Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Moorcockian Influence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moorcockian Influence

I've reported a couple weeks back my 10 yearold daughter has turned into a huge fan of yours, Mr.Moorcock. She is devouring every one of the books I have of yours.
    I thought you might get a kick out of this story she wrote last week for her spelling homework. You'll see your influence in it. The underlined words are the required spelling words.

By the way she got a 100 on it

The Crazy Wolf

One night when I was prowling in the dark forest with no moon for light, I heard a noise. The sound seemed like a strange wolf’s howl. I was mounted upon my horse named Sugarwing. He was a white horse with wings, because he was supernatural and his coat glistened like sugar. My steed was spooked and galloped doubtfully into the night.

Soon, the clouds parted showering sparkling moonlight onto the forest floor. That’s when we saw the wolf. The wolf was a deep green-turquoise and his coat glistened in the moonlight. I was so scared I was becoming a slight bit drowsy. Then I noticed something that only made me more bewildered, was the wolf had eyebrows! The only reason I was able to see them was because above his crimson eyes his coat was very thin, all but the bushy purple eyebrows. And the wolf was still howling!

Within a few moments that seemed like hours, the wolf noticed us. He ran out to us ready to strike with his extra-long canines. There appeared to be saliva dripping from his teeth but it was green and on fire! So, apparently it was flammable venom.

He was still powerfully trying to run and jump on to us. He accomplished the running but not the jumping. I was desperate! I reached for the longsword strapped to my horse Sugarwing’s side. I always had it with me whenever I ventured from my home.

I did not want to kill the wolf. I only wanted to appoint him back to where he belonged. When he jumped I tried putting my sword under his large belly. I didn’t succeed the first or second time, but I did on the third.

The wolf was easy to sling with the blade. I heard the noise of a faint dropping sound and saw a crumpled figure from about a quarter kilometer away. I didn’t know how I had managed it but apparently I had. I approached him carefully and I could see his heaving chest, so I knew I had not killed the strange blue-green wolf. I then realized I had saved myself and my beautiful steed from a painful death or worse!

Wow! She's a better speller than most adults I know! I'm supposed to have an Elric story coming out in a book based on the winning words of the national spelling bee since (I think) around 1924. When the book comes out I'll try to get an extra copy to send her. If you hear of the book appearing, remind me of what I've said here. I suspect it will be a few months before the book appears. I've forgotten its title, unfortunately, but it's an interesting project -- each writer was supposed to pick one of the words and write a story around it. I picked INSOUCIANT...
    The story is called A Portrait in Ivory.
    And please congratulate her on an excellent story.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Thank you! She'll be tickled pink when I tell her.
      Oh no worries, she'll remind me, most likely everyday!

Comment

That is pretty amazing, I-S. Spelling is a dying art, with word processors doing our dirty work for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
          That is pretty amazing, I-S. Spelling is a dying art, with word processors doing our dirty work for us.
          Not just word processors, Doc; Firefox 2.0 now includes a spell-checker so it can check your spelling as you surf :)
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Calculators and spell checkers...grrr...literally, calculators have ruined me.

All I did for my super intelligent, most perfect of all children(hehe) was type it up so Michael could read it. It took a bit of persuasion on my part to get her to agree to let him read it.All I had to do was hang her by her toes from the ceiling fan and tickle her with a feather until she agreed.
            His response was a wonderful ego boost for her.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley
              Not just word processors, Doc; Firefox 2.0 now includes a spell-checker so it can check your spelling as you surf :)
              You mean Firefox 2.0 lets us spell correctly while we waste time online?

Hey I-S, not one to give parenting advice, but if you hang children by the ankles you can keep them on the fans longer than when you hang them by the toes

Comment

Ok I'll remember that tonight when she doesn't want to give me any Tootsie Rolls

Comment

What I can't work out is that I'm a pretty good speller but can't for the life of me remember numbers. I'm essentially numerically dyslexic and I'm terrible at spelling proper names. That said, I'm still smarting from telling Linda how to spell Portuguese yesterday and giving her the wrong spelling (I left out the second 'u'). Still, that's a proper name, isn't it...?

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                    What I can't work out is that I'm a pretty good speller but can't for the life of me remember numbers. I'm essentially numerically dyslexic
                    This condition has a name, but for the life of me I cannot remember it right now. I once knew someone who could talk at length about theoretical statistics, but could not plug numbers into a spreadsheet.

Comment

dyscalculia or dysgraphia maybe?

Comment

Dyscalculia sounds right. I think it refers to a wide range of disorders that makes manual calculation difficult, including the juxtaposition of numbers.

Comment

Dyscalculia is the correct term for numeric dyslexia. Dysgraphia is the condition relating to Handwriting.
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I have a feeling if I told someone I had dyscalculia in these parts they'd have me run out of town... Or tranquilised and sent to the vet.

Comment

Spell-checkers eliminate indyvideoality.
                              Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                              X