Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Question about Von Beck books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EverKing
    replied
    I tried to introduce Corum to my chidren from a previous marriage, but they thought they were very suspicous, imagine talking about God like that!
    Imagine what they'd say about Warhound and the World's Pain! :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    My dad was an Edgar Rice Burroughs fan and it was through reading a couple of Martian books he'd left behind when he left my mother that I started reading fantasy! As I've said, he thought the Kane books were my best (presumably because they were a homage among other things to Burroughs) but he also enjoyed the Elric books. The more complicated the books became, the less he liked them. My children don't read me, as I said, but Max's son, Bobby George, might well turn into a reader if his dad continues to put him in West Ham babygros! You know what they say about opposites... :D

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I just thought I'd say that, if you can't get hold of one of the White Wolf Omnibus editions of Hawkmoon (I'm assuming you're in America, as we don't have the White Wolf editions over in England) bu, I actually think that the Fantasy Masterworks edition of the initial hawkmoon trilogy is actually superior, both in front cover and the text size is also more appropriate I thin anyway (That however is in comparison with the English version of the Omnibus editions). This is called The History of the Runestaff. On Amazon. Com, I think, if you go into the fantasy sc-fi section, there is an entire sub-section devoted to Fantasy Masterorks series and should be easy to locate the Hawkmoon trilogy, its between 30 and 60. If that's any help!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    http://www.bek.no/

Any clues?

Leave a comment:

• ThanosShadowsage
    replied
    The Forge of God

Dlackey-The Forge Of God is friggen awesome! Greg Bear was the first author I read for pleasure, Moorcock being the second. Have you read the sequal to The Forge of God yet? I didn't know it existed until I found it by chance on day. It is called "Anvil of Stars" and is damn good too. I also highly suggest the Eon series, one of the main characters, Omly (hope I spelled that right) is one of my favorite characters of all time. Omly, Ulric Von Bek, Jack K., and Pellaz (from Storm Constantine's Wraethuthu - another great book) are all very dear to my heart.

Thanos

Leave a comment:

• Tales from Tanelorn
    replied
    Sometimes parents can find it difficult to accept the ideas of their offspring. My dad introduced me to ERB Martian books and to the Corum and Elric books. He also had lots of new worlds though I didnt read those. I tried to introduce Corum to my chidren from a previous marriage, but they thought they were very suspicous, imagine talking about God like that! I do hope they dont turn out religous and narrow minded like their mother who controls every aspect of their thoughts and lives with great care.
    I suspect my dad thought I went too far when I went from the books to the Hawkwind music though and bought a guitar to punish my Ma. Maybe it all helped me to get through college or maybe it nearly cost me my degree, difficult to tell.....

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    My mother never read one of my books in her life. When I brought her a copy of the first Elric story in its magazine appearance she threw the
    thing down said "I don't know where you get it from. It's not from me and it's certainly not from your father." And never read another word I wrote. Which is scarier ?
    My father thought the Kane of Old Mars books were really the only decent ones I'd written, though he admitted Hawkmoon and Elric were okay.
    My children, as far as I know, have never finished one of my books.
    Do you think I'm an embarrassment to my relatives ? :)

Leave a comment:

• Chaz
    replied
    Thank you!

I found out two weekends ago that my mother had belonged to the sci-fi book club when I was young. I mentioned I was reading Moorcock books. She told me to "wait right there" and disappeared in to her basement. She came up a few minutes later with a whole stack of your books, The Dragon in the Sword being one. :D

It is scary that I like some of the same things my mother does ....... :oops:

-Chaz

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Answer is yes. The von Bek books effectively form a different series.

Leave a comment:

• Chaz
    replied
    I don't play much ET anymore. When I do I put up a dedicated server for the "unpatched" version of the game. (I'm luck enough to have access to a dedicated T1) The servers name is (SOB) Server T1 Dedicated. You might see me running around in there as (SOB)Chaz.

Bring that MP40 on!!! I'll take ya on with a "Union made" Tommy gun anyday

Oh, I'd still like to know if I can read The Dragon in the Sword before the other Von Bek books. I just finished The Eternal Champion and Pheonix in Obsidian. I loved em both and need more. :D

-Chaz

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Yeah, I have ET. Played Wolfenstein from the beginning when it first came out. My son is always on ET playing as "Deathead". Great game and Free!

What's your name in ET? Same as here? I'll look for ya - with my MP40!!! :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Chaz
    replied
    Originally posted by VonWeiner
    Hey Chaz, NJ! I was born and raised there (until 14). Still have family in Tom's River.

I saw your Avatar and it looks like a Medal of Honor character. You play anything online?
    Hey. I was born in the Bronx (NYC) and moved to NJ with my family when I was around 10. So yeah I mostly was raised in NJ as well. I recently purchased a home here in Middlesex boro, MIddlesex county. Not too far from Tom's River..... nothing in NJ is from from each other, just a whole lot of people in between. :lol:

My avatar is from Enemy Territory. The excellent free game. www.splashdamage.com. I did play a whole lot of medal of honor, but now-a-days its Call of Duty. If you like MOH I recommend COD. :)

-Chaz

Leave a comment:

• Chaz
    replied
    Originally posted by McTalbayne
    I think the Hawkmoon Omnibus is called Hawkmoon.
    Well that won't make searching for it on Amazon.com any easier :P Thanks.

-Chaz

Leave a comment:

• VonWeiner
    replied
    Hey Chaz, NJ! I was born and raised there (until 14). Still have family in Tom's River.

I saw your Avatar and it looks like a Medal of Honor character. You play anything online?

Leave a comment:

• McTalbayne
    replied
    I think the Hawkmoon Omnibus is called Hawkmoon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X