Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Drag Queens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Queens

Hey Mike,

This might seem like a really odd question, but have you ever been to a Drag Queen show? It's an experience I recommend everyone have once. It really opened my eyes.

I was visiting my girlfriend for the weekend and it was a Friday night and we (my girlfriend, her roommate, and myself) decided to go out. So first we went to Bill’s 24 hour Doughnut Shop which is one of the places her friends hang out until the wee hours of the morning. There we met Anna, another one of my girlfriend’s friends (who’s birthday was Saturday). She had been at Bill’s for a couple hours already so when we got there she was happy to see us and said she was rather bored. So it was decided that we would go to 1470 West, a local club that played a lot of hard music etc… I was looking forward to it (Amanda, my girlfriend, had told me a lot about it and it seemed like a cool place). That is until I was told it was Drag night. Of course the girls thought it would be hilarious to take me, slightly homophobic, to a Drag Show.

Now I was getting scared. I ran through a lot of exaggerated scenarios of what a “Drag Night� at a club would be like. I imagined drag queens everywhere, sipping drinks and making out with each other. I think I’ve told you once before that I am pro gay rights and believe “all forms of love� to be good. But there’s just something about that that freaks me out, it’s an irrational phobia but one I haven’t been able to release completely. But when we get there I am relieved. Everything looks normal (for me anyway, some would be shocked by the punk style most of the patrons were sporting). But then I hear Anna say that “the real party is upstairs� and I get dragged along (no pun intended).

After getting upstairs we find out we’ve made it just in time for the drag show and the girls buy their drinks, I’m still underage, and take their seats around the dance floor (which served as the stage). The first act comes on and I cannot hide my embarrassment. I have a hard time watching, but I didn’t want to be disrespectful so I forced myself. It was painful when the Cher impersonator came out, wearing an outfit that showed most of his/her rear. But during the show I came to a realization that seems obvious but changed my perspective totally. I realized that these people are doing what they love, no matter how weird that seems to me I have to respect that. Who am I to tell them they can’t? And if they want to be called women well then I see no reason not to oblige. It’s only the decent thing to do.

I had JUST had this epiphany when I noticed the announcer (a “sharply dressed� large black man) was smiling at me and walking my way. Somehow I just knew what was going to happen and I shrunk into my seat and tried to be invisible. I think he noticed because instead of talking to me he spoke to my girlfriend. “Is this your boyfriend?� he said into the microphone. When my girlfriend accented he proceeded to tell her, and the rest of the audience how “hot� he thought I was, which got an uproar of laughter from Anna and Bonnie. So I’m just sitting there, failing at being invisible, trying not to show either the fact that I was embarrassed or the fact that I was flattered. It was an odd night indeed.

So it is in the spirit of understanding that I suggest that all heterosexual men, and especially the homophobic ones, attend at least one drag show. Although I wanted to close my eyes throughout the entire show, in the end the experience really opened them.

Thanos

P.S. Forgot to mention that after midnight that night it was technically Anna's birthday so we had the Drag Queens drag her out on stage and they each spanked her a total of 22 times. It was funny but appairently it hurt. Seems drag queens don't know their own strength.

I went to Rhode Island one time with my grandma when i was about 13 or 14. We were shopping in this little shopping village type place that had a church in the center of it. All of a sudden these very ugly women in wedding dresses started walking out a Limo, and into the church. My grandma said, "oh look at them, theyre so beautiful". I was like, "uhhhhh, Nana, i think those are guys." My suspicions were confirmed when women in tuxedos started coming out of the Limo. Hahaha, its not something ya see everyday.

Comment

I have! Great time. I think people who are different than the "norm" seem nicer to me. They act more tolerant of others. Once they get to know you and can let down their guard.

I'm kind of a big, clean-cut guy (I ride sport-bikes so I like my hair short to avoid "helmet-head" and I wrestled in college - 6' 240lbs was about 20lbs lighter when I wrestled). Needless to say, the few times I have been to a drag show, some of the guys in drag thought I was one of those guys that would beat them up for it. Then they see me smile and watch their friends (also in drag) greet me. I have several friends with "alternate" lifestyles (comes from working in the development end of a software company). They are some of the nicest and most tolerant group of people I know.

Now that I live in Texas, not sure if I'll see them much.
      When they had advanced together to meet on common
      ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
      and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
      each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
      mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
      killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Haven't found any yet, Michael. I just moved down here in January. Ohio does though.

I am sure if I would just look around I'd find something 'bohemian'. :D Houston is a pretty big city.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Ohio

Haha Von Weiner,

Ohio is where I was. ;p Dayton to be precise. Where my girlfriend lives and I'm planning on moving there in May. 1470 West is actually the address of the club we went to. But most people call it 1470's... or 14's.

Thanos

Comment

That's right, you were there when you should've been at Wal-Mart! I think I read that in those personnel records.

That is funny. I went to this place called The Outlands in Columbus, OH years ago. There were a couple of other clubs too, but I can't think of them - I think one was called Millenium or something goofy like that.

Small world Thanos, small world. :D

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Hedwig

Hedwig. Go see it on stage this weekend if it's still out there. Rent or buy the DVD, as a second possibility. Hedwig is one of the best stage shows I've ever seen. Breathtaking. And I am also not gay. It's right up there with excellent live performances of stuff like "Equus" - it makes you re-imagine what the theater can be.

