Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

How accurate is IMDB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How accurate is IMDB?

Hello,

It's been awhile since I looked to see what was written on the Internet Movie Data Base about MM,then I looked today and saw some thing that I don't remember being on there.

Does anyone know how accurate the site is?

I know some things are probably out of date.....

plus it looks like anyone can write something on the page. (shrug)

I just thought I would point it out.

I took this quote from the page,in case you did not see it before:

IMDB wrote:

Biography for
    Michael Moorcock

Birth name
    Michael John Moorcock
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mini biography
    Michael Moorcock is astounding. His enormous production contains over 50 novels, countless short stories and a rock album. He was born in London 1939, became an editor for Tarzan Adventures when he was 16 years old and than continue as an editor for Sexton Blake Library. He has since than worked constantly as a writer/editor, and is without doubt one of UK's most popular and productive writers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMDb mini-biography by
    latsblaster

Spouse
    Linda Steele (1983 - present)
    Jill Riches (1978 - ?) (divorced)
    Hilary Bailey (1962 - 1978 ) (divorced) 3 children

Trivia
    Songwriter and member of various rock bands, including Greenhorns, The Hawkwind, Blue ضyster Cult, and Deep Fix.

Prolific science fiction and fantasy author who has won the British Science Fiction Association Award (1966), the Nebula Award (1967), the Derleth Award (1972, 1974, 1975, 1976), the Guardian Fiction Prize (1977), the Campbell Memorial Award (1979), and the World Fantasy Award (1979).

Has published fiction under the pseudonyms Bill Barclay, Edward P. Bradbury, James Colvin, and Desmond Reid.

In 1971, Wendy Pini (of Elfquest fame) was working on an animated version of Moorcock's popular "Stormbringer" novels. Work stopped in 1973 after Pini decided the project was overwhelming her. Moorcock showed limited ethusiasm when shown preliminary work in 1976, and the animation has not been returned to since. Artwork and a rough plot description are available in Law And Chaos, now out of print.

Became editor of New Worlds magazine in 1964, which would be known for the New Wave of science fiction.

Personal quotes
    "Arthuriana has become a genre in itself, more like TV soap opera where people think they know the characters. All that's fair enough, but it does remove the mythic power of the feminine and masculine principles. So I prefer it in its original form, even if you have to wade through Mallory's 'Le Morte d'Arthur' -- people smashing people for pages and pages! It still has the resonances of myth about it, which makes it work for me. I don't want to know if Mordred led an unhappy childhood or not."

"Though I don't have any serious argument with Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods', I believe that Americans cease to be Europeans -- the land makes them become Americans. You see it happening all the time when you travel around America."

"That John Boorman movie Hope and Glory (1987) is actually very similar to my own life. You grow up in ruins. You grow up in a very malleable landscape that was constantly changing. Something would be gone, but at the same time that opened up vistas of new landscape, so you were constantly getting these very peculiar changes of environment. The Chaos stuff in 'Stormbringer' is very much the way it felt, but it didn't feel weird because it's all you knew."

Where are they now
    (March 2003) Living with his wife in Austin, Texas, and Majorca, Spain.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0600841/bio
    Thanks!

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Hi, Lem!

It seems so that anybody can enter "details" about his or her "achievements" or participation without any official control. Of course, if you find somebody on the staff list or cast of your film who positively DID NOT participate you can kick him out.

Moreover the information needs to be updated permanently. So a person not showing up is not automatically a liar if he/she claims to be "in movies". The value for a director or actor is not very great anyway, I would suspect. Nobody is going to cast you away from the Internet Movie Data Base or offer you a new script. There are agents and agencies or personal contacts for this. As a source of reference - which is incomplete - it is quite nice. If you suddenly don't remember who played Johnny Depp in Pirates, or errr was it who played "Jack Sparrow"?
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Don't know the site. The emphases and inaccuracies aren't enough to worry about. You get used to it. If you responded to every biography put out there about you, you'd spend your time doing little else! I'm sure the site's useful, E', but I'm so bad at remembering proper names I'd probably, again, never be off it if I tried to track down everything I forget. I have a tendency to get the initial wrong, for a start, frequently confusing C and G and often being even wider of the mark than that. Linda is forever baffled by my saying 'You know -- begins with K...' and it turns out to begin with W or whatever. Imagine how much time I'd be spending! I can't even remember the names of the movies, let alone the actors.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

IMDB isn't quite a free-for-all. Any information submitted has to be approved before it appears on the site, although I'm not sure who does the approving. I tried submitting info on a couple of occasions and had them rejected for some reason, can't remember why now.
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I'm a semi-regular contributor to IMDb, and find they do perform double-checks as often as they can. They tend to be a bit weak on massive entries to very popular films, but quite good on obscure pieces, especially if details are provided by a member of the production. Contributors are often "weighted" by the accuracy of contributions. Mine is quite good; I have never had an entry rejected and have recently seen posts put up almost immediately. (With great power comes great responsibility, yada yada.)

They REALLY REALLY like biographical information direct from the person, especially if they are in multiple functions in film or television, like writer/producer/performer. (HINT HINT, Mike!)

