Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Used Book Stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Book Stores

A recent trip to the local used bookstore turned up an old, good conditioned Fantastic magazine from 75. It features a Karl Edward Wagner story, "Two Setting Suns," with the immortal Kane. (It mentions being his first appearance of Karl in the magazine - and maybe Kane as well, I'm not sure)? Eitherway, the best part, aside being in excellent condition, is that it cost nothing. The used book dealer gave me the mag. for nothing with the other books I was buying at the time.

I thought it an interesting find and one I wanted to share here with all you guys. But I thought, who else has found rare or interesting things at a used book store?

Very cool, Azariel!

Congratulations on the great find!

Yeah,the used book stores are a little dry in these parts.

I already bought most of the Moorcock novels that they had, plus any of the
    more rare stuff of fantasy and sorcery.

Now that the city is really, really growing, I can't find much of anything,hehe.

I'm glad I bought what I did, when I did, because now I need to order online for the stuff I want, or get it on e-bay.

-Lem'

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I love used book stores!

My best finds are a first edition of Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes and a signed copy of Jo DiMaggio's Lucky to be a Yankee. ABE has them priced at over $1500 between them, and I paid less than $6. Second place goes to a double signed copy of Gaiman and Pratchett's Good Omens for $4 and a hardback omnibus of Lee and Kirby's Silver Surfer for $3.

Comment

My best find has to be a fine copy of the Compact edition of Somewhere In The Night (later revised as The Chinese Agent). It looked like new and cost 25p a decade or so ago (that's about 50c?). Couldn't believe my luck, as the owner obviously didn't know what he had.
        'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

My story is similar.

A very nice copy of Printer's Devil (later The Russian Intelligence) by Bill Barclay in a short-lived bookshop in Tintagel, Cornwall. IIRC it was on sale for 50p (about 85 cents) and I insisted on giving the guy a pound for it.

Next time I was in town the shop was empty/to let and the time after that a luxury ice cream emporium. It's a turning multiverse.

A year or two back I lucked onto the White Wolf Kane Of Old Mars HB in great condition for £7.50, in another seaside town, Broadstairs in Kent.

Comment

Edinburgh and Aberdeen both have good used book stores. The one in Edinburgh is on a little side street, and run by a very friendly Amercan guy. The Aberdonian one, is a lot more "professional" looking, but still has a great atmosphere, and a very nice cafe. I think most of my Moorcock collection comes from either of those two shops. The last find, over the summer was The Final Programme in Aberdeen.

Comment

Does anyone know of any decent used bookstores in Cambridge? Not only am I always scoping for a good deal, but we have some really old books to get rid of.

When I say old, I mean ooold. These might be better suited to antiquarian bookstores, rather than a regular used bookstore. Specifically, a copy of Tale of Two Cities from 1902 and a copy of Plutarch's Lives from 1860. Plus a bunch of other Dickens from the middle 1900s, but they're less of an issue.
              The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

VG Wrote:
                I found a bookstore today in a little jerkwater town ran by a little white haired, bearded fellow that had a cornucopia of Mikes Work.
                I purchased:
                The Nomad Of Time (Nelson Doubleday Hardcover)
                Behold The Man and other stories (Phoenix House Hardcover)
                The Ice Schooner (Berkley Paperback)
                The Adventures Of Una Persson And Catherine Cornelius In The Twentieth Century (Granada Paperback)
                The Lives And Times Of Jerry Cornelius (Quartet Paperback)
                I am content.
                Well that post was 3 weeks ago AZ and Im going back for another visit with the distinguished old chap. He told me that he has a whole box of MM's books stashed away and needed a couple of weeks to dig them up. I hadnt been in to his shop for at least 12 years and couldnt believe that he still had the same copies of TIS and TAOUPACCITTC on the shelf.
                Maybe thats why his prices have now dropped within the realms of reality.

Comment

lemec wrote:

I already bought most of the Moorcock novels that they had, plus any of the
                  more rare stuff of fantasy and sorcery.
                  Sounds like my local used bookstores. I bought up pretty much all the Moorcocks around, so I can't find anything I haven't read anymore. Though it appears that I may not be the only fan of Mike around: I once found an omnibus of The Dancers at the End of Time but decided I'd purchase it later. Next time I went to the store, it was gone. Though I wounder if that mystery purchaser is also annoyed with me, as I know that I've picked up a LOT of Mike's books in the area.

Comment

There's a really good 2nd hand bookstore in town where I work (cardiff).
                    They have lots of old MM books.

Will be heading down there soon to buy quite a few of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X