Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Final Programme on UK TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Final Programme on UK TV

This doesn't really belong here but I thought I'd put it here for maximum attention. UK Miscellanists may like to know that ITV4 (available on Freeview, satellite and cable) are showing the film version of The Final Programme at 12 midnight on Sunday (29th October).

Not sure how long it's been since it was last on TV, maybe Sky have shown it but I never keep track of their schedules. The BBC showed it a couple of times years ago.

I have the US Anchor Bay DVD, but those who have never seen it might want to take a look. Not a great film, but of definite curiosity value for Moorcock/JC fans.
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Originally posted by Marca
    This doesn't really belong here but I thought I'd put it here for maximum attention. UK Miscellanists may like to know that ITV4 (available on Freeview, satellite and cable) are showing the film version of The Final Programme at 12 midnight on Sunday (29th October).
    Thanks for the heads up Mark. TFP is one of the missing '70s sf films from my 'collection' so I'll definitely be tuning in - or more likely setting the video for.

ITV4 have quite a good track record of showing obscure films (mainly spagetti westerns) as well as cult tv series like Space: 1999 and other ATV output. Sadly, of course - from a purist's perspective - the film will be riddled with adverts and (possibly) panned-and-scanned, but I'll live with that.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Although the TV showing will doubtless serve you for now David, it's definitely worth picking up the US DVD if you have Region 1 capability. It has a 1.77:1 widescreen enhanced picture and a commentary from Robert Fuest and Jenny Runacre, plus a US trailer. Have to confess I've never sat down and listened to the commentary properly - must do sometime, if only to see what Fuest has to say. Shame they didn't invite Mike too. That would have made for a very interesting track
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Comment

Originally posted by Marca
        Although the TV showing will doubtless serve you for now David, it's definitely worth picking up the US DVD if you have Region 1 capability. It has a 1.77:1 widescreen enhanced picture and a commentary from Robert Fuest and Jenny Runacre, plus a US trailer. Have to confess I've never sat down and listened to the commentary properly - must do sometime, if only to see what Fuest has to say. Shame they didn't invite Mike too. That would have made for a very interesting track
        If you value your sanity, do not listen to that commentary. Seriously.

If you must dip in, I'd recommend no more than 15 minutes at a time with several weeks to recover in between segments. You probably won't go back after the first 15. Have someone else in the house with wax plugs in their ears ready to pull you out.

Imagine how awful it must be for someone to warn you like this.

Then treble it.

Comment

Marca Posted:
          That is a truly beautiful thing regardless of where you post it Marca.
          It's a shame that some of the people watching the movie wont have read the books in order to grasp the depth of the story.

Comment

Eeek. Probably not a good idea to listen to MY commentary, either...
            Or Jon Finch's. We both had pretty much the same opinion of Fuest.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I hope that Davide Mana ( here on the italian space ) should find his italian copy of The FP, so I'd like to organize a "public" view of it here...

My old VHS is too much in a bad state...
              Last edited by Hieronymus; 10-28-2006, 12:10 AM.
              Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

Date?

Hi,

I think this might be at 12 midnight on Monday 30th Oct, rather than 29th. My first viewing. I'm excited!

http://www.itv.com/Listings/ShowList...ate=30/10/2006

Comment

You're right there, it is Monday. How did I get the date wrong...? Thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

Robert Fuest. I've actaully seen every movie he made except Final Programme. Devil's Rain could have been alright but ended up ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                      I saw it in French a few weeks ago. A definite improvement!
                      I saw the Final Program DVD again on friday and actually enjoyed it. It was good to see some of those characters in action on the big screen. I would like to have seen a bit more of this Jerry and a little more depth generally. Maybe the director needed more budget?

The only other time I saw the movie was 20 years ago and I was too drunk to understand what was going on.

Jon Finch and Jenny Runacre both did good jobs in my opinion.

Technology and some of the language used was a bit dated, but I did enjoy the way Jerry takes the technology for granted and just uses it.

Once again we see the pityful Frank Cornelius looking to make a buck at any cost to his own family or bystanders.

In the end, I assumed, Jerry was able to sexually satisfy and thus overcome the evil consuming fascist Miss Brunner and thus together start a new better life in a new universe with all the data and knowledge of the mistakes of the old.
                      Last edited by Tales from Tanelorn; 10-30-2006, 09:12 AM.

Comment

The movie left only one nagging question.....how was Corn/Brun going to reproduce???
                        By boinking itself?
                        I treasure the DVD.
                        It's in my Moorcock "shrine".

Comment

In the end, I wonder if the whole Cornelius/Brunner story was simply a comment or reflection on, and symbolic of 20th Century Marriage and Getting Married in general? And also symbolic of two individuals reproducing an all new unique creature with something from each of its parents as well as the whole ancestry of mankind?
                          Last edited by Tales from Tanelorn; 10-30-2006, 12:49 PM.

Comment

And the possible extinction of a species?

Comment

Working...
                            X