Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Permission Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permission Needed

Hi, hopefully this is an appropriate place for this question. I'm writing a supplement for Chaosium games, more of a new game based on the concept of the Multiverse, and I need to know if I need express permission from Mr. Moorcock to use a qoute or two from his books, as well as character names and descriptions for the game. I assume I will need permission, but since this isn't exactly a business proposition, contacting an agent seemed a bit daft. Mr. Moorcock, I assume you are familiar with the company, it produces the roleplaying game Stormbringer, and Hawkmoon, as well as distributing Corum, all based on your work. I hesitate to go into more detail on a public forum about the nature of this game, or other details. If I need to go through your agent for this discussion, please let me know.

And the shit hit the fan ......

MMM expressed himself on his relationship with Chaosium .....

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan Kane
      And the shit hit the fan ......

MMM expressed himself on his relationship with Chaosium .....
      Indeed, very dicey - considering that any sort of permission regarding developments to Chaosium's products would likely complicate the already messy copyright issues.
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Past discussions on Multiversal rpg.

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=959

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=4111

Comment

wow, I had no idea it was like that. I had (wrongfully) assumed that Chaosium had some sort of deal with Moorcock. perhaps I should seek out other publishers huh. I'll still use their game mechanics of course, seems they have no respect for others in that regard.
          Obviously the fact that I asked here shows that I intend to honor normal copyright agreements, and if it comes down to it, I won't use the material for any purpose other than my own games.
          Sorry to have opened up a can o' worms.
          Last edited by Digger; 11-26-2006, 08:49 PM.

Comment

No evil intended, no evil done !

smile ... and welcome here ... Now MM is very liberal with people behaving !

Comment

Originally posted by Digger
              wow, I had no idea it was like that. I had (wrongfully) assumed that Chaosium had some sort of deal with Moorcock.
              Of course, Chaosium would argue that they do have "some sort of deal" with Mike, it's just that Mike would argue that Chaosium haven't kept their side of the deal.

AIUI, Chaosium have sub-licenced their RuneQuest mechanics to Mongoose Games, who are supposed to be releasing a new
              Hawkmoon RPG in February 2007 (according to Amazon). There's a thread on this development here. Mike is aware of this new game and has said he'll annouce more news as and when he's cleared to release it.

perhaps I should seek out other publishers huh. I'll still use their game mechanics of course, seems they have no respect for others in that regard.
              Mongoose seem to be positioning themselves to handle any RPGs based on Mike's books - with the exception of Elric, which Chaosium are keen to hold to themselves (for obvious reasons) even if they're not actually doing anything with the property at the moment.

Can I ask: when you say, "I'm writing a supplement for Chaosium games" is that meant in an official capacity (ie Chaosium have hired/asked you to write the supplement) or are you working on a more unofficial level; either writing it as informal, freelance, 'on spec' submission or as a private supplement for your own personal game playing use?

Your first post gave me the impression that this might be an official publication from Chaosium themselves, whereas the later post seems to imply you're working in a more 'independent' capacity.

Obviously the fact that I asked here shows that I intend to honor normal copyright agreements, and if it comes down to it, I won't use the material for any purpose other than my own games.
              Sorry to have opened up a can o' worms.
              If you're at all interested, some other readers here are discussed developing an 'unofficial' GURPS-style 'Eternal Champion' RPG. You can find a thread on it here. Please feel free to make any contributions or post any suggestions there as you want to.
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

To answer your question David, originally it was just for my own games, I had moved to a new area, and found myself without a group to game with, so I worked on some things I had been meaning to do, but with running weekly games couldn't. After a while the mini project mutated into several new rules, and tweaks that I was going to submit to the Chaosium newsletter, so other GM's could use it. As I got more material written it seemed clear that it would just make more sense to submit it as a monograph. So essentially I'm writing it with submission as the intent, though the only reason I wanted to submit it to Chaosium was for the ease of it, as it's intended to supplement the core games (even Call of Cthulu). I really don't care if I make any money from it, it's more of a labor of love for fans of Mike's books that play roleplaying games, particularly those who already know the Chaosium mechanics. Going through another publisher will be tricky, due to the licensing, though it seems that Mongoose may be a decent bet, eh? I haven't actually gamed in years, and the only system that I know inside and out is the Chaosium system, I'm comfortable with the mechanics and how they work, so designing new rules comes easy for me. I have no intention of learning another system, so if this falls through, perhaps I'll just give my game ideas away to the folks in the thread you mentioned. Knowing now, about the issues between MM, and Chaosium, this will likely never see print; I have no wish to bring my favorite author more grief. Hope this answers your questions, sorry to be so long winded, it's just my nature.

