Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Address change in Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Address change in Paris

New landlord promised wifi. New landlord lie. No wifi. Therefore no access to this site or indeed my computer for a while. Anyone writing to me, I apologise.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Dear Mr M

Ah, it figures. I finally come back to the board and you have no wifi. I tried to come back a while ago, but there was no board. I'm going to go brood. I have more demons to slaughter.

Marie-Bernadette
    WWED -- What Would Elric Do?

Comment

Ah,Marie Bernadette... you bring bad luck!LOL
      Landlords are evil,most of the time...And liars,always.

Comment

Mike,

I am sorry to hear that, but I'm sure it won't be long until you get back online.

Best Wishes,

-Lem'

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
          New landlord promised... New landlord lie.
          I can honestly relate

Hope you're back up soon!
          Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

We learned the wifi is installed, but not working or connected yet. Could take another day or two. We also heard it is raining and unpleasantly cold in Paris.

C.Brass
            Come in, you're most welcome, but leave Envy at my castle's gates ... for it is a poison we are unable to cure, and you'd be its first sad victim yourself.

Comment

Landlord

Jim Page

Here he comes, lookin' for the rent,
              His greedy yellow eyes and his tongue all bent,
              Padlocked pockets and bad luck nose
              Sniffin' 'round my doorway and goin' through my clothes.
              Oh how could you treat me so cold?
              Got a mortgage on my body and the deeds of my soul.

I've a run-down room with a two-way roof.
              That man's a thief. I've even got the proof.
              He likes to take, he doesn't like to give.
              I have to pay him rent just to have a place to live.
              Hey you, I know you well;
              You run a rock-and-roll tavern and a greasy hotel.
              You misuse a lot of people. You're such a greedy man.
              I have to put gloves on in case I touch your hand.

You go sneakin 'round windows to see what you can see.
              You unlock doors where you've got no right to be.
              Your legs are weak. You've been tellin' lies.
              Some day somebody's gonna get wise.
              You're gonna get evicted out in the street,
              No food in your belly and no shoes on your feet
              You're gonna walk around from door to door
              But nobody's gonna want to see you anymore.

You're gonna wake up down here on the street,
              Bricks and mortar lyin' round your feet.
              Treat me cold now, cold as you please
              Come next winter the two of us will freeze.
              Oh landlord,
              How could you treat me so cold?
              Bastards!
              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Heiron
                Landlords are evil,most of the time...And liars,always.
                Do not be so quick to judge us all, my tennants have no qualms (at least if they know whats good for them)! :D
                Last edited by redbeard; 10-03-2006, 07:31 AM.
                My signature is

Comment

All tennants are mischievious little monsters!
                  My signature is

Comment

ownership is theft

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan Kane
                      ownership is theft
                      Please explain to me how you substantiate this statement. I've worked myself into an early grave to own what little I do and it's not very bloody much. So have I spilt blood, sweat and tears to be considered nothing more than a common theif?
                      My signature is

Comment

Well,one can argue that every person is a liar.But hey,landlords are like merchants,right?And they do have a product so a little lie is always there for the "customers".I had a good landlord,actually she was the last one.But I have some bad experiences having studied in 2 cities and changed some flats.
                        I was an excellent tennant!Hell,I even left some things to the last landlord...(actually I just decided it was too much for me to carry...If I had a van I would steal some of her books;interesting library she had but it was her aunt's and she never looked at the books)

Comment

Interesting how we've gone from one very specific complaint against one very specific landlord (viz. Mike's wifi*) to claims that all landlords are liars and cheats and their tenants aren't any better.

Perhaps it's time to steer discussions back into calmer waters, chaps?

Or I can move the relevant comments to "Reasoned Debate" if you prefer.

*Which I assume includes broadband/internet access because the two aren't quite the same.
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

ownership is theft

Originally posted by redbeard
                            Please explain to me how you substantiate this statement. I've worked myself into an early grave to own what little I do and it's not very bloody much. So have I spilt blood, sweat and tears to be considered nothing more than a common theif?
                            the phrase is from Proudhon, one of the first theoricians of anarchy .

Owmnership is a social and legal notion, the meaning of which has changed in the capitalist society.

In most cases it is a mean of coercition, of violence against other people ...

Coercition of the landlord against the tenant, of the boss against the worker and so on ........

The type of ownership Proudhon is speaking of is the property of the means of production and essential goods as water, energy, logement and so on ....

Comment

Hmm...whatever.
                              I have no problem,even deleting my "landlord" posts would be ok.
                              But hey,no landlord had wi-fi for me! :(

Comment

Working...
                              X