The movie via DVD is also quite good, as is the soundtrack. This really should be, nay is, the "Rocky Horror" of the current era.

The best parts about it are the various possible surprise endings and the fact that it uses some of the ideas in Plato's "Symposium" a.k.a. "The Banquet."

Unless you just hate musical theater, you will find yourself remembering and humming some of the tunes, I promise.

Comment

Love Plato. Take a look at my Provocative Literature thread. I have posted a bit of his stuff there. Thought about putting up some of the Symposium but it is hard to look at it and find a part that is "digestable" for everyone here (i.e. not too long, gets to the point quickly - its hard on the eyes reading on computers and hard on my fingers transcribing it from the books).

[broken link]
                Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Re: Hedwig

Originally posted by krunky
                  Hedwig. Go see it on stage this weekend if it's still out there. Rent or buy the DVD, as a second possibility. Hedwig is one of the best stage shows I've ever seen.
                  Absolutely! I haven't seen the stage show, unfortunately, but I did pick the video up in a second-hand sale and immediately had to buy the DVD. Even if you don't like traditional musical theatre, the film is structured around a rock band's tour of various tacky venues and I think it should appeal to anyone who likes to see electric guitars being used (and abused) properly... unless you really have a problem with guys in make-up, in which case you're missing out on a lot of good music anyway (Bowie, Manson, Cooper, etc.)

D...

"F**k you, I'm going to Guam!" - Yitzhak[/i]
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Remember New Order. Phil said Jerry Cornelius had inspired his
                    image. A lot of transexuals and transvestites like Jerry, since, after all, he's doing easily what it often takes them a lot of trouble to do!
                    I've always thought people should dress however they please while one of Linda's favourite movies is Paula, Queen of the Desert. Where I came from (Ladbroke Grove from the 60s on, I suppose) almost every bloke wore at least a bit of make-up. I still have friends (though not in Texas) who wear make-up. Drag queens are great. The only time I'm unsettled by them is when they seem to be expressing a contempt or dislike for women. What I REALLY like is where people blur the lines so thoroughly (as with Boy George) that the difference is completely obscured. One of the reasons I was so disappointed with The Final Programme movie was because the director was so straight he kept making silly sexist jokes where none had existed in the book. One of the things the Cornelius Quartet was supposed to do was celebrate transgenderism, not satirise or mock it.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Aaah, Blue Monday! How could I forget?

I agree with you though, on what Eddie Izzard referred to as "equal clothing rights". One of the things that always appealed to me about Goths, although I never had the nerve to devote myself to any one fashion beyond "plaid shirt geek", was how gorgeous their clothes were. You really can't beat a good bit of velvet and some eye-liner... although, I've never had the guts myself. In an ideal world, perhaps. I don't like to look back too much or believe that previous generations had an easier time of it, but I do prefer a lot of the fashions from the 60s to the formless hoodie-and-jeans we wear these days.

Also, I agree there's a danger inherent in "drag" that rather than simply being an expression of repressed femininity, or an art form in itself, it might be twisted into a mockery of the female form or female characteristics. I recently posted a quote (in a different thread) from a feminist writer to the effect that Women's Liberation was concerned with the liberation of the masculine in women and the feminine in men. I'm all for that, but if we start to aspire to cartoonish cliches, well that isn't helping anyone. I've always liked the idea of being able to meet in the middle somewhere, and obviously the androgyny is a good example of that... and also, kinda cute to boot.

Apart from all of that, I think it's rather ridiculous of men to complain about how long it takes women to "get ready" if they've never tried to at least apply an even layer of nail polish!

D...
                      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Hedwig ::SPOILER::

Hedwig ::SPOILER::

Well, I can't resist telling you the stage ending I saw (it's only a subtle difference really, but I guess it depends on how you take it).

|
                        |
                        |
                        |
                        |
                        |
                        | ----------SPOILER ALERT----------
                        |
                        |
                        |
                        |
                        |
                        |

There is no Tommy Gnosis. There is only Hedwig, and even he may not be what you think he is (and there may be the usual, instead of just the "angry inch"). In other words, the version I saw (SF, last year) showed a complete "undressing" of the main split-personality character into a kind of Pre-Hedwig/Pre-Gnosis "adult Hansel" state of being. The whole show is an imaginary investigation into adopted roles and the meaning of identity. At the very end, the character we perceive as Hedwig (now very much the man) walks off with Yitzhak (herself undressed and now very much a woman).

It was pretty amazing. I heard people gasp in the audience. In SF, of all places, they played it straight!!!

BTW, it's coming to your neck of the woods:
                        http://www.hedwigandtheangryinch.co.uk/hedhome.htm
                        Preview Friday 30th April 2004. Opening night Saturday 1st May 2004
                        Then 4-8 May and 10-15 May at 8pm

Strangely, the people I know that most like Hedwig are all women. It was one of my exs that took me to the show in fact. She was dressed as a kind of goth-Hedwig, which was not at all a bad thing.

::wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know-what-I-mean::

Comment

Remember New Order? I listen to them all the time. I have the Republic cd in my car cd tray. 8)

Love that New Order - Depeche Mode remix (Blue Monday+Strange Love, I think). And how about The Cure. I was in high school in the eighties. I have all that stuff.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Working...
                          X