Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Elusive 7"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elusive 7"

Concerning a Brothel In Rosenstrasse!
    Any copies to be found?
    Last edited by greengryphon; 08-08-2007, 09:19 AM.

Can't say I've seen the 7", but the "Brothel..." track is on some versions of the "New Worlds Fair" CD. Very good it is too. What is the B-side on the 7"?

The same (or very similar) backing tune is one of the tracks on the Pete Pavli/Robert Calvert "Revenge" CD. I can't remember what words Bob put to it.

Comment

Another very clear version of BIR is on the Hawkwind Friends And Relations The Rarities cd. If you can't find New World's Fair at present, this cd has it's money's worth of nostalgia on it including Starcruiser.
      If you want to view the cd, go into the image hive....
      Click on the Hawkwind Choose Your Masques image at the bottom...
      On the second page click on the Hawkwind Choose Your Masques image a second time...
      On the next page go to the bottom and click on page 6....
      At the top right of page 6 you will see the aforementioned cd, click on it...
      When you have arrived at the full size image of the cd click on show full for a complete track listing. This cd has excellent sound quality and volume clarity.
      It is well worth the $25.00 I invested into it.

Comment

Dear all,

The 'Brothel In Rosenstrasse' 7" single was backed with an instrumental called 'Time Centre', that's sometimes mistitled 'At The Time Centre' (which is in fact an entirely different track from the unfinished 'Entropy Tango' sessions).

'Time Centre' can also be found on some Hawkwind-related compilations, although I've not got a note to hand of which ones.

Either way, I doubt you'd get a great deal of change out of £50 ($95) for a copy of the single these days.

Best,

John.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDavey
          'Time Centre' can also be found on some Hawkwind-related compilations, although I've not got a note to hand of which ones.
          It is on the original (and best) Hawkwind Friends and Relations on Flicknife, along with 'Good Girl/Bad Girl' which is an excellent track.

I don't know whether this album was ever released on CD.

Comment

CanFloCow, JohnD. and JohnE.:

Same drill;
            Go to the image hive..
            At top centre click on the Hawkwind Choose Your Masques image at top dead center...
            On the next page click on the Hawkwind Choose Your Masques image at bottom dead center...
            You are now in the Hawkwind/Rock&Roll/Hive...
            Go to the bottom of the page and click on page 5....
            On page 5 at top center click on the cd entitled Hawkwind The Best Of Friends And Relations 1993...
            Click on the cd to open the file...
            By clicking on Show Full below the image you will see that Time Center & Dodgem Dudes are both on this compilation which came in vinyl and cd format.
            If you go back to page five and click on Hawkwind Friends And Relations 1982 at the bottom right of the page you will find the tracks Good Girl Bad Girl & Time Center are both on this vinyl lp. (It was'nt released in cd format.)

Comment

amazon.com has connects to sellers of used books, and they have several available. They will also ship new copies in 4-6 weeks.

http://www.amazon.com/Brothel-Rosens...e=UTF8&s=books
              Miqque
              ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

I'm pretty sure Herr F. intends to make 'New World's Fair' available for download again, (which has 'BiR' on it) it's just another thing on his 'to do' list. I also know that when he does 'Time Centre' should be available to download too, because I uploaded it via FTP.

I got 'Time Centre' from 'Space Box: 1970 & Beyond - Space, Krautrock & Acid Trips' which has a few other Hawkwind and related tracks. It's just about as far out there as it sounds, too.
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Hate to sound smug, but here I am looking at my 7" vinyl of 'Rosenstrasse', bought at the time of release. The limited edition number could either be 153 or 253 - it's a rather ornate first digit. Lyric insert signed by Mike (in what appears to be red fountain pen). There's also a letter to me (at my Ladbroke Road address, just round the corner from the Grove, even!) from Gina Nares at Flicknife which came with it, dated April 5th 1982. I asked at the time - along with many others - whether Flicknife might ever be in a position to acquire and re-release 'New World's Fair', which they weren't - I had to wait for the CD to be invented to get my copy of that!

Sorely tempted to auction this for charity - and it's also about time someone else enjoyed this memento. Advice, anyone?

Wonder what became of Ms Nares?

Comment

The copy of Brothel In Rosenstrasse on the Hawkwind Friends And Relations The Rarities cd is remastered and very clear. If I turn my stereo's volume up the bass vibrates the house so much that it makes the cd skip. I know that this cd is still available and relatively cheap. Obtaining Hawkwind compilations was the only way that I could get copies of MM&DF until I found the NWF box set 5 years ago. I have over 60 HW lp's that are in mint condition but I prefer the sound of cd's. I've recently noticed a device which connects your turntable directy to your pc tower and allows the downloading of vinyl albums into your music files. I don't know how effective the process is but it would allow the music to be burnt onto cd and immortalize the sound quality.
                    Wishful Thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
                      I've recently noticed a device which connects your turntable directy to your pc tower and allows the downloading of vinyl albums into your music files. I don't know how effective the process is but it would allow the music to be burnt onto cd and immortalize the sound quality.
                      Wishful Thinking?
                      I don't think it is, v. I'm pretty sure they plug into your pc with a built in pre-amp. From there it's a short step to copying and encoding them into whatever audio file takes your fancy. You can also get software that reduces the surface noises, etc, pretty satisfactorily, I believe.

I have seen some vinyl albums offered as downloads on various 'blogs, so the technology is definitely available.
                      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
                        I don't think it is, v. I'm pretty sure they plug into your pc with a built in pre-amp. From there it's a short step to copying and encoding them into whatever audio file takes your fancy. You can also get software that reduces the surface noises, etc, pretty satisfactorily, I believe.

I have seen some vinyl albums offered as downloads on various 'blogs, so the technology is definitely available.
                        My dad just picked up one of these and I've heard the results. It's good quality stuff. The unit also has a line-in so that you can so the same for cassettes, for example.
                        The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

Originally posted by Zax
                          Hate to sound smug, but here I am looking at my 7" vinyl of 'Rosenstrasse', bought at the time of release. The limited edition number could either be 153 or 253 - it's a rather ornate first digit. Lyric insert signed by Mike (in what appears to be red fountain pen). There's also a letter to me (at my Ladbroke Road address, just round the corner from the Grove, even!) from Gina Nares at Flicknife which came with it, dated April 5th 1982. I asked at the time - along with many others - whether Flicknife might ever be in a position to acquire and re-release 'New World's Fair', which they weren't - I had to wait for the CD to be invented to get my copy of that!

Sorely tempted to auction this for charity - and it's also about time someone else enjoyed this memento. Advice, anyone?

Wonder what became of Ms Nares?
                          You have a great item there, Zax, and an even better set of stories to go along with it.

If you are serious about auctioning it for charity, Mike and Linda make no secret of supporting Womankind Worldwide.

Comment

I am by no means involved in advertising, but this item deserves to be shared with the other members of this site. I inquired about vinyl lp downloads into my computer at F...re S..p yesterday and came up with this option.

http://www.gadgetell.com/2006/10/gad...-audio-device/

I think I'll try it out in order to transfer my Hawkwind lp's onto cd's and I'll also be able to e-mail the music files to friends.
                            The cost is user friendly.

Comment

Working...
                            X