Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Whence Kulan-Gath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whence Kulan-Gath?

Over at Dynamic Entertainment, in the pages of Red Sonja, the sorcerer Kulan-Gath is making his return to comics. Kulan-Gath has an odd history in that he was introduced ( I think) in the Elric/Conan team up in the pages of Marvel's Conan the Barbarian, and later fought Spiderman, Red Sonja, The X-Men, and The Avengers. He gets around.
    My question is, did Mike create Kulan-Gath or did Roy Thomas? Mike has said before that he can't locate a copy of the original plot he and James Cawthorne provided for Roy Thomas. I just wondered if he remembered coining the name or if Kulan-Gath was added on by Thomas.

REd sonja is a character by Robert Howard. R.H. situated her in the europe of the sixteenth century and comics authors used her in conjonction with Conan .....

Elric Conan tema was invented by comics author .

Comment

I believe strictly speaking Red Sonya was the character REH created, who has relatively little in common with the Red Sonja character invented by Roy Thomas (although he was presumably aware of REH creation).

Originally posted by Wikipedia
      On June 6, 2006 comic news site Newsarama reported that Red Sonja, LLC (which holds rights to the Roy Thomas version of the character) filed a lawsuit on four counts against Paradox Entertainment (which holds rights to Red Sonya as part of the Howard library) in US Federal Court in April of 2006. The four counts are claims of copyright infringement, trademark infringement, trademark dilution, and unfair competition.
      Last edited by David Mosley; 11-07-2006, 09:18 AM.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Well the comic book version of Red Sonja is about 10% Robert E. Howard, and 90% Roy Thomas, but I'm finding it a little distasteful to see two companies that had NOTHING to do with the creation of either character (Roy's or REH's) scrabbling like dogs in the dust for the legacies of two talented writers. That's just me though.
        I'm more interested in Mike's part (if any) in the creation of Kulan-Gath because Dynamic is making a big deal about the return of the character, supposedly because of his history at Marvel. I thought it would be weird and a touch ironic if Kulan-Gath was a Moorcock creation.

Comment

Oh well. No problem, Mike. It's been a while, after all.

Comment

In recent years there's been some pretty iffy action taken by people claiming rights to Howard's work. Seems very sad that a writer of such direct energy should be quibbled over like this. As it happens, however, we had to threaten legal action when the movie Red Sonja came out, since the sword she was using was originally called, wait for it, Stormbringer...

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Yikes! That's terrible, but sadly, not surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                As it happens, however, we had to threaten legal action when the movie Red Sonja came out, since the sword she was using was originally called, wait for it, Stormbringer...
                I suppose - given its nature - that somewhere in the multiverse there's a doomed, red-haired incarnation of the Eternal Champion called Erica of Melniboné.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Bingo !

She is a red haired albinos ..... She is doomed to love ..... and fail !

as a weapon, she as a magical comb ........ who increases her seduction rating ....... but makes her love ......

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
                    I believe strictly speaking Red Sonya was the character REH created, who has relatively little in common with the Red Sonja character invented by Roy Thomas (although he was presumably aware of REH creation).
                    I didn't know til just now that there was at least one "novel" written about the hyborianised Sonja -- see it on ebay here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d..._promot_widget

What are the odds it's readable? Silly question.

Seeing Sonja's metal bikini for the first time in ages brings to mind a question: Sonja vs. Katinka van Bak -- who wins? I know Roy Thomas gave Sonja this schtick where you have to defeat her in love before you can defeat her in battle, but really, if Katinka was wearing any sensibly protective clothing, I think it would be a foregone conclusion.

Comment

I actually read this, when it first appeared. The fact that the only thing I remember about it is the cover, is probably significant...

Comment

Originally posted by lucky-strike
                        I actually read this, when it first appeared. The fact that the only thing I remember about it is the cover, is probably significant...

Comment

There's a Wikipedia entry on Kulan Gath:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulan_Gath

When I first looked at it, Mike's name was incorrect (Morrock!) in the heading, the date of the first Conan appearance was given as 1986 as there was no credit given to James Cawthorn, so I've amended all these. Can anyone find any more mistakes? I haven't given Cawthorn's name as possible creator of the character as it's not really verifiable.
                          Last edited by Marca; 11-12-2006, 02:33 AM.
                          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I'd always assumed that the name Kulan Gath was a variation on Kulan Tith, a character in Edgar Rice Burroughs' martian novels. Maybe just coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                            X