Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Question about Von Beck books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Von Beck books

I am reading White Wolf Publishing Micahael Moorcock's The Eternal Champion. The 2nd book in this volume is The Sundered Worlds and seems to be a Von Beck story. As I started to read it I found it was SCI-FI space type of story instead of the fantasy type I like. So, I skipped over it to start reading Pheonix in Obsidian.

My question is, are all Von Beck books SCI-FI like? If I want to read more fantasy Eternal Champion books, should I stick with Erekose, Corum, Elric and Hawkmoon? (Did I leave anyone out?)

Maybe I'm wording it wrong, but by fantasy I mean swords and horses. Medieval is what I'm thinking.

Thanks.

Chaz

Sci-Fi/Von Bek

I can handle this question if you like.

Mike writes in a lot of different genres. Sundered Worlds is definitely Sci-Fi (I liked it, but I'm a Sci-Fi fan). But no, not all Von Bek stories are sci-fi. Sundered Worlds is the only Von Bek story I've read that was sci-fi actually. Most of the Von Bek stories are fantasy and have biblical touch to them (mostly about God, Lucifer, and the Holy Grail). Von Bek is one of my favorite incarnations. Good stuff.

Thanos

Comment

I too was confused by this years ago, when i first started reading the White Wolf books. I gather that the Sundered Worlds was considered an important book in understanding the structure of the Multiverse and introduces themes that will run through the series, much as The Eternal Champion does. Mr. M or John Davey could answer that a lot better than I could.

All 3 novels in Von Bek (the warhound and the worlds pain, city in the autumn stars, and the dragon in the sword) are all fantasy, and all 3 great novels. You should enjoy them. It is worth noting that the 3rd book in the Von Bek collection is actually the sequel to The Eternal Champion and Phoenix in Obsidian, so I'm sure you will really enjoy that one.

You'll find over the course of the 15 omnibus editions that the bulk of it is fantasy, with a healthy sprinkling of I guess science-fantasy, and a little outright science fiction. Science in these books takes a back seat to the story. Believe me, my eyes glaze over when I start reading most sci-fi (robots, moon bases, rockets, etc.).

Comment

Sci-Fi

Bah! �Yer a pansy Dlackey! That's what I love about Mike's work. :P

No matter how far out it gets into the fantasy genre it always has a logical sci-fi explanation. I love it! :P

Joking about the name calling by the way.

I guess what I'm trying to point out here is that Mike's work transcends genres and different types of readers can all enjoy a good Moorcockian epic.

Thanos

Comment

What I like is the fact that whatever sci-fi is in the stories isn't in the way, the story is first and foremost. I suspect the science in several of the books is wonky anyway (to cop a phrase Stephen King used to describe his own sci-fi). For example, there is no in depth explanation behind the cities at the End of TIme that sustain everything. I'm sure if there was, I'd find it exceedingly dull and move on to something more stimulating.

I should add that I generally am interested in science, I like the discovery channel, I like reading about new advances in science, etc., but I find hard science fiction to be so damn boring. Greg Bear is an exception I guess. I enjoyed The Forge of God.

Comment

Science fantasy has always been my preferred term, if we're going to have categories at all. But, yes, The Sundered Worlds is a key book in understanding the ideas of the Multiverse, so that's why it's included early in the American series. That book and three other science fiction novels were published separately in England and are actually currently out of print there. The other science fiction/fantasy books are pretty easy to spot, since they turn up in The Roads Between the Worlds and
            Sailing to Utopia (is it ? My memory's going!). Pretty much all the other books in the omnibus set are fantasy/science fantasy. I regard the first Corum series, for instance, as science fantasy rather than fantasy, though the bias is towards fantasy. The City in the Autumn Stars is fantasy but contains little mediaevalism, since it begins in the late 18th century. The Hawkmoon books, too, are set in the future, but are essentially fantasy. I suppose the brief way of putting it is to say that my books don't derive from the Tolkien tradition, though I'm still not sure where that tobacco, gunpoweder, tomatoes and potatoes all came from in Middle Earth! Middle America ? Middle China ? And I still wonder
            how a reference to an express train got into LOTR! Maybe that's why I prefer science fantasy, which offers a certain amount of logic to explain
            such dissonances. :)

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

On the subject of VoN Bek...

I re-read The warhound and the worlds pain recently and I have to ask is Ulrich Von Bek the original EC?

There is a passage or two which suggest that the souls he redeems (including Sedenko's? I hope so) will be reincarnated to try again rather than claimmed by either heaven or hell. Does this lead to the many and varied incarnations of the EC, the love intrest and the companion?

Or would that only be true in the particular facet of the multiverse (our own?) in which the Kreighund exsisted?

Oh BTW picked up the omnibus of Hawkmoon recently, fantastic stuff, thanks for writing such great books.

Comment

Not really. John Daker, I suppose, is the original. Von Bek is certainly the manifestation of the champion in our recent history. But, of course, there are many strands to the multiverse. Maybe Von Bek's the original in another universe ?
                Thanks for your kind comments about Hawkmoon. Much appreciated.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. Based on this I just ordered The Warhound and the Worlds Pain. Is it safe to read Dragon in the Sword before the other von bek books?

Also what is the name of the Hawkmoon Omnibus? I'll have to hunt down a copy of that next.

-Chaz

Comment

I think the Hawkmoon Omnibus is called Hawkmoon.

Comment

Hey Chaz, NJ! I was born and raised there (until 14). Still have family in Tom's River.

I saw your Avatar and it looks like a Medal of Honor character. You play anything online?
                      When they had advanced together to meet on common
                      ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                      and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                      each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                      mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                      killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Originally posted by McTalbayne
                        I think the Hawkmoon Omnibus is called Hawkmoon.
                        Well that won't make searching for it on Amazon.com any easier :P Thanks.

-Chaz

Comment

Originally posted by VonWeiner
                          Hey Chaz, NJ! I was born and raised there (until 14). Still have family in Tom's River.

I saw your Avatar and it looks like a Medal of Honor character. You play anything online?
                          Hey. I was born in the Bronx (NYC) and moved to NJ with my family when I was around 10. So yeah I mostly was raised in NJ as well. I recently purchased a home here in Middlesex boro, MIddlesex county. Not too far from Tom's River..... nothing in NJ is from from each other, just a whole lot of people in between. :lol:

My avatar is from Enemy Territory. The excellent free game. www.splashdamage.com. I did play a whole lot of medal of honor, but now-a-days its Call of Duty. If you like MOH I recommend COD. :)

-Chaz

Comment

Yeah, I have ET. Played Wolfenstein from the beginning when it first came out. My son is always on ET playing as "Deathead". Great game and Free!

What's your name in ET? Same as here? I'll look for ya - with my MP40!!! :lol:
                            When they had advanced together to meet on common
                            ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                            and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                            each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                            mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                            killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

I don't play much ET anymore. When I do I put up a dedicated server for the "unpatched" version of the game. (I'm luck enough to have access to a dedicated T1) The servers name is (SOB) Server T1 Dedicated. You might see me running around in there as (SOB)Chaz.

Bring that MP40 on!!! I'll take ya on with a "Union made" Tommy gun anyday

Oh, I'd still like to know if I can read The Dragon in the Sword before the other Von Bek books. I just finished The Eternal Champion and Pheonix in Obsidian. I loved em both and need more. :D

-Chaz

Comment

Working...
                              X