Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

First Person Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Person Perspective

A question for MM or officiados or anyone who knows – how many (or which) MM novels were written in first person?

I recently started re-reading “The Eternal Champion” and was immediately disturbed… I didn’t recall it being first person on the first read (but please pardon me because it was some time ago ). After a while I’d adjusted accordingly but I began to wonder, which other novels may also be in the same perspective? I couldn’t remember any others, but there must be?... mustn't there?

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

The Michael Kane novels are told in FPP iirc. Initially 'Edward Powys Bradbury' recounts his meetings with Kane, but then Kane takes over the narrative as his recounts his adventures to EPB.

The Oswald Bastable novels have a similar style with Mike's supposed 'grandfather' standing in for EPB, but I don't recall atm whether Bastable's narratives are told in FPP or not.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

DM, just had a quick look at (from my library) "The Land Leviathan", "The Warlord Of The Air" and "The Steel Tsar" and indeed they are FPP.

I would imagine that it is extremely difficult to switch from one writing perspective to another. I would hazard a guess that there aren’t many authors out there keen enough to try this – certainly not a game for beginners. I have enough difficulty in keeping reports/recommendations/briefing notes/evaluations/tech specs etc. in one perspective (you may probably relate to this coming from the same profession).

and over in the big black booth near the edge of the fairground, the last band is playing...

Comment

yep, one more thing that makes the books special!

first person style in some of the books, is one of the qualities that kept me hooked after I was originally hooked!

I do believe The Brothel in Rosenstrasse might be in first person as well.

Muroc, you are so right. I toyed around with FPP for short stories (that I am not good at to start with) and it really is tough.

I don't think there are many if any other professionals who could do it
        successfully.

There are alot of things in the novels, I think, like a journal here or there, or paper a character read that is in FFP as well.

Oh! it's so enjoyable!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

There are loads of them. Some that people haven't mentioned off the top of my head:
          The Pyatt books
          The two main von Bek novels
          King of the City

Comment

ya, I thought the von Bek's were FFP. cool! (thought I remembered right,hehe)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay
              There are loads of them. Some that people haven't mentioned off the top of my head:
              The Pyatt books
              The two main von Bek novels
              King of the City
              Of course, Pyat says he was telling his story to some guy named Moorcock. He had to be making up that name

I'm not sure the von Bek books would work if they were not in first person, and I'm certain that The Brothel in Rosenstrasse (nice immediate catch, Lem) would not work any other way..

Comment

Also The War Amongst the Angels, The Dreamthief's Daughter, The Skrayling Tree, and The White Wolf's Son. Maybe Some Reminiscences of the Third World War as well? That was published as a single volume at one point, though it now generally appears as part of a collection like Earl Aubec (or so I believe).

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                  Of course, Pyat says he was telling his story to some guy named Moorcock. He had to be making up that name
                  Ya, the other names seem more realistic! HahaHa!

(was that one story in Tales of the White Wolf?, where the guy is saying,
                  "who is this Moorcock, sounds like a stage name of an x-rated movie" haha)

I'm not sure the von Bek books would work if they were not in first person,....
                  Very true. Doc. I get drawn so easily into the books, that I forget sometimes what style they were written in, they are even more brilliant to me, when I think about how good they are on many levels, it's nice to get lost in the story! FPP really works well for that.

...and I'm certain that The Brothel in Rosenstrasse (nice immediate catch, Lem) would not work any other way..

Thanks! Good point. The novels could not be any other way.

That is Fantastic for the author to get them right all the time from the start!

hehe. I can't argue with perfection!

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
                  X