Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Good illustrations ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good illustrations ?

I'd like to create an Elric wallpaper, but i cant find any decent illustration !
    All the illustrations i've found for Elric (even in this site) range from (in my opinion) very ugly to...well, kinda acceptable but not good enough for a wallpaper.
    Just to let you know what kind of illustration i have in mind, here are some i find really excellent :
    www.ultimatom.com/1.jpg
    www.ultimatom.com/2.jpg
    www.ultimatom.com/3.jpg
    How come, with a great character like Elric, we dont get high-quality illustrations like these ones ?

Originally posted by Grazzt
    Just to let you know what kind of illustration i have in mind, here are some i find really excellent :
    www.ultimatom.com/1.jpg
    www.ultimatom.com/2.jpg
    www.ultimatom.com/3.jpg
    How come, with a great character like Elric, we dont get high-quality illustrations like these ones ?
    Art is, of course, purely subjective. You appear to have a very specific taste in fantasy art, but I fail to see how your examples are higher in quality than the works of BROM, Brunner, Whelan, etc. My guess is that the only reason Elric has never been portrayed in the style your examples depict is that that particular artist has never tried his hand at doing Elric.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Yes of course, it's purely subjective, when i talked about "quality" i was more refering to the "graphic quality" of the picture by itself, than to the "artistic quality", which is indeed just a matter of taste

Comment

I have never found an artist that draw the Elric that I have in my mind despise they graphic quality (of th lack of it), but maybe I´m to purist.

Comment

Yes of course, it's purely subjective, when i talked about "quality" i was more refering to the "graphic quality" of the picture by itself, than to the "artistic quality", which is indeed just a matter of taste
          It would seem that "graphic quality" is also a matter of taste, since I find
          Brom, Whelan, and Amano to be of fantastic quality ...

Ian
          Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to
          go to hell so that they will look forward to
          making the trip.

Comment

As I've said before, my own image of Elric is Cawthorn's found on the original cover of Stormbringer. The artist illustrated seems more like some who have illustrated French covers.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Woah...
              I'm always amazed to think that you, Michael Moorcock, the one who wrote the books i most love, used to read when i was a kid (and still do now), and filled my nightime dreams and my daytime roleplaying sessions, is actually here answering a question i, little me, asked !!! Thank God for the Internet
              I can see why you like Cawthorn's work, i would say that my favorite is Frank Brunner, but i still have to find a high-quality graphic illustration that i could use as a wallpaper on my PC or put on one of my walls here at home...
              (and to answer Ian, i dont really know how to put it, but what i mean is a maybe more "modern", "realistic", "computer-graphics-like" illustration like the ones i posted in my original post, like PsychicWarVeteran said, maybe it's just because the artists that do the stuff i like never did Elric, and shame on them )

Comment

If you mean this Large Format illustrated Stombringer by James Cawthorn, then this is how Elric and his world looks like to me also. I bought a copy in Manchester in 1983 for 1 quid I think and then somehow lost it lending it out. I recall it was very good indeed and would like to find another copy.

http://www.savoy.abel.co.uk/HTML/storm.html
                Last edited by Tales from Tanelorn; 10-12-2006, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Well, I've contacted Miles Teves a few times about whether or not I could
                  commission an Elric drawing from him. Alas, no reply.

He was one of the brains behind the roleplaying game Skyrealms of Jorune -
                  he supplied all of the original art. I am blessed to own some of the original
                  pieces he did (most pencil, but some pen).

http://www.milesteves.com (warning, some of his work is not child/work safe).

http://www.jorune.org

Ian
                  Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to
                  go to hell so that they will look forward to
                  making the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian
                    http://www.milesteves.com (warning, some of his work is not child/work safe).
                    Woah, this is excellent stuff, this is exactly what i'm looking for !!!
                    The only thing is, i didnt find anything Elric-related in his illustrations, did i miss something ?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                      I still think it's worth your checking out French editions, maybe via Presse Pocket or Fleuve Noire.
                      Well, i do have the French editions (as i'm French ), but i dont know where i put them, i ordered the american ones a while ago because i wanted to read them in English, without any translator dude rewriting the whole thing...

Comment

Hello Grazzt.
                        Did you check out Hieronymus's work. I think they are exceptional. Ask his permission to view his Eternal Champion images.

Comment

Hieronymus's work ? No, where can i find his work ? Does he have a website or something ? (i guess so, as you say to ask "permission" )

Comment

Hieronymus's work ? No, where can i find his work ? Does he have a website or something ? (i guess so, as you say to ask "permission" )
                            http://www.dalmaziofrau.it/

Found on his profile.

Comment

Working...
                            X