If interested, I'm under "Miqque" (as usual) and my website is http://miqque.50megs.com/awhats_new.html (goes to the News Room). Finding IMDb is easy, http://www.imdb.com . I do recommend signing up. It's free, and the "My Movies" feature is mighty handy for storing shortcuts to films and other entries. The feature of films in production (or even pre- or pre-pre-production) is now locked into IMDbPro, which is a paid subscription service. I don't do money. (Not having any puts a kink in such things.)

Basically, it's one of the "necessary" websites for pros, and a great resource for those who need to look up something. If you only remember part of a title or one character's name or who played what role, it's tons better than .

Highly recommended.
          Miqque
          ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Hey Miqque, just saw your page and your mention of X3.
            I was lucky enough to get my face in there in a few places!
            Quite an experience being involved in that enormous production.

Last edited by Tales from Tanelorn; 07-12-2007, 11:43 AM.

Comment

What a stunningly clear photo!

I haven't had a chance to see X3 yet (intend to buy the DVD, actually, as next purchase). I've long corresponded with Ian McKellen (since he was first cast in Lord of the Unmentionable on Mike's Website. Did you happen across him at any point? Nice fellow.

MotW has been stagnant for quite a while, as I've been incredibly busy for someone who technically has nothing to do. But all the old info is there, and the ability to revive it at pretty much any point. The website is like a comfy old pair of shoes that I can have resoled and it's brand new.

Kepp rockin'!
              Miqque
              ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Unfortunately, didnt meet Gandalf Greyhame and not sure what I could have talked about if I did.
                Probably would have asked if he had any Ol Toby or have you met any nice Balrogs recently!
                I think it must feel good to have scored one of the best fantasy parts ever written, and done such a good job.
                I enjoyed one of his other movies recently, Emile.

Hugh Jackman made some funny comment after splitting his pants but again I couldnt muster up a reply, freezing to death at 3am in mid november.
                Actually we were ordered not to talk to the principles - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it lol.
                Last edited by Tales from Tanelorn; 11-13-2006, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Can't remember the UK chat show Sir Gandalf was on, but they got him to say MORRRDORRRRR very fruitily. Probably J. Ross. He is a superb stage actor. He deserves all his success, but I'd still rather see him as Iago in Othello on stage at the Young Vic. Very small stage, audience very close and yet he had the ability to transport you completely -- and make you wonder, just wonder, if this time the story was going to turn out differently. That's how I define the best kind of Shakespearian actor.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                  The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                  The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Thanks,everyone!

Yep,Ian McKellen is really cool! He even made "The Keep" become a cult favourite. :)

I see,what you mean,Mike. Good point. :D

I am just waiting for them to type in "Elric" under your Filmography,hehe!

Cheers!

-Joe

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Oh! yes! That would be cool beyond belief!

I have already been imagining what the film would look like as I sit in the theater,the acting,the images,the sounds!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Marca
                        IMDB isn't quite a free-for-all. Any information submitted has to be approved before it appears on the site, although I'm not sure who does the approving. I tried submitting info on a couple of occasions and had them rejected for some reason, can't remember why now.
                        Ah yes! YOU ARE RIGHT! And so is Miqque. I am sorry. I had somehow remembered it wrong. It is the very complicated submitting process that discourages you to enter minor entries or smaller corrections. They do seem to verify stuff, but are sometimes a bit misled by information on foreign language productions. I doubt they can (or will) verify it if somebody claims to have been a second unit person on a medium sized production.
                        And it takes long! I just checked entries on my personal and found a biographical note that was poorly written and in amateurish English by a small time critic (wasn't even unfavourable, only awkward). I hope I've managed to replace it with my own version. Let's see if they'll have checked it in a couple of weeks.
                        Anyhow, the submitting process is complicated. I also wonder if the preferences of the users aren't stored and at some point passed to companies like Amazon or video sellers who make you special ooffers according to your "tastes" ...
                        Has anybody here been getting such offeres that fit the profile you've left for instance in "My Movies"? Would be interesting to know.

I also revise my opinion on the usefullness of the data base. Yes, it probably is a good quick reference tool. But I still do not think that actors, D.o.Ps or directors get their next jobs because they were looked up on imbd.
                        Google ergo sum

Comment

Just finished watching the extended Lord of the Rings Trilogy dvds.
                          Really enjoyed them, all the more so during the dark cold winter months that we have up here.

Still no Tom Bombadil though! Bombadil is important to the story, Tolkien himself said so,
                          and that was why Bombadil was included in the book in the first place.

Here's a page I found, everything you might ever like to know about Gandalf Greyhame:

http://www.tuckborough.net/gandalf.html

Once again I saw the White Tower of Ecthelion center of
                          the magnificent city of of Merthyr Tydfil light the Brecon Beacons
                          to summon aid from the riders of Rohan.

I wish that John R. R. Tolkein could have seen these movies, I am sure he would be pleased.

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/frame.asp

Poor Gollum...
                          Last edited by Tales from Tanelorn; 11-12-2006, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tales from Tanelorn
                            Still no Tom Bombadil though! Bombadil is important to the story, Tolkien himself said so,
                            and that was why Bombadil was included in the book in the first place.

It's just an easy cut to make going from the book to film, though. The screen writers can lift out the Tom Bombadil section fairly cleanly without impacting on the sense or flow of the film too much.

I'm not saying I woudn't like to see Tom Bombadil on the screen, just that I can understand why the writers clipped him out.
                            Particle Man, Particle Man Doing the things a particle can What's he like, it's not important Particle Man

Comment

Working...
                            X