Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Image gallery -- help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image gallery -- help!

To whom it may concern...

Dear Whom,

Mike has asked me to take a look at a recent addition to the image gallery; something from an old issue of 'Amra' discussing the then-ongoing Elric stories.

Unfortunately, I'm way too dim and website-ignorant to be able to negotiate my way around and find it.

Can you point me towards it, please?

Thanx & best,

John.

Hi John,

Does Mike mean the 'Putting a Tag On It' article, which is here?

(Click on images to see larger versions)

That's: Image Hive > Covers & Pages > Magazines > AMRA

I think that's the only AMRA article we have in the Image Hive.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by David Mosley; 11-30-2006, 02:16 AM.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Dear David,

It sounds very likely that that's the one I'm after. I'll double-check it, of course, with Mike.

Thanx loads!

John.

Comment

Dear all,

Does anyone know who edited 'Amra', and in particular Vol. 2, No. 15, dated May 1961 (linked by David above)?

It seems to have myriad "editors" and "committee"s, but was there one overall editor for it?

Thanx & best,

John.

Comment

According to Wikipedia - which probably only rivals The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for accuracy and reliability - Amra was the brainchild of George H. Scithers.

George H. Scithers (born May 14, 1929) is a science fiction author and editor.

Scithers began publishing fiction in 1969 with the story "Faithful Messenger," which appeared in If. His involvement in the field, however, dates back to 1959 when he began to publish the Hugo Award-winning fanzine Amra. Several of the articles originally published in Amra were later collected in two volumes which Scithers co-edited with L. Sprague de Camp. In 1973, Scithers founded Owlswick Press, a small independent publishing company.

In 1977, Scithers was named the first editor for Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. He remained in that position until 1982 and won two more Hugo Awards for his work there. After leaving IASFM, Scithers took the helm at Amazing Stories, and edited that magazine until 1986. Leaving Amazing, he worked with John Gregory Betancourt and Darrell Schweitzer to reestablish Weird Tales and now works on that magazine full time with them.

He is also very fond of owls and trains. He currently resides in Rockville MD.
          See also:

Let us consider George Scithers as a fan. He has been active in fandom since the '50s. George is one of the earliest members of the Hyborian Legion, an association devoted to the perpetuation and admiration of Robert E. Howard, Conan, and all things swordly and sorcerous. But for a single sheet announcing the formation of the Legion, George was the publisher of all issues (from Vol 11, No. 1 to Vol 11, No. 71, 1959-1982) of the Legion's journal Amra, for which he won two Best Fanzine Hugos (1964, 1967).

Amra was, for the time, a truly incredible publication. Long before the days of desktop publishing, in an era of mimeograph, ditto, and manual typewriters, Amra was neatly printed by offset lithography, with beautiful, often very subtle reproductions of the artwork of the great illustrator Roy G. Krenkel. The written content was impressive too, the contributors including Poul Anderson, Jerry Pournelle, Fritz Leiber, L. Sprague de Camp, Leigh Brackett, Marion Zimmer Bradley, and several times (albeit posthumously) Robert E. Howard himself. Several books have been compiled out of Amra material, the best of them being the three from Jack Chalker's Mirage Press, The Conan Reader, The Conan Swordbook, and The Conan Grimoire, which also reproduce much of Amra's sumptuous artwork.

About George H. Scithers: Four Hugos, His Innate Wickedness, Woof, and All That by Darrell Schweitzer
          PS. The FictionMags Index also cites Amra (vol. II) as "ed. George H. Scithers"
          Last edited by David Mosley; 12-07-2006, 02:17 AM.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I knew George. Very nice guy. Also interested in railroad timetables. I was impressed by his knowing when the next tube would be in to Lancaster Gate, for instance. I'd forgotten much of my connection with Amra and it's good to see early work to help me get my bearings. I must have written that at the same time as I was writing the early Elric stories.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
            X