Comment

Digger, thanks for the explanation. I can't speak for Mike of course - hopefully Mike will answer himself when he gets back from his travels - but while Mike has issues with Chaosium, I don't think he's ever had issues with the people who play the games themselves. Wanting to do something for personal, non-profit purposes is quite different from trying to make money off the back of his work, so it's probably worth 'bumping' this thread when Mike's next online.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

People have told me that they, too, have had problems with Chaosium regarding payments and so forth, so you could sell it to them, I'd guess and have precious little chance of seeing whatever money you were promised, assuming you were promised any...But of course in this case, submitting tweaks and so forth to existing rules by a player is certainly doing me no further harm, as it were and I remain torn between not wishing to spoil the pleasure of people who enjoy playing the Chaosium game (s) and just bringing a stop to the whole thing for a while. Meanwhile, however, pard, make your tweaks and go in grace.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Now that's generosity.
                      Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                        AIUI, Chaosium have sub-licenced their RuneQuest mechanics to Mongoose Games, who are supposed to be releasing a new
                        Hawkmoon RPG in February 2007 (according to Amazon). There's a thread on this development here. Mike is aware of this new game and has said he'll annouce more news as and when he's cleared to release it.

Mongoose seem to be positioning themselves to handle any RPGs based on Mike's books - with the exception of Elric, which Chaosium are keen to hold to themselves (for obvious reasons) even if they're not actually doing anything with the property at the moment.
                        Just a few points of clarification -

Chaosium did not sub-license the RuneQuest mechanics to Mongoose. Game
                        mechanics are not copyrightable - only the exact or very closely derived verbage
                        is. The game RuneQuest is what Mongoose has license to now, and the license
                        was granted by the current holder Greg Stafford. This gets a bit confusing, but
                        Chaosium gave up the RuneQuest rights years ago to Avalon Hill, who in turn
                        was bought out by Hasbro (who now owns Wizards of the Coast and D&D).
                        Hasbro let the trademark go, and Greg Stafford picked it back up (Greg was
                        the original holder of the trademark, and was also the original head of Chaosium).
                        Greg, in turn, cut a deal with Mongoose. Mongoose got the BRP (Chaosium's
                        current house system) based RuneQuest game, while Issaries got the HeroQuest
                        game, and Greg retains all of the Glorantha rights (the world used as the basis
                        for both RuneQuest and HeroQuest).

Chaosium, Mongoose and Mike are supposedly working on a deal that will allow
                        Mongoose to write/publish Eternal Champion based sourcebooks for the RuneQuest
                        system (so far, Elric, Hawkmoon and Corum are hinted at, but there has been
                        no formal announcements made, nor has Mongoose even stated that the deal
                        is complete - in actuality, Matt Sprange has said the deal has yet to be
                        completed).

Ian
                        Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to
                        go to hell so that they will look forward to
                        making the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian
                          Just a few points of clarification -
                          Thanks for clarifying that, Ian. That's what happens when a layman attempts to summarise an already complex situation. Sorry if I confused or misled anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                            People have told me that they, too, have had problems with Chaosium regarding payments and so forth, so you could sell it to them, I'd guess and have precious little chance of seeing whatever money you were promised, assuming you were promised any...But of course in this case, submitting tweaks and so forth to existing rules by a player is certainly doing me no further harm, as it were and I remain torn between not wishing to spoil the pleasure of people who enjoy playing the Chaosium game (s) and just bringing a stop to the whole thing for a while. Meanwhile, however, pard, make your tweaks and go in grace.
                            Yep - last I heard, Lawrence Whitaker still has not been paid for his Hawkmoon
                            monograph.

I do hope everything gets resolved soon, and I am curious to see what Mongoose
                            has in store. But I have some trepidation - Mongoose has had issues with some
                            of its better contributors and the quality has been hit or miss. I hope the
                            writers they have lined up have some good ideas.

Otherwise, I would still like a crack at it - my notes are growing on mods to
                            the Chaosium BRP system, as well as corrections/additions to the background
                            material to keep it more in line with the tales. Goldar really must go ;)

Ian
                            making the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                              Thanks for clarifying that, Ian. That's what happens when a layman attempts to summarise an already complex situation. Sorry if I confused or misled anyone.
                              No problem. You're welcome. The situation is indeed very complex and muddy
                              - sometimes I wonder how I keep things straight (and sometimes, I need to be
                              corrected as well). I guess getting to see all sides of the issues helps, but
                              some days I get a headache from all the info !! It's hard having friends on the
                              three sides and trying to keep in the middle. Between Mike, some contributors
                              to the game line, and the players, I often feel torn about how to proceed.

Ian
                              making the trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X