbean Conflict as my first book, either, though technically it is... Equally, Salman Rushdie doesn't go on much about Grimus...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Miqque Posted:
                I worked as a runner (go-fer) on a couple of shows, one an abortion attempting to combine talk shows and sales called ValueTelevision or VTV. Alex hosted with Meredith MacRae.
                Most people associate show-biz with big bucks. I am inclined to think on the contrary, that wages for a job such as you describe aren't very high. I also would assume that there is so much cash being funnelled towards the big stars (Richard Dawson) ...that there is little left for the pee-ons that actually make the whole process viable.
                Correct me if I'm wrong Miqque.

Comment

We've been chipping ice off of material all day, every day since monday. It is quite monotonous with no foreseeable warming trend on the horizon.
                  It is -20C with the wind here today and I'm off to go work in it...yippeee .

Comment

An article on Spiegel-Online International with several incredible pictures shows quite well what forces were unleashed on Thursday ...
                    Google ergo sum

Comment

Most people associate show-biz with big bucks. I am inclined to think on the contrary, that wages for a job such as you describe aren't very high. I also would assume that there is so much cash being funnelled towards the big stars (Richard Dawson) ...that there is little left for the pee-ons that actually make the whole process viable.
                      Correct me if I'm wrong Miqque.
                      $50 a day plus providing your own insured vehicle is dirt; and that was the pay at the time. I don't think it's much higher now. Stage and office rentals were the highest costs, with salaries next. Basically, there was more money in the budget for snacks than there was for runners ("production assistants"). Many use such jobs as a way to get involved in the industry and make the personal contacts needed for advancement. (I did manage six weeks as assistant to the producer - note the subtle change in job title - pulling down a $2K/a week salary.) My boss, the production coordinator (who works under the production manager, under the assistant producer, under the producer, under the executive producer) did advance nicely to being producer or assistant producer - which pays nicely if one can put up with the pressures.

The most controversial issue was that instead of Guild writers, many productions have shifted to "segment producers" who do everything from engaging the talent to reserving rooms for them and writing the dialogue. This is SOP for talk and newsy shows - anything other than drama or comedy. Luckily, most prime-time work still bases itself on the script; but even then co-writing credits (and accompanied salary-sharing) often go to director or even actors who contribute significanly to said script. Writers are considered only a necessary evil to studio execs, and they would like to eliminate those costs and just let the production create itself if they could.

Entry-level jobs are really more on-the-job training than a career. One takes these low-level jobs to get rid of them, and take a higher-level - and better paying - position.

Rather than a runner, if I were starting I'd get a job as a secretary, and not do that good a job. I'd make contacts ad get myself known, but not provide such skill as to not want to be replaced. And that's pretty much what one has to do. Perform a job well enough to meet expectations, get the job done and shine every once in a while; but not do it so well that the powers-that-be find one irreplaceable. The trick is to keep moving upward until you get in the position you wanted in the first place.

But don't expect to make money on the road to that job. Expect Raman noodles and working 16-hour days. Expect no social life or perks whatsoever. Rewards on this road are free lunches and a few people treating you kindly (and not like a piece of furniture, which is typical).

It can be a lot of fun, but it is truly the route to be taken by the young and energetic. We old farts just cotinue to pound words out of a keyboard with the everlasting hope someone will purchase those words.
                      Miqque
                      ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

The Fhoi Myore passed through here again last night dropping the temperatures to -35C. Is anyone else experiencing this deep freeze?

Comment

It was savagely cold in NYC today. The last time I felt cold like that was on the Norwich coast out by the big offshore wind farm they have there now - made your teeth ache!
                          Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

The Fhoi Myore passed through here again last night dropping the temperatures to -35C. Is anyone else experiencing this deep freeze?
                            It's not that I've engaged 'gloating' mode here VG & DC, but the temperature in Liverpool, UK has just plunged (well - dropped slightly)to -1C. We've had our first scattering of light snow overnight.
                            It's just not good enough! I was promised Global Warming! I've had to put my thick jacket on!
                            Stay warm you guys 'n gals.
                            He's well smoked

Comment

Or an Ice Schooner.
                              Everyone is wearing full winter face coverings and goggles here so that only their nasal apparatus is portruding.
                              We look like armies of Ghoolegh's.....
                              And all I can hear playing inside my head is Choose Your Masque's.

Way To Go Mike!

Comment

Working...
                              X