Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Who the baloney is Eragon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who the baloney is Eragon?

?8|
    \'You know my destiny?\' said Elric eagerly. \'Tell me what it is, Niun Who Knew All.\'
    Niun opened his mouth as if to speak but then firmly shut it again. \'No,\' he said. \'I have forgotten.\'

I noticed that the actor playing the main character bears more than a passing resemblance to the author.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

An idiot movie by an idiot book
      Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Not that I've bothered trying to find out much more about the book/film but isn't Eragon very similar sounding to Aragon and isn't that dragon-like mark/brand in the middle of that chaps hand very similar to lead characters in the love it/hate it Wheel of Time series?

Comment

Well, I'm willing to give a guy some slack because he was fifteen when he wrote it. That doesnt mean I like it, just that it really is pretty good writing for a little kid. On the other hand if he ever had it in him to be a good writer, the chance is probably spoiled now. It reminds me of those musos who are banked by their dads, do some tours, have some airplay and maybe a small MTV hit, and then proceed to become Dentists With Tatoos or A&R guys.

Comment

I've actually enjoyed the books. Though, I have been accused of being simple minded and having the reading comprehension of a 2nd grader....

Comment

What's wrong with being a dentist with tattoos?
              Know what you mean, though. Like that L'il Chris or whatever the mutant calls himself (>shudders internally and with feeling<).
              Eragon - hmmm...is the next book going to be Vnicorn? Lraken? Xyvern?
              I'm not one to pre-judge, but I suspect this cinematic outing might be as perfidious as a pretty pongy pile of puppy poos.

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
                I'm not one to pre-judge, but I suspect this cinematic outing might be as perfidious as a pretty pongy pile of puppy poos.
                Apparently, Eragon's elves don't have pointy ears! Well, I ask you: if they can't even get that level of historical accuracy right, how good can the rest of it be?

_"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix

I dont know why, but nobody can seem to make a good fantasy movie. I liked Dragonslayer for a pretty mindless piece of fluff, it's Disney, but it's done really well.

Comment

From the trailer even the cinematography looks suspiciously similar to LOTR - something the Narnia movie was very guilty of...

Not content with the author pillaging LOTR's story and combining it with Star Wars, the film-makers are even copying the look of the movies...

Derivative doesn't really cover it does it?
                    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I haven't read more than a few pages, but I wonder if it's honestly derivative, or cynically derived. I mean, did a fifteen year old kid sit down and cynically say "I can bank bigguns if I combine SW and LOTR" or did he just honestly combine them because he thinks they're the best thing around.

Comment

Most likely he has saturated himself with so much genre fantasy that it is all he is able to write. So its probably "honestly derivative" in that he conjured the story up from bit and pieces of things he had seen and read from a narrow range of genre specific sources.

I met Paolini last year - and he seemed to honestly believe that he had come up with something profound and original. Success at a young age has developed a big ego - at least enough of an ego for him to compare himself to both Seamus Heaney and Tolkien "at his best".

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                          I met Paolini last year - and he seemed to honestly believe that he had come up with something profound and original. Success at a young age has developed a big ego - at least enough of an ego for him to compare himself to both Seamus Heaney and Tolkien "at his best".
                          Perhaps he means Heaney's fanstasy writings and Tolkien's poetry.

I've not read any Paolini and, given what people say about him here, I'm not likely to read him any time soon. However, I would be interested to hear why people think he got published at all. Is it really simply because he was so young when he wrote it?

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay
                            I've not read any Paolini and, given what people say about him here, I'm not likely to read him any time soon. However, I would be interested to hear why people think he got published at all. Is it really simply because he was so young when he wrote it?
                            Whatever the reason, the fact that his father is a book publisher and his mother a professional editor has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it. Nosiree! Nada. Zilch. etc.
                            Last edited by David Mosley; 12-15-2006, 03:41 AM.
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                              Whatever the reason, the fact that his father is a book publisher and his mother a professional editor has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it. Nosiree! Nada. Zilch. etc.
                              I haven't read it, so can't comment on the writing, but I can't believe that a 15 year old could write a bestseller without massive support. I wonder if there are ghost writing cousins and an aunt who owns a paper mill in his extended family?
                              devilchickens' note about the kids' ego is sad to read.
                              What is also sad, to me, is the thought that a 15 year old has had so much time in a world of fantasy, that he's able to create his own world etc., and in such a complete way that he feels he can compare it to JRRT et al. Maybe his parents were VERY busy with their respective literary endeavours?
                              Can I also remind you, David, of a note you added to a recent post in another thread - regarding Jeremy Irons previous fantasy performance in (I think,) Dungeons & Dragons, the movie! I wonder how this one will turn out?
                              He's well smoked

Comment

Working...
                              X