Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

MMORPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMORPG

Just a question i've had in mind for a long time : are there any plans to release a Elric/Stormbringer MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, like Warcraft, Lineage II and the likes) ?
    I've played the 1st Edition Stormbringer RPG, then the Elric RPG, then gave a try to "Dragon Lords Of Melniboné", but it would be so great to create a character in the Multiverse as an online persistant world !
    Moreover, we mature RolePlayers are really in need of a good MMORPG, Warcraft is for kids only, Star Wars Galaxies has failed miserabily, and Lineage II, although a great game, isnt really RP enough...
    Last edited by Grazzt; 09-21-2006, 07:40 AM.

If MMORPGs got to the level where everyone in game could actually talk to each other, rather than typing text, I think a good RP MMORPG would be possible.

But until then, personally, I can't really see it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by danskmacabre
      If MMORPGs got to the level where everyone in game could actually talk to each other, rather than typing text, I think a good RP MMORPG would be possible.

But until then, personally, I can't really see it happening.
      Can't you use Voice-Over-Network and a headset to talk to other players? I don't play MMORPGS but I was sure that a friend of mine was saying that he played like that regularly.
      The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

Sure, there already are a LOT of software that let you speak with the other players when you play a MMORPG !
        I cant remember the names cos i dont use them myself, i like the typing thing better, but a lot of players use them !
        So, now that this was answered, how about a Elric MMORPG ?

Comment

I know there's lots of integrated software packages like skype etc, but they don't work in game , IN THE SENSE OF just walking up to anyone in game and chat to them, it only works for other people using the chat software.
          Meaning you could chat to anyone using the software, no matter where they are.

What I meant was being able to chat in game to any player as the character you represent, with potentially many people in a group at the same time.

At this time, I don't think most people have the bandwidth to support a large group chat system, where you could talk to anyone, in the game.
          It would be tought o write software to be able to allow this anyway, imagine trying to administrate all teh diferent voices in game at the same time, what with lag etc.

Comment

LEEROY JENKINS!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeroy_Jenkins
            Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

As I have already pointed out, I do appreciate that a group of players, by pre arrangement can chat in a game, however, it's not a facility built into the game.

Planetside has this built into the game, BUT only to people in your group, not in the sense of interactivity in the greater world.

I hope I have clarified this enough.
              If I haven't then I can explain it in a simpler way.

Comment

Yea i see what you mean, and it would be indeed very difficult to implement such a thing in a MMORPG...
                Anyway, voicetalk or no voicetalk, are there any plans to release an Elric MMORPG, yes or no ????
                Mike, are you here somewhere and do you know about such a thing ?

Comment

Grazzats,

While not a MMORPG I'd recommend Neverwinter Nights for the next closest thing. There are a couple of Persistent Worlds (think a very small MMORPG) based on the multiverse.

Downsides of NWN:
                  Small servers (65 players at once is the most I've seen)
                  Not professionally maintained
                  Worlds tend to be smaller than true MMOPRGs

Upsides of NWN:
                  After you buy the game no recurring costs
                  You can build your own world if you don't like what's out there
                  The level of Roleplay is a *lot higher* than places like WOW

I'm building out a world that explores similiar themes to MMs work right now, but it's not directly based on Elric or any other character for that matter...

Comment

Working...
                  X