Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mike - Do You MST3K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike - Do You MST3K?

Serious comedy. What gives you the everlasting giggles, Mr. Moorcock, sir?

What makes one laugh?

I refer to the started-in-Minnesota comedic genius of Mystery Science Theater 3000, known colloquially as MST3K. Not airing currently, I don't think, but it was a Saturday-morning staple on Sci-Fi Channel for a while, and found on obscure stations before. At least some of the better ones are on DVD from Rhino. Really terrible old films, and ongoing commentary from one kidnapped janitor and two robots. Reminds me, frighteningly, of my favorite form of comedy, real-time making fun of whatever is going on TV-wise whilst amongst friends and somewhat inebriated. I can tear news apart with a mighty tongue and no commercial advertisement can live past my withering witticisms!

Join us!

JOIN US!

Miqque
    ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Some of them I've seen are absolutely hilarious!

Comment

I loved it when they used to have the Turkey Day Marathon.

The Cave Dwellers (Ator Sword & Sorcery)

and Alien Intruder (Rocky and Ken,..."they tried to kill me with a forklift...") were the episodes that I liked best!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

When the show was first on, the guy, a (good) crazy absurdist prop comedian/art student type was pretty great, the replacement was to me only so-so, but the propbots are great.

Last edited by Talisant; 09-26-2006, 06:26 AM.
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

We don't get cable, unfortunately, so I miss the odd gem. Must say it would be a reason for getting it (that and the Turner Classic Movie channel for me), but somehow we never seem to get around to it and only see it in motel rooms, mostly (or in France, usually in French).
          I have been rendered helpless by Robin Williams on occasions, both in private and in public. He is naturally funny, I think, and never strains to tell a joke. Fawlty Towers probably remains my favourite TV series, but there's a lot I enjoy, much of it fairly silly.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Good video stores have some for rental. Something to keep in mind when not knowing what you feel like watching!

Miqque
            ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Mike, Glad to see you enjoy Fawlty Towers, this is one of our favourites also. It was an excellent totally hysterical vehicle for exploring and dealing with the difficult themes of the day and various stereotypes. The Germans, Waldorf Salad etc

Miqque we recently joined up with a DVD postal rental club which is working very well for us.
              Last edited by Tales from Tanelorn; 10-12-2006, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X